shape
carat
color
clarity

db's 1.20 G - and that's my final answer!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the new stone.
After reading the cut threads and watching the James Allen interview, I decided to wing it. I used my eyes to pick the stone, and checked the HCA afterwards. Interesting results.
By now, I have to say I had a really good idea of what I was looking for (I had a visual preconception). Kim at Smyth in Baltimore was fun to work with and we looks at lots & lots of stones til I narrowed it down to this one:

RB
6.8 - 6.87 x 4.22 mm
AGS Ideal 0
G
SI1 (this looked better than some of the VS2''s we looked at... funny how they vary!)
1.206 cts
flour: neg.
table 56.4%
Depth 61.7%
crown 34.9
pavillion 41.1

The setting is no longer pleasing to my eye, so I am off to Quest this afternoon to work out a solution. I''m going to sketch what I want and see if they can fix this or make a new solitaire from scratch.
This is really it, for now.
Hubby is out helping our oldest buy a car [$$)] and on Monday we book the middle''s flight for her upcoming year abroad.
34.gif
The youngest is looking at colleges now... Oh these kids! And will any of them even notice my new rock ?? NO!
20.gif
that''s OK............ THAT IS WHAT PS IS FOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANKS EVERYBODY FOR ALL I HAVE LEARNED FROM YOU!!!!!!!!!! I''ve had so much fun playing diamond ring.

IMG_0640.jpg

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
with my wedding band

IMG_0614.jpg

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
another

IMG_0619.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! You can''t go wrong with an AGS0! And I love clean SI1s (mine is too). Good luck putting it in a new setting! What did you have in mind?

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I want a simple solitaire- something narrower than my 3mm wedding band. It has to be rounded & comfort fit.

As far as the head- I''ve seen a U-shaped mounting I loved and I will try to sketch it.
or- maybe they can re-do the x-prong in a way that looks better?
or- it could sit on a peg with a 4 prong tulip-y (stuller solstice-y?) sort of head.

And I want it set as low as possible. That''s one of the things I love about your new puppy, KD...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay wait, I''m confused now. Is this stone #3? Or stone #2?
33.gif
37.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Your new diamond is just gorgeous!!!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
It looks great!! Let us know what Quest says.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it DG...it looks right at home on your hand, lovely hands by the way!!

Can''t wait to see what you come up with for the final setting. But great stone choice!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you made a great choice! And it looks beautiful like it is until you find your dream setting!

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Can''t wait to see your new setting! Though, I do love the classic one you have right now.
30.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
thanks, all ...

This is my 3rd (and final stone).
Stone #2 only lasted a week. It was a nice change to go from J to E, but I also wanted just a little more size, too.

From start to finish, here's the score card:

#1 1.0 J I1
#2 1.0 E SI2
#3 1.2 G SI1

My jeweler was more than happy to accomodate my indecision and suggested, "maybe you'll be back next week for that 1.5 ct!"
No, I better not!!

At Quest, Pete persuaded me to stick with the setting I have, just the way it is.
I didn't push back too hard.
It probably is not wise to get something else based on sketches. I need to see it first and know it is just right.

I am already COMPLETELY adjusted to seeing the bigger stone, so I'm glad I got it.
28.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
comparison

#2 E SI2
#3 G SI1

Both AGS0

E 1.0 next to G1.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
very beautiful db.
30.gif
36.gif

Swedeabroad

Rough_Rock
Honestly I think your new solitaire looks great with your old wedding band. It looks understated and classic
36.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks swedeabroad...
I often wear the ruby & diamond eternity band as a RHR because the plain gold set is so comfortable. Nothing like smooth comfort-fit rings!

And I am thinking it is time to focus on a completely new piece. I briefly considered the thought that I should stop messing around so much with diamonds, but that didn't feel fun at all!

So .... I can see myself picking up a smaller diamond from White Flash or thru Quest and set it as a pendant. Upgrade it from time to time, til I can make a fabulous RHR. A lot of the more intricate styles (halos & whatnot) would make a nice contrast for me to wear on my right hand.

thanks for the 'nice hands' Mara!
I use Sally Hansen's 5 Minute Manicure- that stuff really works!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it looks great on your hand!!!

Gorgeous!!
30.gif

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Hehe...size wise I just went from a 1.04 to a 1.21ct myself. The new ones looks a lot bigger on your hand (more so than mine does!) I think a G, SI combo is a great choice as well. I personally found that the E was a little too white for me.

Did you not like the J color? Was it too tinted for you?

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Your plain set looks just like mine and I love it. I know what you mean about comfort, I never take mine off. It''s a plain platinum x-prong with the same width band. My diamond is 1.02 E SI2 like your first one and I won''t be upgrading.

I love your new stone and I am also a HUGE fan of the G SI1 combo. I would have chosen that if they had some in stock when I purchased. Wear it in good health!!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
pebbles -- hee hee NOW I remember that your SMTR pics influeneced me!
I now remember that I liked the size jump you made!

and mariahlyn, I have thought the same thing about your rings. They remind me so much of mine. I had to have my setting re-done, too, to improve the overall craftsmanship.

Yeah, honestly, the E was too white.

As I became more familiar with diamonds I found myself to be color sensitive. When I was looking and comparing stones, I found that I could consistently pick the whitest stone in the pile.
I had much more difficulty selecting the superior cut.

The G turned out to be my sweet spot. Just enough color to mellow it out.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn''t that a funny thing about color? My original e-ring is E color and sometimes it just looks too icily white and "flat" somehow. I still love it, but the slight creaminess of my H stone gives me warm fuzzies!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results