shape
carat
color
clarity

David R. Boggess? Using appraisers who buy/sell jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in Southern California and have been trying to find an appraiser who can provide a comprehensive appraisal that includes a total cut analysis with Sarin, etc. with the latest technology. The ones I have emailed from the independent appraiser list have either not responded to my questions about the technology they use or cannot provide the services I''m looking for. I found David R. Boggess from the National Association of Jewelry Appraisers'' website. His website appears impressive and he has access to a lot of the technologies I am looking for. HOWEVER, he buys and sells jewelry and thus, is not independent. Does anyone have any experience with him? If I use a non-independent appraiser, should I approach the process differently than if I use an independent one? Thanks!

AndyMN

Rough_Rock
Trade
Have you considered sending the diamond and/or setting to one of the appraiser-contributors from Pricescope? They have a pretty loyal following here. I''ve noticed that Neil Beaty, in particular, posts quite a bit, is located in Denver and has all the latest measuring tools, etc.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I live in So Cal and shipped mine to Richard Sherwood in Sarasota. He uses plenty of high tech toys and is extremely good.

I would also be happy to use Dave Atlas (Oldminer) or Neil Beaty (Denver Appraiser)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some appraisers successfully wear two hats depending on the job they are doing for their client. Others just can''t distinguish one job from another. What you and others need who want an objective opinion is to find an appraiser capable of doing the correct job for you without bias.

In my own case, I have never been a retailer. I used to be a wholesaler of modern, antique reproduction and authentic estate jewelry along with old cut diamonds and many colored gems. I only sold to the trade. However, I bought on opportunity primarily from dealers , but often from members of the public. All during that period, my firm was appraising jewelry and rarely did one operation come into conflict with the other. We did not offer to buy items unless we were asked if we were interested from appraisal clients. Rarely did we perform an appraisal and then buy the items. I''d simply prefer to buy outright and save the client the appraisal fee. It takes less time and costs everyone less.

The typical consumer can''t take a diamond or a piece of jewelry bought somewhre else to an "appraiser-retailer" and be fully confident of getting a truly unbiased appraisal. Sure, a few appraisers of that sort exist who just simply are honest and fair, but there are far more who will tell you to return the item and buy a better one from them. Vendors fear that every appraiser-retailer is like this, but not every last one is a rotten apple. The problem is the majority can''t be unbiased and have created a lot of fear.

Reputation goes a long way in choosing who to trust for an appraisal. Overall, nothing is a substitute for many years of doing the right things. Avoiding appraiser-retailers when you need unbiased appraisals on new items is a good idea, but the concept that an appraiser can''t be an honest buyer is not a correct perception in most instances and especially where the appraisal of newly purchased items is concerned.

Darthkim

Rough_Rock
Hi panda08,

Did you end up finding an appraiser in OC? I just came across David Boggess website, and his duality has me a little bit concerned.

I''m still waiting for my ring to arrive.

Here are the people i came up with for my appraisal.

Patrick Davis - http://www.certifiedjewelryappraiser.com/
Nancy Stacy - http://www.jewelry-appraisal.com/

I believe nancy posts on PS, i just happen to click on her link in one of the Appraisal Threads.

Hope to find someone in OC, but if not, a drive to LA it is...

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/4/2008 9:00:17 PM
Author: Darthkim
Hi panda08,

Did you end up finding an appraiser in OC? I just came across David Boggess website, and his duality has me a little bit concerned.

I''m still waiting for my ring to arrive.

Here are the people i came up with for my appraisal.

Patrick Davis - http://www.certifiedjewelryappraiser.com/

Nancy Stacy - http://www.jewelry-appraisal.com/

I believe nancy posts on PS, i just happen to click on her link in one of the Appraisal Threads.

Hope to find someone in OC, but if not, a drive to LA it is...

I didn''t wind up using Boggess because of my concerns about whether he''d be truly unbiased. I emailed Patrick Davis but he never responded to me. I did not come across Nancy Stacy in my search. I initially contacted Gina D''Onofrio, who was very friendly and helpful but unfortunately could not fit me into her schedule. In the end, I used Geoffrey Nelson, who''s in Pasadena and part of a group of appraisers known as Jewelry Judges. Their website is www.jewelryjudge.net.

Darthkim

Rough_Rock
Thanks Panda08.

I''ll give them a try.

May I ask how much it came out to?

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2008 1:35:16 AM
Author: Darthkim
Thanks Panda08.

I''ll give them a try.

May I ask how much it came out to?

You''re welcome! It was $125.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results