shape
carat
color
clarity

David Klass/AVC engagement ring

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello! I thought I'd start my own thread about the engagement ring I'm having designed by David Klass. I found his name on this site so thanks for that. I'm involved in the process of making my ER because I'm picky and I know what I like, at least I think I do lol seeing all of the beautiful rings on this site seems to confuse me in regards to what I want my ring to be.:confused:
Honestly when we started looking for rings I had my mind set on a rose gold cushion cut with a halo and a peachy pink gemstone. I was going to order the ring from a seller on etsy but had a couple of questions first. The seller never responded to me so I guess that it was a blessing in disguise.
Then I discovered mossanite, again thanks to this site! I contacted David Klass and he recommended a AVC for my center stone. I have yet to order it though. I've also been talking to Jonathan regarding the stone. It's hard for me to picture what the size I want will look like on my hand. Most of what I see online are like 2c or more. While I think they are pretty I want mine to be smaller. I sent DK the specs for a 1.25c (6.75 x 6.1) and he's suppose to get started on the design. My AVC will have a petite halo around it and I'm a little worried that it will be too big. I don't really wear any other jewerly so I don't want my ER to be too big or get in my way of everyday activities. For reference my ring size is 4.5
I'm currently trying to decide between RG and WG. The process is making me crazy! And I'm sure it's making my future fiance a little cray also.:wall: Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome, @StaceyP ! :wavey:

Check out diamdb.com. That site lets you plug in the carat weight and size in mm of your potential stone, as well as your finger size and width/color of the band. That will let you see what different sizes of stones would look like on your hand. I’ve found it to be so helpful!

And you can’t go wrong with an AVC. They’re perfect in every way! I have no doubt that David Klass will make you an absolutely beautiful setting. I can’t wait to see what you wind up with! :love:

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Irishgrrrl , believe me I have been on diamdb.com alot. It's still hard for me to picture because of the halo. I'd like to go into a local jewelry store to try things on just to get an idea of size but we went to a few when we started looking and I wasn't a fan of the experience because of how pressured I felt to buy something.
Hopefully DK will have something for me soon. I've been checking my email obsessively hoping that one is from him.:pray:

Sezzwho

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for him to make me a solitaire so a little bit different... but what I did was order cheap cz rings in the shape/stone size I'm interested in. It helped me figure out what my personal sweet spot is for size.

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Sezzwho, What size did you end up picking and what is your ring size?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! :dance:
You’re talking to both David Klass and Jonathan at August Vintage so I think you’re off to a great start. Do you have a pic of the setting you like? Halo’s come in all sorts of different looks, especially depending on the size of the diamonds in said halo. That could affect the size AVC you want. What about the shank? Do you want a simple shank or one with diamonds? Or even an engraved shank? I vote for rose gold but that’s purely because mine is rose gold and I freaking love the look. If you wear more white gold, that may be better for you.

Having just bought an AVC from @Rhino, I will say it’s devine! You’re going to love the cutting and it’s so bright and sparkly. :kiss2: Mine is a 3ct and it is large (no getting around that). My finger is a 4.5 as well (though I have to wear a 4.75 to get it back over my knuckles). I think a 1.25 to 1.5 is a very realistic size and a halo will give you just a little extra finger coverage.

You’re best bet is to go to the local shops (something like a Kay’s or Zales would be good. They are pushy but not as pushy as a smaller family owned jewelry shop). You can say your expecting to get engaged soon and just trying to figure out what styles work for your finger. They are always more than happy to let you try on a bunch of rings. That will give you an idea on both diamond size and gold colors.

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have a picture of the type of halo I want. I'll try to post it. The shank will have diamonds but I also want it to be thin. I know that I want the halo to be seemless with the AVC. I don't want a noticeable gap between them. I'm not sure if I want single or double claw prongs yet. I want my ER to have a low profile but also be able to have a band sit flush with it. I thought about going with a 1.5c but only if I were to do away with the halo. I've wanted a halo for a long time so I don't see that happening. I honestly wear no other jewerly besides a couple of bracelets on occasion. I love rose gold but i dont know if it looks good with my skin tone.
We are going out of town next weekend so that might be a good opportunity to try on rings in a different city.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s lovely. :love: The shank looks like it may be channel set. Is that what your looking for?
I love the top view. Have you considered the profile view yet? That’s something you will want to pass on to David Klass, when the time comes.

Sezzwho

Rough_Rock
@Sezzwho, What size did you end up picking and what is your ring size?
I actually found a 7.5mm cushion as well as a 9x7 radiant. I liked the rectangular shape but prefer a cushion. 9x7 was my sweet spot but after reading here it seems like it's less likely to have a bowtie in a 9x8mm so I'll be doing that. It's a bit bigger than I had wanted but after wearing my cz rings I realized shrinkage is definitely a thing for me so it will be fine after I get used to it. I also have larger fingers too... size 8. If I had tiny fingers I would likely go down. :D

Sezzwho

Rough_Rock
I feel like I've seen side profiles on MoissaniteCo IG that would suit what you need to allow it to sit flush. I mention them because they have a lot of videos. I love the petite halo on that one. Isn't there a lovely Tacori that has a petite halo? I apologize for not being sure. I hadn't paid as much attention to halo details. I just remember admiring the petite ones with no gap... exactly what you're after. I'd also look at pictures/videos to determine what type of band setting speaks to you. Just looking at that it sure seems like 7mm is a good size to consider.

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
That’s lovely. :love: The shank looks like it may be channel set. Is that what your looking for?
I love the top view. Have you considered the profile view yet? That’s something you will want to pass on to David Klass, when the time comes.
No, I actually told DK that I don't want my shank to look like the one in the picture. It's a beautiful ring but I don't really like channel set. The profile is something I'm not 100 percent on (seems like I'm not 100 percent on anything :doh:)

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
I feel like I've seen side profiles on MoissaniteCo IG that would suit what you need to allow it to sit flush. I mention them because they have a lot of videos. I love the petite halo on that one. Isn't there a lovely Tacori that has a petite halo? I apologize for not being sure. I hadn't paid as much attention to halo details. I just remember admiring the petite ones with no gap... exactly what you're after. I'd also look at pictures/videos to determine what type of band setting speaks to you. Just looking at that it sure seems like 7mm is a good size to consider.
I'm pretty sure that this ring is a Tacori setting and that it has a AVC diamond in it. I will check that site out for some inspiration, Thanks.

Sezzwho

Rough_Rock
Ahhh that makes sense. It's a stunner. It's delicate looking with just the right sparkle. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
20180416_225906.png
I found this picture online and I have to say I love the milgrain halo. Any thoughts on how it would look with a micro pave shank in rose gold.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20180416_225906.png
I found this picture online and I have to say I love the milgrain halo. Any thoughts on how it would look with a micro pave shank in rose gold.

I think that would be awesome! :appl:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20180416_225906.png
I think it would be incredible. It’s beautiful. I do love the first inspiration you posted too with the tight delicate halo and double claws but this is so clean and really emphasises that cushion shape.
Who is this by?

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
I haven't had any luck finding that out but I'm really thinking about sending it to David Klass. I'm still stuck on how I want the rest of my ER to look. I have a million different thoughts about it. I do want my ring to have some milgrain in it because my girlfriends ring will also have it, she will only have a band though. Not that i want to be all matchy matchy :lol:
Any guesses on what the size of the stone is?

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
I feel like this process is taking forever. You would think that I would have started this a long time ago. I mean I've only have 11 years

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
This is the first picture I was sent. 1525452048523_20180427_101835.jpg
I asked him to remove the part where I put the yellow X and to make it double claw prongs. So he sent this...
1525452011534_44232-QUAD.jpg
I don't know what to do about the basket. I just know I don't want this. I've been thinking about a tulip basket but it seems like it would be hard to clean? Something like this
Screenshot_20180504-125046.jpg
I need help... inspiration...something lol

Attachments

• 1525452048523_20180427_101835.jpg
    1525452048523_20180427_101835.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 1525452011534_44232-QUAD.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 25

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is thie first picture I was sent. 1525452048523_20180427_101835.jpg
I asked him to remove the part where I put the yellow X and to make it double claw prongs. So he sent this...
I don't know what to do about the basket. I just know I don't want this. I've been thinking about a tulip basket but it seems like it would be hard to clean? Something like this
Screenshot_20180504-125046.jpg
I need help... inspiration...something lol

So...at first I would look through a lot of threads here on the forum. I would begin here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/smtr-helpful-threads-archive.131796/

Here you can find different threads about only solitaires or only halos with a lot of picture, and other kind of very inspiring threads.

Then you can check Pinterest for inspiration pictures, or go to James Allen, and check their settings, just to have an idea about your possibilities.

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure what color range I should buy. I still dont know if I'm going with rose gold or white gold. So my question is would a g-h moissanite look differently in rose gold vs white gold? Or a I-J ?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Think you need to spend sometime looking through threads to get an idea on your color/metal/halo preference. Don't rush it!
Also in Davids drawing is represented in mm so you can easily see the overall size do some rough cut outs and put them on your finger and take some photos. That will give you a good idea as to whether you want to go bigger or smaller.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I think the tulip basket will give the solitaire some beautiful side detail. You can get a jewelry cleaner that comes with a brush so it is not hard to clean and I wouldn’t worry about that. You could also do a hidden halo? My two cents on a couple of things - most of my rings are platinum but I wanted an alternative set in rose gold so I got a morganite. I love the idea of rose gold but I have very pink skin undertones and it just looks terrible on me. I spent a lot of money and never wear it. Something to consider if you feel it is not right. It might be different with a white stone to balance out the rose gold but I am not a fan. I personally prefer G/H stones because I don’t like the icy white look. This is all about personal preference. My G/H stones are still pretty white. The size you are looking at will not look too big on your hand. It will be a good size for everyday wear. It looks like you don’t want a cathedral setting and want to keep it low profile? Just keep in mind that it is harder to get bands to sit flush so that is something to consider. I would tell DK whether you mind if the band can sit flush or not before he starts production on your ring. I also have many rings with different size stones. I don’t usually put double claw prongs on smaller stones because it becomes ‘prong heavy’ and you will lose a lot of the detail of your AVC. I am sure I am creating more confusion but I think DK will help guide you through this process.

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks for everyone's replies. We went to a jewelry store last night so that I could try on a moissanite ring. There is nothing about this ring that I like. I just wanted to get an idea of what a 6mm would look like on my hand.
received_10209851529003557.jpeg

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
No turning back now! I just placed the order for my 1.25ct August vintage cushion cut moissanite

StaceyP

Rough_Rock
Premium
44232-QUAD(2).jpg I'm really dragging my feet on this. My stone has been with David Klass for a while now but I just can't seem to find what I want the gallery to be. This is the latest thing he sent me but I'm not liking the criss cross pattern.
This one has the actual size of my stone in it. It will be white gold with a milgrain halo. The band is suppose to be micro pave but I'm wondering if I should do shared prongs.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
44232-QUAD(2).jpg I'm really dragging my feet on this. My stone has been with David Klass for a while now but I just can't seem to find what I want the gallery to be. This is the latest thing he sent me but I'm not liking the criss cross pattern.
This one has the actual size of my stone in it. It will be white gold with a milgrain halo. The band is suppose to be micro pave but I'm wondering if I should do shared prongs.

What if the gallery had some sort of milgrain/antique design instead of the straight support strut across? With the pave and double claw prongs, the architectural look of that bar may look better modified to a more light and airy design. Are you wanting a more modern look or antique? David has done so many beautiful antique gallery designs, and there are a TON of Jewelers you could gain inspiration from depending on the direction you want to go in. Do you have any inspo pics you could share?

I also think pave instead of shared prong would again lend to the delicate look of the milgrain halo and double claw prongs. Just my opinion though! ;)2

And I completely understand dragging your feet and not knowing exactly what you want. I’ve been researching for TWO YEARS and just now figured it out. My final round of CADs should be coming from David in the next few days. It’s been a long endeavor but fun! I’ll honestly be kinda sad when it’s over. :cry2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results