shape
carat
color
clarity

Darknesss in Ideal Cut Diamonds

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I've been doing some research on why ideal cut stones look dark, and think I understand the general explanation- that the stones are returning so much light the human eye compensates and makes them darker. Ok, fine.

But here's my question- why would you want a stone to do this? Wouldn't it be better to have a stone that your eye didn't have to darken? I'm sure this post sounds fairly ignorant, so teach me, oh wise ones!

(oops, sorry for the typo in the subject)

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i think its less that they are "dark" and more that there is definitive contrast. lots of black and light. so depending on the lighting and the environment you can see blinding white or blacked out. my EC is more or less an ideal cut fancy (i know its different than a round) and thats the case with my stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 1:50:28 PM
Author:amc80
I''ve been doing some research on why ideal cut stones look dark, and think I understand the general explanation- that the stones are returning so much light the human eye compensates and makes them darker. Ok, fine.

But here''s my question- why would you want a stone to do this? Wouldn''t it be better to have a stone that your eye didn''t have to darken? I''m sure this post sounds fairly ignorant, so teach me, oh wise ones!

It only happens in super bright sunlight or spot lighting, so it is uncommon. And the corrolary of this darkening is FIRE. You get the most fire in lighting that "darkens" the body of the diamond. It is part of the optics. Get rid of it with a different cut and you will sacrifice fire I am betting.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 1:56:15 PM
Author: dreamer_d
Date: 6/28/2010 1:50:28 PM

Author:amc80

I''ve been doing some research on why ideal cut stones look dark, and think I understand the general explanation- that the stones are returning so much light the human eye compensates and makes them darker. Ok, fine.

But here''s my question- why would you want a stone to do this? Wouldn''t it be better to have a stone that your eye didn''t have to darken? I''m sure this post sounds fairly ignorant, so teach me, oh wise ones!

It only happens in super bright sunlight or spot lighting, so it is uncommon. And the corrolary of this darkening is FIRE. You get the most fire in lighting that ''darkens'' the body of the diamond. It is part of the optics. Get rid of it with a different cut and you will sacrifice fire I am betting.

That makes sense. Thanks, everyone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results