shape
carat
color
clarity

Dark emeralds in white or yellow gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m thinking of getting this emerald set in an antique style mounting. Do you think it would look better in white or yellow gold?

It''s a medium dark green around 2 to 3 carats.

darkemerald.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From your picture it looks a teal green? If so I think you could use either white or yellow gold and it would look lovely!

I have a photo of a dark forest green Emerald in platinum if you want to see it - and can probably find a photo of a lighter green in yellow gold to give you a comparison. Shout if you want to see piccies.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
With the tealish green I like white metals. For forest green I like gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not teal green really. It''s pretty typical dark medium Columbian green. Here''s a pic in white gold mount that doesn''t obviously fit. The above pic was taken in hallogen lights, and this pic in dim sunlight. This gives a better idea of the green. It looks nice in white, but I was wondering if yellow would be nicer. Maybe the green would stand out more in white????

emerald_in_white.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 3:07:18 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
From your picture it looks a teal green? If so I think you could use either white or yellow gold and it would look lovely!

I have a photo of a dark forest green Emerald in platinum if you want to see it - and can probably find a photo of a lighter green in yellow gold to give you a comparison. Shout if you want to see piccies.
Are you kidding me?! Of course I want to see pictures!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I usually always like emeralds in yellow gold, but I think that in an antique setting that stone would look better in white gold. The stone seems to have more of a blue undertone than a yellow undertone, so I think that the yellow gold might look weird (for lack of a better word) with the stone because of the warm tone of the gold and the cooler tone of the stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 3:25:23 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 11/20/2008 3:07:18 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Are you kidding me?! Of course I want to see pictures!

You do make me giggle TL! Your wish is my command .................
First up, in Platinum:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
White gold:

ETA - oooops don't know what happened here!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
White gold - never thought I''d like Emeralds in white gold but I do!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not particularly a great Emerald but this gives you an idea of the yellow gold option:

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I think it would look amazing in yellow gold!

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Wow! I was all ready to say yellow gold, until I saw the pictures. I really like the look with white gold.
3.gif
18.gif
30.gif

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
after seeing pics, i think white gold would look awesome! beautiful emerald, tourmaline_lover. it''s so bright!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m still sticking with white gold for that color stone!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 4:14:50 PM
Author: laurel25
I usually always like emeralds in yellow gold, but I think that in an antique setting that stone would look better in white gold. The stone seems to have more of a blue undertone than a yellow undertone, so I think that the yellow gold might look weird (for lack of a better word) with the stone because of the warm tone of the gold and the cooler tone of the stone.
Just the opposite! Yellow balances that blue tint, making the stone more of a pure green. That's why valuable emeralds are in majority of the cases set in yellow gold; to bring out the purest possible green in a (mostly) bluish-green stone.

White would also make it darker, cause it would give a stronger contrast to an already medium-dark stone. Yellow also brings richness to stones with a strong color saturation.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results