shape
carat
color
clarity

Damaging a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
What does it take to damage a diamond? I bump my ring with tables and such, and today I dropped it on the floor. Would dropping it 3 feet onto a hard wood floor damage it?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2009 4:28:46 PM
Author:Diamond Confused
What does it take to damage a diamond? I bump my ring with tables and such, and today I dropped it on the floor. Would dropping it 3 feet onto a hard wood floor damage it?
Bad luck, a heavy blow etc can damage diamonds but thankfully it is rare that a diamond does get hurt and you are probably fine! If you are worried, take the diamond to a pro who can take a look for you or if you have a loupe you can check it out yourself.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
There have been PSers who''ve damaged their diamonds by dropping them on to tile floors etc., so be careful! I''m so paranoid about that!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 4:33:52 PM
Author: Lorelei

Bad luck, a heavy blow etc can damage diamonds but thankfully it is rare that a diamond does get hurt and you are probably fine! If you are worried, take the diamond to a pro who can take a look for you or if you have a loupe you can check it out yourself.

ditto Lorelei. 3 feet on hardwood--probably fine--much better than concrete etc, but because of diamond's cleavage, they can definitely break, so I always take care. It's a good idea to loupe your stone and commit it to memory, so if anything looks off--you'll know and can take it in immediately.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Don''t take your ring off over a hard surface ESPECIALLY in the bathroom or someplace where there is tile and open drains. I try to take mine off over a table. Most whacks can''t be avoided and we all cringe when they happen. But you can prevent dropping with a little planning. Hopefully yours if fine but get it checked to make sure you didn''t bend a prong.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results