shape
carat
color
clarity

Damaged CE diamond

denisd

Rough_Rock
Need advice on what to do with a damaged clarity enhanced Diamond. Here's my story. I knowingly purchased a 1.05 carat engagement with an SI-1* enhanced center stone from a popular online diamond auction site. I thought I did my research when buying the enhanced diamond and believed I was getting a good deal. I proposed to my fiance last week. She loved the ring however she need it resized and decided to get it rhodium plated and have the shank widened while she was at it. Eager to be able to ware her ring, she dropped it off to a local jeweler and picked it up the next day. That afternoon I got a call at work from her telling me that the ring looked different and sure enough when I got a chance to see it there were now visible fractures through the diamond when looked at closely. We immediate contact the jeweler and asked what happened. He tried to tell us that it was like that when it was dropped off (which it most certainly was not). Unhappy with that response we decided to bring it to another local jeweler who had a gemologist on staff to have a look at it. This time we also had the grading cert I received with the diamond. She looked at the diamond and then the cert (which indicated the diamond was enhanced)and she immediately informed us that because it is an enhanced stone it was likely damaged when the jeweler subjected it to heat. She then asked did we inform him of the rings enhanced status. Unfortunately I was unaware of the risks of working on enhanced diamonds and that most jewelers refuse to touch them. With this info we now realized that it was at least partially our fault for not informing the jeweler of the diamonds enhancement, however he did try to tell us that it was that way when we dropped it off, which was dishonest on his part. Luckily for us, and to his credit however when we confronted him he did agree to source a new diamond and split the cost of the new stone at his cost price. In the end I guess I ended paying local market cost on the ring and my fiance is content even though it ended up costing me extra $$. My questing now is what to do with the damaged diamond? The jeweler believes that what I have now (likely an I3 clarity or worse if possible) is what the diamond was originally like before being enhanced and that perhaps I can get it refilled. Does anyone know if it is possible to get this diamond re-enhanced if that is the case? If so, who can do it and how much would if cost? I was thinking if it can be repaired we could use in in a pendent. Alternatively can the stone be broke down into smaller diamonds?
Any advice would be appreciated.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately we arent allowed to talk about CE stones in this forum.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1446226730|3943874 said:

Are you sure about that? The community agreement addresses simulants, but I don't see anything related to clarity-enhanced diamonds. :read: :confused: I wouldn't be surprised if there are guidelines beyond the "community agreement" on our user page - I might even have stumbled upon them at some point - but that's the only restriction I could find.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1446226730|3943874 said:
Seems to be fine to discuss treated/enhanced natural (mined) diamonds. Not prohibited by anything set forth on Forum Policies page, there are a number of threads about CE diamonds here in Rocky Talky, and there's at least one Show me your clarity enhanced diamonds! thread in the Show Me Your Bling forum.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say that it is probably not worth putting more money into, although only an appraiser familiar with CE could tell you for sure. I wish you had come here first, because we would have strongly warned against buying a CE diamond. I'd recommend certain simulants over CE. I surely hope the replacement stone is not clarity enhanced.

denisd

Rough_Rock
No it is not a CE stone. The Jeweler said he does not deal with them. Again its going to cost me, but at least I'll be splitting it with the him. Even though the stone is virtually worthless now its not unless you look really closely that you can see the fracture. Perhaps it may be still worth putting in a cheap gold pendent. Thanks for the reply.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yehuda, the oldest and largest of the companies in this business, is actually is very supportive of people with this problem, even if the filling started out being done by someone else. Contact a Yehuda dealer and see if they can help you out. There's a fee if you don't have their warranty card, of course, but it's not usually all that high.

www.yehuda.com

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could ask your jeweler about ordering a pendant mounting from Stuller (which does not sell directly to consumers, is strictly a wholesaler). Because their mountings aren't chintzy, Stuller isn't dirt cheap, but their merchandise is reasonably priced for the quality & they offer a wide variety of styles and metal alloys.

Portal page to Stuller's online catalogue pages for pendant/necklace mountings for diamonds here; Stuller's wholesale prices available only to jewelers & others in the trade, but you will be able to see all that's available & filter listings by, e.g., pendant style & shape of your diamond:
http://www.stuller.com/browse/mountings/neckwear/necklaces-and-pendants/?page=1&facetValues%5B0%5D.First=cat4&facetValues%5B0%5D.Second=3_11152_11182_11183

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My bad...I got confused :loopy: :cheeky: :loopy: !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results