shape
carat
color
clarity

Daily Workout Thread 4/25

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Good Morning Ladies
3.gif
FOr the third day running I skipped out on wieghts. My fever is up and and my allergies are killing me so I am acting kinda whimpy. I did 40 mins on the eleptical machine after a ten minute warm up on the exercise bike. I walked five miles last night. It feels good to move I just wish the evil pollen would go away
20.gif
. Still I am thinking of adding weights to my walking routine. I know everyone is really busy, I have dead week this week and final next. I know ya''ll are exercising so post! Have a great day.
35.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Mataora- keep up the amazing work! You really stick with it and give it your all, even when you''re feeling under the weather! Such inspiration for this tired old body! I know that whenever I used weights during walking I could really feel my heart rate soar and by the end of the walk my arms felt like lead! I wonder if those weighted-vests I see in exercise mags offer the same type of benefits?

Well after a 4-day weekend of depression (thanks to my job,) over-eating and general laziness I did get up this a.m., go to the gym and get back in the groove with 1 strong hour on the arc trainer. Whenever the place isn''t too busy I''m going to try to get those 1 hr workouts in. And I swear I''m going to start the weight-training circuit machines tomorrow! As for WW, I think I have to find my own way with weight loss- perhaps taking the wisdom from several different plans will work for me......

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I am lazy. I am horrible. I have absolutely no excuses.
I''m going to feel fat and nasty for my trip no matter what I do because there is no way I can lose 10 pounds in two weeks without doing something harmful to my body.
However, I''m determined not to let this slump last. So far nothing I do has helped me lose weight -- I can excercise or not, eat little or a lot, drink nothing or a ton -- it doesn''t matter. However, I know that I always feel better when I excercise, don''t gorge on food and don''t get so drunk that I can''t remember things so I''m determined to be healthier because it just feels better even if I don''t see results.

This weekend I realized that my bf knows what size I wear. I don''t know why I didn''t think he knew this -- we live together and all. But I''m still shy around him. So it was comforting to realize that he knows my size and still loves me. Not that I want to stay this way and I know that he would prefer it if I lost weight, but I know that I''m not disgusting to him which is how I''ve been feeling a bit lately.

In my good news corner, I bought a new outfit this weekend and actually had to buy a size 8 -- one size smaller than I usually am. It wasn''t that I could squeeze into it -- a 10 was actually too big. Yeah!
36.gif

Then, of course, I binged at the Passover Sedar, but hey... the skirt still fit and wasn''t tight!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Ammayer - Congrats on the smaller outfit!! I love that feeling when I have to get a size smaller than usual!
1.gif

I think I may start joining you guys soon in the workout thread, I need to tone up. This nice weather has made me realize I need to get rid of the jiggle on my arms and thighs!! How would I do this, since I don''t need to actually lose any weight? Do I measure the inches on my arms and thighs, tone them up and see results that way? This is the first time I''ll be hitting the gym with the goal of only toning and not losing (if I lose any more I might blow away, as my mama has put it
20.gif
).

anyway, I''m not an LIW, but can I play?
9.gif

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the game! All are invited, LIW or not...

You don''t really need to measure yourself. Just do some toning excercises... you''ll be able to see the difference. Just do some light cardio to warm up and start with light free weights.

Good luck!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!
1.gif
I like the weight machines at the gym, so I''ll probably go in for an hour a few times a week and start with that. There''s a lake not too far from my house that I like to jog around. It''s a mile around, so I usually go around twice for two miles (I hate running
14.gif
). The biggest challenge right now is my husband. He''s gained alot of weight in the past year and needs to lose about 25 lbs. He''s really self-conscious about it, even around me. I tell him that I still find him sexy and hot, because I really do!! But I don''t think he believes me, and I''ve been there before, so I know what he''s feeling
15.gif
. So even though I''m pretty happy with my body on the whole, I want to start working out with him for some motivation and support. Plus it will be a shared experience that we''ll have and be spending some time together, something we don''t get to do too often lately. Hope it helps him
19.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey girls - sorry for the temporary absence. I have been sticking to my first week of WW pretty well (if I do say so myself
3.gif
in spite of passover seder with my dad+stepmom which totally stresses me out and usually makes me eat too much). I have only used about 10 "flex points" and other than that I have stuck to the core plan. I still think I could get a bit better on my dinner portions because I tend to be a bit too hungry by the time FI comes home, but I''m working on that. Official first week weigh-in is tomorrow, but I cheated and weighed myself this morning (after the weekend of not exercising - I know, not designed to make me feel great) but the scale read 1.5 lbs lighter and I believe it - I actually wore one of my size 6 skirts to passover Sunday night and wasn''t uncomfortable (now I just need to get to size 6 thighs and chest, and...).

In other exciting weight loss-related news I have decided to give running another try, inspired by the fact that my knee has actually been feeling a bit better lately (it was injured in a car accident about 1.5 years ago). I got new running shoes on Friday so I will have proper support and I''m going to try a slow plan that has worked before for getting back into it - you know, start with running 2 minutes, walking 4 minutes, etc... This may mean cutting down on my elliptical trainer time a bit to make time for the running program but I think it will be worth it in the lon run because running was always the best way for me to lose weight and gain definition - it just burns so many calories!

So, wish me luck this afternoon with my return to running and that my knee holds out for it. Good work ladies. Amma - try not to get too discouraged, I think that sometimes its much harder than others, and its great that your bf still loves you just the way you are - that is as it should be.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Matadora...you are an inspiration!! I was not planning to workout today, but after reading your post and your determination, I thought, "What excuse do I really have?" My answer?! NOT MUCH!!

So, I went to Curves today and did my extra 200 crunches...after Passover, and all the eating we did as well (my mom even made potato latkes! How do you pass those up?), the scale showed I''ve only gained 1 pound, but I also know that weighing myself after the weekend isn''t as positive as weighing myself mid-week, when I''ve been more active...

researcher

Ideal_Rock
You girls are amazing!!! I had no idea there was a support group for weight loss on here--where have I been?!?! With my wedding less than 5 months away I realized it''s time to buckle down and get in shape. Unfortunately, I''ve gained 10 lbs since my engagement --and choosing my wedding dress! I know that doesn''t seem like a lot, but for some reason I can''t seem to get rid of it!!! I do the eliptical for 1-1.5 hours a day and do weights every other day (although I take the weekends off), and I''m watching my diet. At first I thought I was just gaining muscle, but I''ve gone up from a size 2/4 to a 4/6. I know, I know. I don''t have a ton of room to complain but I was always a 0/2 until I moved in with my fiance. So, I have about 15 lbs to lose for the wedding and that''s a lot when exercise and diet don''t seem to work.

Now, I know this probably isn''t the appropriate thread, but what strategies are working for you? Does having a support group help? I''m just so frustrated!!! My friend started working out/dieting at the same time as me and she has lost over 20 lbs! I am extremely happy for her and just want to have a similar success story. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Good luck to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
In the past I''ve had crunches expand my waistline b/c of the muscle they build...so be careful with that one.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 1
6.gif
7:34 PM
Author: appletini
In the past I''ve had crunches expand my waistline b/c of the muscle they build...so be careful with that one.

I''ve been doing my crunches for over a year and I''ve actually lost about 4 to 5 inches around my waistline...so now (because I''m gaining weight...hence (i hope) muscle) I''m wondering where else it''s shifted to?!
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
re: jiggly arms...those are SO HARD to get rid of!!!

our kickboxing trainer just switched us to 1/2 kbox/cardio and 1/2 muscle resistance and strength training to help the arm jiggle and tighten everything up for summer. so we have been doing alot of weights, resistance bands, pushups, crunches etc.

for crunches, do the normal ones, legs up and then side to side reaches, that will work various areas and your side muscles so that hopefully the wasitline does not expand but rather gets more of a ''curve''.

if you can afford to pay for a specialized class (rather than a gym which i find is a waste of $$)..look into some of the new classes like the strip/pole dancing one that i hear is very fun and really gives you a workout (carmen electra does it); also my girlfried is doing the bar method (www.barmethod.com) ballet style workout and loves the pain she feels in her muscles; and i swear by karate cardio kickboxing--our guy is a karate black belt and a competition kickboxer so he is very good about making you hurt for 50 minutes and seeing results. i find that going to a gym on my own accord for an hour every few days is useless, the pace that you set for yourself in a class or at the gym will not be as rigorous as with a specialized class trainer...aka our kbox guy is ruthless about making us really work it, while at the gym i find i would put the treadmill on a lower setting and/or take an easy cardio class. i am all about good pain for 50 minutes and then being DONE, why spend 3 hours a day at the gym??

i really find that i have to try a few things and then see what works best for my body type...so for those just starting out, try a bunch of different things, also modify your diet and add alot more walking into your repetoire, that will work wonders even just for how you feel.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
also researcher regarding what works for people..do you know much about your body type ? where you lose and/or gain weight? what works?

i find that for me i need to work out with something intense 2ce a week like the kbox, walk a few extra miles a week around the park, watch what i eat during the week (lower carbs, lower fat) and that works wonders for me...esp since i gain weight at the waist, hips and butt which is mostly carb weight...i''ve been doing lower carb for 3 weeks now and seen a HUGE difference already, pants fit so much better etc. but that is my body, and what works for me. if i carbo-load, it all goes to my gut instantly.

one other suggestion is to visit a nutrionist and also a personal trainer who can tell you more about your body weight and how to target things. my girlfriend did the PT, something like $1k for 10 sessions and knew so much more about her body and how to keep it fit and what to eat for HER body...she stopped working out for a year and has only gained about 3 lbs back by employing the right eating techniques. of course working out keeps your muscles tight so that''s the positive there.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

Ammernyc you are not lazy or horrible I have no life! He he, I nearly chocked when I read that you were worried about being a ten…I’d trade with you in a heart beat!

31.gif

Everyone- Wow! Ya''ll are so sweet! Honestly it isn’t that I love going to the gym but a seven day a week personal trainer is what my parents gave me for Christmas and I feel so rude and ungrateful if I miss a day. Plus I am a size 16 and at my last weigh in 179.
emcry.gif
My parents and I are going to have serious look at something when I get home for the summer because I do at least 30min of cardio everyday, my five miles at night and weight training. I also do the Carmen Electra how to strip videos but haven’t quite worked up to telling Daddy that.... I haven’t told anyone I know in "real life" and I don’t think my parents really want to know that BF and I do more then hold hands. But I am determing to be a single digit size when I go for grad school interveiws. Prayers are welcome
emwink.gif

Anyway I have done the nutritionist thing this semester too. I think it is great, but you might save yourself the money and try taking a college course which costs less, and though ti will demand your time once a week for about 2 hours or so they will go over everything you can think of and some things you cant. I am working up the nerve to start attending fitness classes but I am somewhat of a klutz with no rhythm and I am afraid of other laughing at me. And I get some embarrassed that when basic jumping jacks are used as warm up, my breasts are really large and the just jiggle so much it is really humiliating, I wear a regular under wire bra with two sports bras over and they still wont sit still
20.gif
anyone here have the same issue? Anyone know of something that keeps them locked in place? That is part of why I go in the am, the gym is mostly empty and I don’t feel weird because I see the same people everyday and they are much older then me and either the extreme body builder types or just as out of shape as I am.
I believe that you ought to give any new routine at least two months for your body to acclimate and to see result before you consider giving up and switching to something else. I think any effort you can give is great! Don''t be put off by others….remember we all have different lifestyles…I am 22 in college and I cant sleep for more then three hours at a time, but I have no husband and no kids. If I get up a four thirty I am not bothering anyone else!
I ramble when I am on meds…and sometimes when I am not, forgive me.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the hints! I was actually a personal trainer as a second job during undergrad, so I know all about my body type. Want to know what I learned? I learned that I don''t fit a standard type. Seriously. I put fat everywhere, and up until the last year I could stop eating chips and drop 5 lbs in a week. I always had a 6-pack through high school and college, and was in great shape overall (because I evenly distribute my fat it doesn''t really show). For some odd reason, however, I have been working out and watching my food more than normal for the past 6 months and have not lost 1 lb!!! So, it''s now time to find something else. I''ve stopped surfing so that''s out, I''m not too good at golf (although I''m determined to get better), my tennis game is okay, I do a good mix of cardio and weights, and I love pilates and yoga. Fortunately it''s warming up out here so I can start swimming and running on the beach again, but I''m not even sure that will work. Honestly, I''m beginning to think I was better off with my Snickers/Ice Cream diet. Now that I''ve been eating lots of veggies and chicken (I don''t eat red meat or pork) and watching my carbs I weigh more than I ever did before! The worst part is my body fat percentage has not changed!!! Sorry for complaining--it''s just frustrating. I keep telling my SO that I''m going for lipo if it takes much longer (and I''d go through with it too if I wasn''t so deathly afraid of needles!). How I hate this slower metabolism crap!!!

At any rate, for those of you who seem to be doing great and approaching your goals I think it''s spectacular!!! I will keep reading all your posts of your successes, and hope a little success comes my way
36.gif

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I really considered getting lipo for my birthday. But then I realized I''d be swollen for five months so the summer months would be a bust. Also, I couldn''t find a spot on my body that I didn''t want shrunken.

I just need to go away for two weeks where there is nothing but excercise and healthy food and no alchohol! Anyone want to join me?!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
researcher...give your diet some time if you have not already...for me it takes me 2 weeks to see changes in my body, that means 2 weeks on a new diet (or no diet), workout etc. I can see the results of a vacation/lots of eating 2 weeks later etc. I don't know if that is a norm or not, but I also have seen weight go up a bit when I start to eat healthy again...but it always comes back down.

One other comment..alot of times people equate the amount of time they spend at a gym with success or no success for weight loss. In reality, you can spend an hour at the gym and depnding on what you are doing, only burn 200 calories...aka if the treadmill is low or the elliptical trainer is on a low level. I would suffer for 30 min on the elliptical trainer, which I HATED, and burn 150 calories. Big woop! My kickboxing class burns anywhere from 450-600 calories per class, so it's pretty intense, and the bar method is something like 400-500.

Which is why I say that I would much rather do a 50 minute torture workout than 2 hours at the gym like I used to...and I see MANY more results than I did in that gym time.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Matatora-
The new sports bras that Victoria''s Secret has are a God send!!! I can''t think of the brand name, but they are from England. I have tried many, many things and this is the best I have ever tried! It locks you in place without squeezing you so tight that it''s hard to breathe. Very comfortable! You''ll still have a liittle wiggle, but there is minimal jiggle.
9.gif
On a side note, I know you said before that your doctor has examined your breathing patterns, but have you had one of those 2-day sleep apnea tests where you go to the test center and they hook you up to a machine and observe you while you sleep? Only three hours of sleep per night plus having allergies and breathing problems could be seriously hindering your weight loss. My friend''s mom had sleep apnea caused by her tongue being too large. She had corrective surgery, and now gets at least 6 to 8 hours of sleep each night. She''s also lost over 100 pounds. It just amazes me how much proper breathing affects everything in the human body!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 5:20:57 PM
Author: Buena Girl
Matatora-

The new sports bras that Victoria''s Secret has are a God send!!! I can''t think of the brand name, but they are from England. I have tried many, many things and this is the best I have ever tried! It locks you in place without squeezing you so tight that it''s hard to breathe. Very comfortable! You''ll still have a liittle wiggle, but there is minimal jiggle.
9.gif

BG...do we know what sizes the VS Sports Bra comes in?? I have found that MOST of their bras are not made for full-figured women...if their sports bra is, however, I might try them out!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 5:24:39 PM
Author: AChiOAlumna

Date: 4/25/2005 5:20:57 PM
Matatora-

9.gif

BG...do we know what sizes the VS Sports Bra comes in?? I have found that MOST of their bras are not made for full-figured women...if their sports bra is, however, I might try them out!
In the store, the largest size was something like 40 D or 38 DD. I bought the largest one there. I''ll have to check mine at home. I am usually around a 38 or 40 D or so. I haven''t checked the internet site, but it is possible they have larger sizes.

I hope you love it as much as I do!!! It is by far the best I have tried so far. Oh, one more thing, they have different styles of the bra. It is color coded and there is a chart to help with the bra choices. I think it was something like low impact, moderate impact,and high impact performance. I bought the high impact performance one which is supposed to keep your chest stuck in place the best.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 5:37:15 PM

In the store, the largest size was something like 40 D or 38 DD. I bought the largest one there. I''ll have to check mine at home. I am usually around a 38 or 40 D or so. I haven''t checked the internet site, but it is possible they have larger sizes.

I hope you love it as much as I do!!! It is by far the best I have tried so far. Oh, one more thing, they have different styles of the bra. It is color coded and there is a chart to help with the bra choices. I think it was something like low impact, moderate impact,and high impact performance. I bought the high impact performance one which is supposed to keep your chest stuck in place the best.

Oh perfect!!! My size is there!!! I''ll have to go and check these out!!! I''ve been wearing Hanes sports bras to date, but they don''t fit me as well as I like, but they were the best I could find...I''ll definitely check out the VS bra!! Thanks a million!!
36.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Mara,
You are so sweet for trying to keep me motivated, but I think after 5-6 months I would start to see results
39.gif
Also, on average I burn about 950 calories on the eliptical in 1.5 hours, and I do a fairly heavy weight routine that was suggested by a trainer at the gym. I used to do kickboxing, but my arm kept popping out of the socket and had to be forced back in. So, I have to be careful and had to give up kickboxing
8.gif
Oh, well! As my mom says, I''m just not as young as I used to be and maybe my body is just meant to be a size 4/6! More than looking good I want to be healthy, so even if I''m not as thin as I want to be at the wedding I''ll at least be in great physical health!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
BG...well, I''ll just have to try in the store, because I just went online and the VS website states they don''t carry the DD sizes online anymore!!! What a bummer
7.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
6.gif
Oh no! No more DDs in any of their bras? Or just the sports bras?

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 6:11:28 PM

I just checked their site. I am positive that the ''Shock Absorber'' is the one I bought. This link says they have DDs. Does it say somewhere else on the site that they have discontinued DDs?

Yeah...that''s the one
7.gif
It shows on your site that they have them...but when you go to order them (add to the bag), then they tell you they no longer carry it in white nor black!!
32.gif
I''m very sad now....
39.gif
39.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
researcher...hmm 6 months..well okay.
9.gif
that''s a good calorie burning # by the way as well!!

maybe you are just meant to be 4/6. do you think muscle is what you have gained?

i have figured i will never be the twig i was in high school ever again, but as long as i feel good, have some muscle tone and eat pretty decently, i can accept it. there''s always photoshop.
9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Yea...I called our local store and they carry up to a 32B...they said to check bham.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
damn!!! I''m also either a 38 or 40 DD, depending on the cut and was going to go to the site to check them out! maybe fellow PSer MelissaSue could help us, if I remember from old posts, I think she works at Victorias Secret....

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2005 9:51:16 PM
Author: fountainfairfax
damn!!! I''m also either a 38 or 40 DD, depending on the cut and was going to go to the site to check them out! maybe fellow PSer MelissaSue could help us, if I remember from old posts, I think she works at Victorias Secret....

FFF...I''m right there with you!!!
39.gif
I knew when I heard it was VS and DD bras in the same sentence it was too good to be true!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results