shape
carat
color
clarity

Daily Sunscreen?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Bought some Biotherm 30 today--not greasy or tacky. Geez, I seem to be on a L''Oreal kick (VIchy, LaRoche-Posay...now this....)

cheers--Sharon

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I use Jan Marini SPF 30 which is not greasy at all and doesn''t smell like sunscreen.
I also sometimes use Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer SPF 20. (I think.)

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t read this entire thread so please excuse if this one has already been mentioned.
I recently had a really bad reaction to a facial I had and totally broke out and had to see a dermatologist and he advised me that in order to treat me I first had to go really basic with my cleansing and stop using all the products that I was currently using on my face...
long story short he prescribed a cream to help me get my face back but it makes me very sensitive to the sun and sunburn so I asked him to please recommend a really good non break out causing sunscreen and he recommended NEUTROGENA ULTRA SHEER and said that all of the dermatologists in that office highly recommend it to patients.
There is one for the body and one for the face but both are called ultra sheer but the face one says face on the box.
I live in Canada and it is easy to find and affordable I have the face one in SPF 45 and I really like it so far not greasy at all and I can wear my power make-up over it and it doesn''t make it all icky.
Hope that helps

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
It came up earlier in this thread that sunscreen should be applied after moisturizer. I was confused by this and I found a good site that explains that depending on what type of sunscreen you have if it should be applied before or after you moisturize.

I think that most of us use a Chemical sunscreen (I''m now using the Neutrogena Dry Touch) which works by interacting with the skin cells and to properly do so, it must be applied first to clean bare skin. If you use a physical suncsreen that contains titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, then it should go on after your other stuff.

http://www.vivawoman.net/2008/03/06/tips-on-sunscreen-protection-application/

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2009 12:53:07 PM
Author: luvmyhalo
It came up earlier in this thread that sunscreen should be applied after moisturizer. I was confused by this and I found a good site that explains that depending on what type of sunscreen you have if it should be applied before or after you moisturize.

I think that most of us use a Chemical sunscreen (I''m now using the Neutrogena Dry Touch) which works by interacting with the skin cells and to properly do so, it must be applied first to clean bare skin. If you use a physical suncsreen that contains titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, then it should go on after your other stuff.

http://www.vivawoman.net/2008/03/06/tips-on-sunscreen-protection-application/

I don''t necessarily agree with what you''ve said about physical sunscreen - maybe it''s your interpretation. That article says physical sunscreen CAN be applied over other products, eg serums or moisturisers, not that it SHOULD be applied over all other products. That''s pretty much standard practice here in Australia, under makeup. I wear zinc cream every day under my makeup, I don''t know how you would apply it over the top.

I wouldn''t ever use a chemical sunscreen, I''m unsure about the safety of some of the ingredients, and I don''t think they give nearly enough protection. They may stop your skin from burning, but not from damage.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/20/2009 7:43:34 AM
Author: MishB

I don''t necessarily agree with what you''ve said about physical sunscreen - maybe it''s your interpretation. That article says physical sunscreen CAN be applied over other products, eg serums or moisturisers, not that it SHOULD be applied over all other products. That''s pretty much standard practice here in Australia, under makeup. I wear zinc cream every day under my makeup, I don''t know how you would apply it over the top.

I wouldn''t ever use a chemical sunscreen, I''m unsure about the safety of some of the ingredients, and I don''t think they give nearly enough protection. They may stop your skin from burning, but not from damage.
but aren''t there problems also with the zinc preparations in that the particles are so small that they''re absorbed into the body through the pores?

i find that any and all sunscreens clog my pores. i''m now using a particular kind of vitamin C that is in powder form that i mix with my moisturizer....and it seems to be working. i get a facial every 3 weeks and the person i go to knows i don''t like to wear sunscreen and suggested the particular product.

my other concern is the reduction of vitamin D due to wearing sunscreen......my blood work came back so deficient in vitamin D that i''m on mega doses of pharmaceutical vitamin D once a week in addition to a daily dose of 2000 mg.

it seems as if one is darned if they do and darned if they don''t......

mz

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I used to work for a division of Neutrogena which falls under Johnson and Johnson and I still use all the products. I have probably over the years used so many things out there. A couple of things I can tell you. I never use the Neutrogena dry touch sunscreen on my face. It is supposed to be noncomedigenic (won''t clog your pores) but it burns my face so I use the ultra sheer daily mosturizer with spf 30. If I am wearing foundation I would suggestion the following. If you are using any sort of acne product put that on first. Maybe wait 10 minutes and then put on a mosturizer. I used to actually mix my retin a micro with the ultra sheer cause the micro protects the molecule of tretinoin in the acne product so it doesn''t damamge it but putting it on together. Anyway... then put on the foundation. I would never put a moisturizer or sunscreen on over my foundation.

There is a scientific explation about absorption rates and levels of toxciity that some chemicals have on the skin. I can assure you that the level of zinc and titanium in the suncreens are not nearly high enough or do not get absorbed enough to be toxic. That is the basic side of it and other than that I can''t really say much else.

I forgot that I also use the Laura Mercier foundation with spf 15 in it.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I''m on RetinA (for purely vain, cosmetic reasons - no acne) which makes sunscreen extremely important. I have tried practically every drugstore brand, and have not been happy. Most of them are too greasy, and the Neutrogena Dry Touch feels chalky or gritty on my face (I''ve also had the "rub-off" issues like someone else mentioned). My absolute favorite is Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream SPF 55. It comes in a cream and a lotion, and I use the cream most days. I use Cetafil moisturizer - it''s the only one that doesn''t irritate my face when I''m on RetinA, and if I only use a tiny dab of moisturizer, then I use the Shiseido cream. If my face is feeling dry, I''ll use more moisturizer, but switch to the Shiseido lotion (it''s almost liquidy). My dermatologist said the physical sunscreens (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) are the best at blocking both types of rays, and Shiseido has 13.9% zinc oxide. Most other physical sunscreens have a much smaller percentage. It doesn''t make my medium-dark complexion look white or chalky, and I love the smell - not sunscreeny at all. Neutrogena has come out with a new sunscreen: "pure and free baby", spf 60. It has a combo of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, and together they''re 9.6% - not too bad. I don''t like it as much as Shiseido for my face, but I would use it on the back of my hands or the tops of my feet (in sandals or flipflops). Gotta keep those hands and feet looking young too!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just went to the dermatologist for a skin check and he said since I tan easily I should use a SPF of 70
6.gif
He gave me some Neutrogena and Aveno samples.

MommaBear

Shiny_Rock
For my face I use Murad with pomegranite.
It is SPF 30
Body, I use aveeno. It comes in 30-55spf.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results