shape
carat
color
clarity

D VVS2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blab13692468

Rough_Rock
Hi guys. I bought an E VS1 EX/VG 1.0 carat stone for $6500. I recently stumbled upon a D VVS2 VG/G 1.0 carat for $7900. I have been thinking about it and am wondering whether or not I should return my stone and buy this new VVS2. I''m tempted... Any thought?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
If you are capable of telling a D/VVS2 from an E/VS1 without magnification, you should apply to GIA immediately because you have a great future as a diamond grader. Mere mortals, however, will never be able to tell those two stones apart outside of a laboratory. Save the $1400 and spend it on a good setting.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why would you be tempted to trade in a perfectly good colorless stone with no visible inclusions for another colorless stone with no visible inclusions for $1400 more? Plan to walk around with a loupe on your eye? Do all your friends?

Take LG's advice...and keep the stone you have. The extra money will matter more in the end than achieving some sort of perceived diamond nirvana of 'quality'.

1.gif

diamluvr

Rough_Rock
I have to disagree and I say go for it! There are people out there who are "purists" and D VVS2 is just about as pure as you can get! If you have the money to spend, I say go ahead and get it.
16.gif
Sometimes it doesn't have to do with "eye-clean" or "facing-up white" some just like the satisfaction of knowing for themselves what they have. I know.. I'm one of them! Good Luck!
wavey.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I'd agree that the $1400 could be better spent. I was soo stuck on a certain color/clarity when we first began looking, but once I learned more about the cut and got smarter, all of that psychological hogwash went out the door. No one will scrutinize it more than yourself. I'd say save the money for the setting. Even at an E/VS1 or VS2, you are talking about a seriously beautiful stone.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hey blab,

Extremely little difference between E vs1 and D vvs2,
unless you where to examine these stones with the proper equiptment. Perhaps then, and only then might you notice
an ever so slight difference...

Make sure of one simple fact. If you intend to spend an additional 1400 dollars, let it go on something where you can see a difference.

kirk

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/5/2003 12:27:43 AM diamluvr wrote:

I have to disagree and I say go for it! There are people out there who are "purists"; and D VVS2 is just about as pure as you can get! If you have the money to spend, I say go ahead and get it.
----------------

Yes, but what the true "purist" might gain on color/clarity, he's going to lose on polish/symmetry......the E stone is EX/VG, the D stone is only VG/G.
That doesn't seem to fit the bill of a purist for the extra $1400.

I totally agree with others, keep the E stone and put the $1400 into something the eye CAN see....a beautiful setting or a pair of earrings to go with the ring!

barry

Shiny_Rock
blab;

The issue here for you, really, is whether your diamond
purchasing decision should be based on the practical
and rational, or, on the psychological, emotional,
and sentimental. Obviously budgetary considerations are not a factor.

Assuming we are comparing apples to apples and that the Cut
quality of both diamonds are similar, then from a practical standpoint, stick with what you got.
On the other hand, there is a level of psychological and emotional satisfaction ( and probably some male mucho macho) knowing you bought your gal a
"D / VVS" diamond. No price tag can be placed on that.
I've seen this "tug of war" play out so many times in our
showroom with the guys bouncing between these two options,
whereas the gals go for size.

There is no true right or wrong answer on this one.
But as this purchase is based on emotion and sentiment,
I would advise you to go with your heart.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I ditto LawGem's response.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results