shape
carat
color
clarity

D Vatche and engraving

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jblackburn

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend seems to really like the D Vatche x prong for her setting. These however are quite pricey (in platinum), and I wanted to know if anyone had any idea of where to purchase a less expensive version. Though I will probably get one of these regardless, the better the price the better the stone I will be able to purchase to go with it.

Also, I think my girlfriend would really like some type of engraving or something to accent the setting for whatever ring I get for her. Either that or some type of side stones. I know D Vatche offers the x prong with either channel or pave stones, but I have never seen anything engraved. Does anyone know if I could have a jeweler do this? If so where would I look to find one - and would it be worth it anyway, or would it seriously devalue the ring in the process? What are my options and my best chance of getting a ring with a good appraisal value that my girlfriend will really love.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Must make a decision soon.

student

Shiny_Rock
I know Jonathan at goodoldgold.com has a generic setting that is similar. Probably lots of other places do too.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
JBlackburn:

The only ring that is a TRUE X-prong is the Vatche model. The design is copyrighted and so any copies will have to be modified. They may be a little more expensive but you are getting the real thing.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
LesleyH, could you please explain what "true x-prongs" means? What difference does it make?

jblackburn

Rough_Rock
Assuming that there is no where to to buy a "true x-prong" except from an authorized dealer (at an "authorized" price), does anyone have any thoughts about the engraving issue? By the way, I was not clear above: by "engraving" I meant some type of decorative pattern on the outside of the ring itself -- not our intials on the inside . . . Sorry for any confusion.

Would engraving like this diminish the value of the x-prong -if it was possible? Would it even be desirable anyway aesthetically speaking - or would it look weird on this design (which is what I suspect)?

~X-prong is a "antique" looking style in my opinion though, so it might work.

I'm confused.
Any thoughts???

student

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't want to engrave the X-prong myself, because I don't think this would go with its fluid styling. I don't really like the channel-set Vatche settings, but other people seem to.

This is really all about personal taste, though, so go with what you think your girlfriend will like. Sidestones might be a safer option. Who wouldn't like sidestones? Rubies or sapphires, perhaps?

In the end you have to go with your own gut instinct.

jblackburn

Rough_Rock
I have a ring from my grandmother that has both rubies and diamonds in it. Do you think these could be used as sidestones?

(My thought is they could, but probably would not be worth it in the end - unless it turns out the stones are really awesome - after the cost of setting them into the d vatche band.)

By the way, I agree with the remark about the fluid style of the setting not lending itself to engraving. In my mind, I would have to find a very skilled craftsman to make it look right (but of course what do I know).

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It should be no problem to hand engrave the ring with a design. What we ask is for the customer to pick out something they like the art work (either out of our case or a photo from the net) and we will hand engrave the design.

Anyone offering full service should be able to do this for you.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Jonathan:

If you want the "antique" look, maybe you should consider the Vatche PAVE x-prong. That way you get the look you want and the real thing.

Leonid - the name Vatche indicates a certain level of design and finish. Especially when you are buying "site unseen" over the internet, the Vatche name gives you peace of mind that the ring will have the beautiful finish you expect from Vatche and in addition it has a lifetime warranty on workmanship. So many of the knockoffs are poorly designed and finished.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a picture of the Vatche platinum pave x-prong....

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

gi_DV-822_f.jpg

Sierra Nevada

Rough_Rock
I have a question about the X-prong,in the pix of this pave style version it looks like there is a lot of extra metal, or space, between the diamonds instead of diamonds right next to diamonds. Is that true? If so, why do they do it that way? It's not quite what I think of when I hear Pave, and I prefer a smoother tighter all diamond look, so can't they do a more traditional pave?
:loopy:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Jonathan! Jonathan here. :) Yes there is a generic X prong that's made and is less expensive. Email me if you'd like to see some pics of it and I'll send you a link.

Peace,
Jonathan

jblackburn

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the info! I agree with you Lesley H on the pave x prong. In fact, I had pretty much come to that conclusion myself, and after my girlfriend herself mentioned(without my pointing it out) that it was her favorite (I really think she wants the whole "antique" thing) I think my decision was made. Needless to say, now my main decision is where to buy it. From your closing signature, Lesley H (i.e. "www.whitegold.com") I am assuming your a vendor... If that's the case let me take this opportunity to ask you why some of the Vatche vendors list the pave setting you just showed with only .2 ct tw diamonds and some with .35 ct tw -- and at the same price no less. After all, if it's legit, I am definitely going to go for the .35.

Anyone have any thoughts!

Thanks again everyone for all the help :)). This is been a much more pleasent process than expected. (Even though, I must say, I have been dissuaded from pursuing my original goal of getting a less expensive version of the Vatche).

coarchitect

Rough_Rock
LesleyH-
Your ring is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!
I (like so many) fell in love w/ Tiffany Lucida, but quickly realized this is not the smart option. At first I did not like the Vatche X-Prong b/c the prongs looked really high, but in your ring they do not. Your diamond looks as if it would sit lower -- or is this deceptive b/c the diamond is large? If you dont mind me asking the size (aprox) of the diamond and width of the setting (the tiffany is aprox. 3 mm) Also if the quality of the setting is good...b/c i only want a simple solitare setting this is really important to me. Thank you for your help!!!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 4/23/2003 11:50:54 PM coarchitect wrote:
LesleyH-
At first I did not like the Vatche X-Prong b/c the prongs looked really high, but in your ring they do not. Your diamond looks as if it would sit lower -- quality of the setting is good...b/c i only want a simple solitare setting this is really important to me. Thank you for your help!!! ----------------
Coarchitect-The dvatche xprong setting does not show the diamond in a way where it looks like it is set too high. I purchased a dvatche xprong platinum setting for my fiance to hold a 1 carat stone. It is a simple setting yet elegant and sleek with a unique style of the criss-crossed prongs. My fiancee does not like the look of a stone which is set really high and it compliments her well. The stone is actually set in the band a little where the prongs cross. Here's a pic for ya-

Hope this helps you in your decision

Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

ringggggg1.jpg

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Let me add some comments here :

A solitaire like the X prong with .20 points of GH VS diamonds in 18k WG will cost you
around 500$ US.... in platinum add at least 300$US.... plus hundreds more
for hand engraving..

Any good jeweller will hand engraved your ring if you want... if it's done by hand, you will
be able to trully admire the "depth" of the artwork... however, engravement looks pretty
well on every magnified picture of a ring....however, in real life, since it's so small, usually
it doesnt look as beautiful and you loose the natural fluidity of the line........

Now about the Pavé... Pavé is done by drilling small holes in the ring, then placing
diamonds into them, then pushing metal near the diamonds over the crown of the diamonds
to secure them.... so you'll end up with metal between diamonds....that's what makes
the look of the pavé.... otherwise you might prefer channel set if you want diamonds sitting
next to the other........in my personnal view, you get a much better brillant look
with pave than channel set....

Trichrome.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results