shape
carat
color
clarity

D - E vs F - G any major difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Isildur

Rough_Rock
I''ve begun to wonder if looking for D or E color is just driving my price up... Is it worth the $ for D or E vs. F or G?
I am potentially paying for a premium that won''t be visible to the naked eye and won''t be necessary for a very nice stone?

I''ve decided that I want a stone
Round
VS1 - VS2
Excellent Polish
Excellent Symmetry
Fluoresence none
I''ll either get an AGS or GIA with Sarin info so I can check it with HCA first before having it appraised prior to purchase.

I''ve also read that in addition to HCA''s report, I may want to ask for some sort of light return profile or something? Can
someone tell me more about this?

Thanks!

-David

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a D to G comparison

screen-small

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id go G-H more so than whiter. Can''t REALLY tell to the naked eye anyway. ''

If it''s cut well it will be really bright and sparkly and the actual color won''t matter.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hi David,

Unless they are side by side most people can''t tell the difference between 1 or 2 color grades, particularly if they are graded by the same lab.

This may be of interest to you: A well-cut stone can face up more colorless than the grade it received when compared to an average cut stone of the same grade... Meaning that if you buy a G of high cut quality it can actually appear closer to an F or E face-up (RBs are color-graded viewed from the side).

Best

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To a gemologist, an engineer, an economist or a scientist there is a big difference between these various colors. To a "regular guy or gal", there is no difference worth bringing up. The price differences reflects the reality of the market and the desire for quality, even when virtually invisible.

If you are very picky, there is a world of difference between D and E or any other color. If you are sort of laid back, you won''t find this a big deal and you will save a lot of loot.

Be sure you examine the "differences" for yourself and don''t rely only on advice. Rely on your own eyes, your own personality, and your own set of values in making this important personal decision.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I've got an E, an H and a few I's. They're all beautiful, but, in the future, I wouldn't personally pay for anything higher than a G because I simply can't see that much of a difference, except when they are literally side by side and even then not by much.

I'd use the dollars saved to go for a bigger stone, fancier setting or another diamond! (Depending on how much I was saving
2.gif
)

In the end, of course, you have to decide whether or not YOU can see a difference and if you can, are you happy to pay the premium for the D/E/F stone?

You may notice that a lot of good class jewellers will often state that their stones are never less than G/VS quality - I believe that that's because this is the pivot point between quality and cost. Go up in colour or clarity and costs will rise a lot, go lower and you cut costs but you may have customers (who are very picky) who won't be happy with the end product. This, it seems, is the 'safe' zone.
21.gif

Isildur

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/22/2004 5:19
6.gif
1 PM
Author: oldminer
To a gemologist, an engineer, an economist or a scientist...
Computer Programmer :) so pretty close but I suppose laid back enough to not worry too much.

I was pretty much set on an E, based on cost and my above specs. As I began to research more about settings, I became concerned that
the side stones might not match this quality of diamond. I'm getting an: Oro Diamante, Varna, or Tacori Antiqued platinum ring with 2x trillians.

It was suggested to me that these side stones are often F - H, are harder to match, and that I might want to consider upgrading the side stones to
a better color grade to match the color of the center stone.

It seems like if I "downgrade" the center stone to an F or G I'll not need to "upgrade" the side stones to match color wise?

I was concerned that upgrading the trilians, (somewhere between .30 and .50 total weight) could get expensive quick.

-David

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I have an E e-ring stone and G earrings. Just the other day I put them side by side to see if I could really see color. Of course, I know which is which, and I could see the color, but the MINOR color that I saw in the G stones was not displeasing at all. If I hadn't been looking for it, and know what I was seeing, I doubt I really would have seen anything.

That said, My e-ring stone is much larger than my earrings. Color shows more in larger stones, so if the colors had been reversed, I don't know how apparent it would have been. What size center stone are you planning to purchase?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
F color is the best--colorless yet cheaper than E and D. G''s do show some tint

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Isildur,

The difference is minor but it''s there.

I had a guy come into my office a few weeks ago. We normally don''t have appointments, but this person was spending over 100K on one diamond and he wanted to see the stone before he did the wire. I agreed.

We brought in two diamonds. They were both really well cut 5ct stones. One was a D-VS1, the other a F-VS2. Before he got there I did a bunch of preliminary work. I checked the diamonds under the Idealscope. I checked the symmetry with H&A viewers. I ran sarin reports on both diamonds and calculated HCA scores. In every single test the "F" diamond won. It was a better light performer, had tighter symmetry and was also about $20K less expensive.

Guy showed up. This guy is a repeat customer buy the way. Last diamond he bought was 177K (that was a 6ct D-IF Pear shape a couple years back). He sat down at my desk and quietly listened as I explained the nuances of the two diamonds. I didn''t talk about HCA scores or symmetry or any of that - that would have come later.

Finally after my fifteen minute spiel I took out the two diamonds. He held them both in his hands, stared for about two minutes, then said "I''ll take the "D" - it''s visually whiter".

That was it. I didn''t say another word. His wife now has 1/2 of a new set of earrings.

My point is that you may (or may not) find color to be important. You may decide there is no difference between "D" and "G" or you may decide otherwise. The difference between "D" and "G" is definitely as great (if not greater) than the difference between "Ideal" and "Super-ideal". Go look and decide for yourself.

One last note. Even if you end up with a D/E in the center of your ring you won''t need to upgrade the sidestones. The sidestones are so much smaller and of an entirely different shape. The color difference in that case is really nothing...

Isildur

Rough_Rock
One last note. Even if you end up with a D/E in the center of your ring you won't need to upgrade the sidestones. The sidestones are so much smaller and of an entirely different shape. The color difference in that case is really nothing...
Thanks for the story, and good to know about the Color difference on the side stones.

Someone else had asked what ct, 1 ct round, Seems like they are falling in the 7 - 8k range given the specs in my first post.

I'm convinced at this point that at least to calm my mind on this issue I'll need to go look at a D and a G side by side with the
naked eye, under a loop and through a scope.

-David

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2004 4:51
6.gif
9 PM
Author: sevens one
Here''s a D to G comparison

screen-small
Wow. You really CAN see the difference in this pic.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2004 10
6.gif
8:51 PM
Author: Isildur

I''m convinced at this point that at least to calm my mind on this issue I''ll need to go look at a D and a G side by side with the
naked eye, under a loop and through a scope.

-David
That''s the right answer. Don''t forget to look at them in different light -- especially away from the bright jeweler''s lights.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results