shape
carat
color
clarity

D, E or F color diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I am looking to purchase a round 1.50 carat diamond that is colorless. I know that D, E, F grades are considered colorless, but when held next to each other can you tell the difference between a D, E, or F grade? Thanks!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I can't. I notice differences like D and G. I did have an "I" color step-cut diamond and just switched to an "E" color step-cut. THE COLOR DIFF IS HUGE!

I think if you are looking between a D, E, and F. Each is great!!!

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
In ideal cut round brilliants, it is almost impossible to differenciate from D to F, especially when mounted. Even G faces up perfectly white when set as well and usually, the lay man can tell the difference between a D and a G only when comparing the 2 stones unmounted, side by side with a white background and with grading lights on. Some people can''t do it even in these circumstances
2.gif

In step cuts like asschers or emerald cut, since you have less brilliance and fire, it is true that you can notice more easily the colours.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Like the PP said, most people can''t tell the difference between D-F. I am very color sensitive - I can tell the difference between E and F. But everyone is different. I found very minimal difference between the D and E in color but the price difference was another story. It''s best that you go and see for yourself if you can tell the difference.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes you need to find out if you can tell the difference. Or if you are not wearing it the person who is. Or even if you can see a difference if it bothers you. I can see some color but it doesn''t bother me. But if I''m not going for yellow and I see yellow that bothers me. You may find that a G will suit you just fine, or you may have to have a D.

Go to a B&M and look at GIA stones just to figure out the color differences. You''ll need to look at them against a white background. At one chain B&M they used their business cards which were grey. I''ll bet that altered something. So you may need to bring a white card with you. After all it''s about what you can see and graders use a white background.

HTH

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Depends how colour sensitive you are. I am ... which comes in useful in photography and analysing photographs later in Photoshop.

But I can also tell the difference between a colour grade looking at a picture of the master sets.

Face-up and mounted, I'd usually look at the side of the diamond on a white background and make a 'guess'. I'm not experienced enough to get the 'guess exactly which colour is what on the cape scale' but I can usually tell which is the better colour.

Stones are colour graded, table-down compared to master stones.

In a 'ring' they are viewed 'table up'. Colour appearance may also be influenced by cut quality and fluorescence.

Head into a B&M store and ask to look at different colour stones - preferably of similar cut grades. See if you can spot the difference. For most people, the money in the wallet saved is more important than the price premium of paying for a 'D' which tends to be an 'icy white'.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
You really need to get out and look for yourself.

Some Jewelers have loose diamonds. But I''ve found, you''re best bet is to go to a Diamond Broker. Look for listings in the phone book.

Look at different Cut quality as well as different colors. If you''re looking for a round, you''ll probably notice, the better the Cut, the more the color is masked.

Odinsmom

Rough_Rock
I too am color sensitive. Went from a 1 ct E to a 1.5 ct G and I can see the color and it bothers me. Like others have said, go see some well cut stones in person and decide for yourself.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
D to G, I can tell the difference. D to F, haven''t seen side by side, but I doubt I''d be able to tell. I''d go for the F.

niku414

Rough_Rock
depending on "picky" you are :) IF you put the D,E,F right next to each other-- YES you can tell the SLIGHT color differences -- but like someone posted previously -- if u are just to look at them separately --- It''s very hard to tell D,E,F and G(even) :)

Diamond916

Rough_Rock
Newbie question...do the diamonds later in the alphabet not look that appealing or do some people like them? also, what about canary yellow diamonds...would that be a Z? Or is that some other grading scale?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds higher in the colour scale aren''t normally as popular and carry a much lower price tag, but there are people who love them. Warmer tints were more common in the old mine diamonds for example, and in my opinion add a lot to their charm. Once you hit the last colour grades then the prices tend to rise for the more intense fancy colours and then with some unusual and very rare colours the sky is the limit for pricing! However cut is what makes a diamond beautiful whether it is a D or a P - get that cut and you will end up with a superb and sparkling gem, even if it has a body colour.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at the color tutorial pages on the Good Old Gold site? It has excellent pictures of color.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/content.php?c=14

I would not pay for a D if I could find an E or F with the specs I wanted. That is pretty easy in rounds, but with fancy shapes, you pretty much have to find one that is pleasing overall and you may have to go up or down in color.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
When we called in 3 top quality cut stones to pick from, we saw a D, E and an F. We couldn't tell the difference between a D and E, but we could see a slight difference between the D and F. However, when we looked at the F alone, we couldn't detect any color at all, so I'd say all three are a great choice for colorless, although you'll pay a premium for a D, simply because it's the rarest.

Bear in mind that if you get a D, you may well find yourself very color sensitive in future and find it difficult to buy lower colors. That's the pitfall I think I've fallen into which is not good news for my husband's wallet! I don't recommend starting with a D unless you don't plan on upgrading or adding to your diamond collection... they're so expensive!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
There are subtle differences. I have a F round and an E princess and and considering purchasing a D round.

Looking at the F round and a D round side by side there is a small, subtle difference. If you took them apart from each other and tried to guess which was which I think you would have a very hard time.

I have very pale skin and I like higher color to try and contrast my skin. Mid range stones like H,I can easily blend in to my skin tone, especially in step cuts. It may depend on what looks best on the wearer.

You will not go wrong with D, E or F. As a practical thing no one who comes up to take a look at your ring will be able to tell the difference. Only side by side with someone who had really good eyes can you pick these out from the top down view. In some lighting it is impossible to tell them apart no matter if they are side by side.

If you can get a better stone, meaning bigger or better cut, by trading away from D and into F, you will not suffer at all with the trade off.

Diamond916

Rough_Rock
I live in NYC and GOG, mondera, ERD are located nearby...is it possible to bargain with them on a stone that I found on their online website or they just don''t do that?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t personally, F is still really really icey white. I have an F radiant, and I can barely tell the difference between it and my I colored stones that I own. You can go down to a G and it would still be icey, and down to a I/J and it would still be a shade of white, but not icey.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results