shape
carat
color
clarity

D and G/H side-by-side

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

knowverylittle

Rough_Rock
I have read many posts on color and I know a mounted F/G is generally indistinguishable from a mounted D. What about a mounted G/H side-by-side with a mounted D? At what point is the color change very apparent?

Ideally I will get to a store soon and look at some diamonds myself, but salespeople can distracting and I am afraid they will use special lighting to make lower colors look whiter.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are lots of archive posts on this, please run an advanced search....people always ask about D's and other colors
2.gif

Bottom line is that your eyes are going to be the best judge. My eyes are not your eyes...so you really need to get into a store and see for yourself. In my opinion--I don't see any difference between something like an E or a G...mounted or unmounted. But a D? I didn't compare that in person.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 11/17/2003 12:33:51 PM knowverylittle wrote:

I have read many posts on color and I know a mounted F/G is generally indistinguishable from a mounted D. What about a mounted G/H side-by-side with a mounted D? At what point is the color change very apparent?

Ideally I will get to a store soon and look at some diamonds myself, but salespeople can distracting and I am afraid they will use special lighting to make lower colors look whiter.
----------------

Hey there knowverylittle,

Well I will say this....

Regina (my fiance)has an H color Ideal Cut Hearts & Arrows Diamond and I have a D color Eightstar diamond.

The slight color is barely detectable and very hard to pick out unless your in shaded light conditions. Face up these stones are very hard for me to tell apart. In certain indirect soft lighting conditions I can notice an ever so slight hue, but to observe it I have to look side on to the stone.

Considering the premium a D color carries, I know my fiance would rather have a Larger H which has a very very slight hue to a icy-white smaller D.

If your considering a top of the line cut, know that the H is going to face up whiter than in stones with a lesser cut quality. With that much light and sparkle being thrown in your face, Regina has always received compliments which have nothing to do with color because noone can really distinguish it. Unless your wining and dining with Garry Holloway or Richard Sherwwod or "The Rhino" I think you should beef it up and go with the H.

In a superior cut stone you can't go wrong..

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
Regina (my fiance)has an H color Ideal Cut Hearts
5.gif
& Arrows Diamond and I have a D color Eightstar
9.gif
diamond.
-----------

Is this fair?
2.gif

knowverylittle

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara,

I did search before asking the question and color is a popular topic but everyone seems to compare within a range of three colors. I understand G/H colors are the most common eRing choices and that it is hard to tell the difference within 2 or 3 color range. It would be good to buy a D if it will be pretty apparent when next to a G/H or I. Going bigger for the same money does not appeal; over a carat will offend some family and friends. Having the D H&A will counter those annoying show-offs who have 'big' rings (probably mall bought G/H/I average cut). You know the type
rolleyes.gif
Spending that extra cash is more than worth it the 10 second line; 'Wow it's a big rock, but does its looks seem a little yellow and lacking in sparkle? I guess it just needs cleaning?' Am I awful or what?
saint.gif

You are right I _must_ look at some diamonds in person. I am afraid with all the fancy salesman talk and special lighting they will probably cloud a few issues and try to sell me what they have in stock. Only one way to find out... I promise not to post again until seeing some

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Perception of colour in a diamond (especially when comparing rounds in the D-J range) is pretty much an individual thing.
1.gif
But I doubt very much that anyone is going to look at a lovely, well cut round 1 ct. H, and say, "Gee, it's yellowish or dirty." And if they do, slap them - hard.
1.gif

The only way that I can tell the difference between D-E-F and an H, face up, is to put them side by side. How often are you going to be doing this in real life?
1.gif
I chose an F because I like the absence of colour in the D-E-F range. But some people prefer a slightly warmer stone. Some make the tradeoff in order to get a larger diamond. It's all a matter of personal preference, based on what your eyes can discern and what you like.

Get out there and see those diamonds!
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Btw, although a GIA graded G/H may indeed be the average diamond colour chosen for an e-ring in this microcosm called Pricescope, it is hardly the average for the rest of the world.
1.gif
The vast majority of diamonds set in e-rings in North American aren't of the same calibre. So I wouldn't worry too much about people making comparisons, or catty remarks.
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

If you place a mounted G/H next a mounted D, you will see an ever so slight difference between the two in certain lighting. Outside, in daylight, there is less of a difference, and you may not be able to tell at all. But, as everyone said, it depends on YOUR eyes and perception (plus the quality of the cut of the diamond/and shape), so you may see the difference more or less
1.gif
. I own both a D and a G (around .5 each) and my G is gorgeous, so I think going with a G as long as it's a great cut is worth saving a bit of money. . .D's are pretty too, of course, and if I ever become rich, I'll buy only D colored diamonds
love.gif

As far a lighting goes, this is VERY tricky. The lighting is a huge sales' gimick and it's so hard to trust b&m sales associates (in my opinion), so the only advice I can give is go with only certified stones, AGS or GIA, because otherwise you may be told a stone is a G when it's actually a lot lower in color. (I've compared my G to other "Gs," like at Zales, for fun, and their's are obviously much lower than the so called claimed G color.)

Good luck,
Michelle

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
I did search before asking the question and color is a popular topic but everyone seems to compare within a range of three colors. Spending that extra cash is more than worth it the 10 second line----------------

It seems that those side-by-side comparisons are important after all... so, are you the first to buy a D-IF (with whatever you consider best cut) since I got on Pricescope (well, not that long ago...)? nothing against it: these are a great way to hide money. Ok, and some would agree that some Ds are whiter than others, too... really, no joke.

knowverylittle

Rough_Rock
OK broke my promise. It will not be an IF!!! Any VS is ample, I am not that rich; used to make well into six-figures but I turned the work focus down when hitting 30 as I wanted to see 35!

One of the online sites shows recent purchases (Bluenile??). I think there was one D IF Diamond sold.

Not upsetting others is the main concern with size, but beating the odd 'ours is bigger than yours' snob you meet once in a while is also good
Up_to_something.gif
I would bet no one on this forum is like that; you are quality freaks which I can relate too. Whoever you are someone always has better so I cannot see the point in it.

OMG it is 2:30, I'll be fired if I keep posting!!! Thanks again for the advice everyone. Pics will be posted probably in the New Year.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Even at H color, it'll be hard to pick up the slight color difference when faced up. If color is a higher priority than size to you, then by all means go for the "D" color stone. It is all a matter of personal preferences.

rodent.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
H is very white face-up and looks great set in platinum, but I think there's quite a difference when you compare a H color stone to a D one. You have to decide if the color difference is enough for you to justify the price increment. I think a properly graded H color diamond should be plenty white for any setting, but I suggest you to go window-shopping so that you can compare the various shades and decide for yourself.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I truly think that if you went somewhere that had excellently cut diamonds and viewed an "H", you'd be more than satisfied.

However, let me offer a suggestion. If you're really concerned about this, instead of jumping from an H to a D, why not split the difference and go with an "F"?

I'd GUARANTEE that the F will face up just as the D does, and you'd still not pay the premium of a D. In the colorless range, the F is the best value, and it's indiscernable from the D when set.

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
I've read this post (in its various incarnations) several times now,
and besides the imperical data that was offered regarding the color grading
scale/graph and a few posts of D and G diamonds side-by-side in the 'Show
Me the Ring' forum..... it really is a case of apples and apples
1.gif

I am curious though, as this conversation really ends at H... wouldn't an
ideal cut medium (or slight) fluorescence I be indistinguishable from the
adjacent grade H? If so, should a I w/blue fluorescence be considered as
much a part of a normal 'almost colorless' buying range? or, (as side-
by-side magnified pictures and the colorscale's rate of change would suggest)
the line in the sand (for noticible color and "don't set that in white metal")
is between H & I?

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Wanderlust:
Given that your post is from aprox 3:40 am - do you think possible blurry eyes prevents appreciation of subtle differences on the color scale? Or do you spell it colour, which might explain the timing of your posts!!

Goldenringlets

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
10.gif
No Blurry Eyes behind these sunglasses.... and I hear there's
not much sun across the pond this time of year...

I'm just catching up on some reading and posting those obnoxious ideas
that are scratching at the back of my mind... I would like to learn from those
who know more than me- what I should be seeing so I know what I'm looking for (or at
1.gif
)

(I wish I could sign the bottom of my posts Furthermore... really clever nick) in lieu of that...

All that is gold does not glitter
Not all who wander are lost. -JRRT

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
No, there isn't much sun in London today, so George Bush's secret service men are going to have to struggle to see behind their sunglasses ---

Speaking of which, which First Lady has/d the best jewelry?

I really didn't think you were European with that baseball you have ....

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
I'll defer on the first lady question, but (hopefully not fully
hijacking this thread and leading it away... leaving my question
still unanswered...) would like to say that the autograph on
that baseball is something 'out-of-the-ordinary,' as it's football
hero Johnny Unitas - who I met at a baseball game. Really nice guy
(had a few rocks in those Super Bowl rings.....
1.gif

can anyone help on the H/I question?

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
i specifically went into a bm to look at an I colour diamond, not caring about the other c's. it was already set in wg but just to be able to see for myself 1st hand how 'yellow' it was.

for a non-ideal cut diamond, it faces up white (without comparison to any other diamonds). i turned it upside down and there was a very slight yellowish tinge to it. there was no fluorescence.

if a non-ideal cut I colour diamond can face up white enough for me, just imagine how much 'whiter' an ideal cut, I coloured diamond with fluorescence will be.

at the end of the day, its a personal choice and best is to physically go down to a store to take a look at the diamonds there, which r typically non-ideal cut.

5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results