shape
carat
color
clarity

CVD post treatment question and opinion on stone please

Mrs Bucket

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescope,

I am a rookie newbie and very pleased to make your acquaintance and connect with the Pricescope knowlegde base. I have done some reading about lab diamonds and while I'm very, very green, I've come to be looking at a lab grown diamond (CVD) and can't quite decide if it's good or I am too naive...

Upon asking the Vendor for further video and them talking with the supplier, the stone has been confirmed to have a very slight brown tint. I am aware that CVD can produce this brown tint. My concern is if it's too expensive for what it is, noting DejaWiz's opinion from another thread below..

IGI certificate LG519261962
Vendor is asking AUD $2706
I can't seem to attach a video

Where I live there aren't any options to see lower colour stones in person so I'm undecided if I'll just pass altogether or take the plunge online. I've learned (I think) to go for HPHT if possible, and I know they can have blue nuance, which I don't want as I think it cancels any warmth in my colour range. That CVD can be brown tint even if not mentioned on the certificate. To have as-grown indicated on the certificate (hence my concern with this particular stone). To go for cut above all else and that lower grade included stones can still be great if you know what to look for. Another dilemma I have is I can't decide to set the stone in platinum or yellow gold. Strong leaning to platinum. I don't want to hide the lower colour.

I'm looking for a K/L colour, warm but no obvious brown tint or blue nuance, approx 1.5 ct round
VS1/2
Excellent/ideal cut

Hope that makes sense!
Thank you in advance =)2

I highly recommend that any LGD be assessed for tint, but especially CVD because of other issues such as striations and potential birifrengence.

CVD that needs PGT to improve clarity and color, in my mind, indicates inferior rough and should be professionally vetted or avoided if that's not possible.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, Mrs Bucket!

Here's the video for the diamond:

It has a 40.9/35.4/57.5 combo which we'd consider a bit steep-steep (both PA and CA being simultaneously steep instead of in an inverse relationship).

Screenshot_20230208-212533-593.png

I'm also seeing some signs of sloppy pavilion cutting and resultant light leakage:

dcc49186-0569-4821-81c5-7fd4597e670f.jpg

I think USD$1900/AUD$2700 is a bit of a hefty price tag for a 1 and 3/4 K VS2.

Are you open to buying from the EU or USA?

Mrs Bucket

Rough_Rock
Hello DejaWiz and thank you for your reply. How amazing to get all that extra insight - thank you!

I am not concerned where it is purchased from per se. The vendor that I have been looking at is pricing their stones in Australian dollar, so the import fee, GST and customs duty, is known to be included in that price. What price might you suggest would be reasonable for that particular stone? All non-Australian sites I will have to factor those 3 fees into final pricing.

If I do proceed to buying a stone online, I just want to make it a sound purchase, fair price and bang for buck I suppose =)2

I've looked at many videos of lab stones and they all come up brown tint or blue nuance in this K colour range. It's really hard for me to gauge real life appearance vs ?any artificial lighting in the videos to make the stones look better than they are.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A k cvd lab is almost always going to be brown.
Many of them will be treated to a higher color.
HPHT k on the other hand could be many different colors.
In an older process orangish/yellow and in a more modern process blue are most likely.
A HPHT k is one that process problems either produced to much color(blue) or not enough color(many possible colors).

Mrs Bucket

Rough_Rock
A k cvd lab is almost always going to be brown.
Many of them will be treated to a higher color.
HPHT k on the other hand could be many different colors.
In an older process orangish/yellow and in a more modern process blue are most likely.
A HPHT k is one that process problems either produced to much color(blue) or not enough color(many possible colors).

Thank you Karl_K:
Yes I was concerned if this stone had PGT it would be a case of run and keep looking , or if it fell in the "that's a good stone" category

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results