shape
carat
color
clarity

CVD Lab Grown Rough Diamonds

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We all should know what natural rough Diamonds look like (I hope). I just had the pleasure to study up close some CVD rough for the first time..., It's no easy process preparing such crystals for cutting. You must laser saw off the black crystalline border around the colorless cube (diamond). Only then will it be possible to cut it on the polishing wheel.
I much prefer the natural beauty of the Rough Diamonds Mother Earth supplies but wanted to share this picture of CVD rough with you all. 19534897_241197436371741_4547721079077994496_n.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting the picture, diagem - fascinating :)

Is this the first MMD you have cut?
Are they any different to cut than non-MMDs? (other than the aforementioned lasering!)

Are the lines in the upper crystal in the exterior 'casing' or in the diamond itself?!

ETA: Would using MMDs make Octavia diamonds slightly more affordable? ;-) lol

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi. Didn't cut a MMD yet. Those were to low quality for me to R&D with. I am waiting for a better batch.
I believe (not 100% sure) it's the Diamond wafer or seed as its called?? It grows upward from this base so yes, it's the Diamond material already.

Once I do some research I'll be able to come back and give my impressions.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice ! Almost as interesting as pearls.

Looking forward to these other diamond concepts - if you are.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very nice ! Almost as interesting as pearls.

Looking forward to these other diamond concepts - if you are.
At least you think so valeria101, on other social networks they didnt seem to enjoy this image so much..., yes, I much rather look at natural Diamond rough than at this MMD specimens.
Hopefully soon valeria101, after all, "concepts" is my middle name...:cheeky:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been reading lately of how synthetics were seen at the commercial beginning (1900s), before gemmology, before the last hundred years of transactions ... Enough history already.

MMD in a hyper 'natural' cut would be highly amusing ! [hint: you are revisiting ever older cuts - but not the oldest]

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been reading lately of how synthetics were seen at the commercial beginning (1900s), before gemmology, before the last hundred years of transactions ... Enough history already.

MMD in a hyper 'natural' cut would be highly amusing ! [hint: you are revisiting ever older cuts - but not the oldest]
Who told you that? :saint:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fake news ?

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Synthetic rubies, sapphires, and emeralds were made around 1900, and were more popular than mined stones for a short time. There are some gorgeous synthetic stone art deco rings out there.

According to Wikipedia there were some scam claims of synthetic diamonds, or possibly just wishful thinking and synthetic spinals, in this period as well.

I had thought the first were grown by General Electric in the 1950s, but apparently the Soviets were doing it earlier and didn't tell anyone.

Wiki says the first gem quality diamond was grown by GE in 1970, which fits with my memory. I also recall the DeBoers bought the patent.

Either way the CVD is striking. I really hope someone will start cutting H&A synthetics, and that they will be popular enough to be profitable. Of course I figured synthetics would be everywhere in the 1980s.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will never buy these lab grown B.S. stuff..."Ain't nothing like the real thing baby":!:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will never want a taste of an interesting cut ?

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will never buy these lab grown B.S. stuff..."Ain't nothing like the real thing baby":!:

Sometimes I don't know what to say to this.

There are people who like, or hate, all sorts of things that don't mean much to me--baseball cards, exotic beers, on and on. I don't begrudge people the right to care about this.

But synthetic diamonds are the real thing. They are opticially, chemically, and physically identical to mined diamonds. You cannot tell the difference--I could try to explain spectroscopes and growth sectors, but it would sort of prove the point.

Of course a person might like the idea of diamond mining, just as some people like the idea of antiques or handmade, even if there's no real difference. But that's not what I hear.

There are in fact many times when synthetic is better..but this isn't one of them. Synthetic diamonds are the same. Period. And that's no BS.

I would invite you to take a step back from the jewelry industry--an industry that runs on shaping social expectations--and see if you learn what you are really saying.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That could be a footnote to a picture of pearls - if 'growth cell' might be tad surprisng language.

[Too much to be said about crystal growth in those & it all comes to mind looking at these beauties - with & without policrystalline rims.]

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Very cool picture and interesting stuff. Any updates diagem?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results