CvB Sneak Peek and help with stone orientation

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the E/W orientation and I also love the tab prongs

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think set north to south, it makes the stone look round? It makes it more obvious that it's a cushion set E/W.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Are you milgraining the shank? If so, maybe she could also milgrain the tips of the tabs to soften their appearance a bit.

no milgrain for now! but I'm open to it in the future depending on the wedding band.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I too prefer the N/S orientation and agree with flatter/thinner tab prongs that are all the same size (could be the pic but 2 seem a bit shorter).

Also, is there any concern about removing the existing head? It's very incorporated into the rest of the setting and not like a peg head that you could just lop off so I'd double check that there won't be any issues with those lovely frenchies popping out in the process or down the line since they've already been set.

That's a good question but as CvB offered to have the head remade, I'm sure it will be fine. There is a part of me that worries the rest of the ring may look slightly different once the head is remade but I think its a risk I have to take! Hopefully in the age of CADS its easy to get the same results twice.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think set north to south, it makes the stone look round? It makes it more obvious that it's a cushion set E/W.

Here are some non scientific/non exact pics to test this theory! IMG_4686.jpg IMG_4687.jpg IMG_4691.jpg IMG_4692.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer it in the N/S orientation as well.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a good question but as CvB offered to have the head remade, I'm sure it will be fine. There is a part of me that worries the rest of the ring may look slightly different once the head is remade but I think its a risk I have to take! Hopefully in the age of CADS its easy to get the same results twice.

Just be certain you don't settle! It shouldn't look different, it should be seamless and if not, the whole thing should be remade. You asked for it to be set N/S and it wasn't so this wasn't a mistake on your part and it should be *perfect*.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
N/S makes the diamond look bigger, so that gets my vote

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more note...what looks big in the pics isn't in person. My tab prongs are not the least bit bulky in person. I personally would not change how they did your tabs. It's a gorgeous ring!

(I also would think the ring was cast in two pieces, so there should be no issue just changing out the head. It's not like it's cast in one piece. In any event, Caysie's bench is excellent, so I wouldn't worry about it. Change it if you think you love it more the other way!)

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
One more note...what looks big in the pics isn't in person. My tab prongs are not the least bit bulky in person. I personally would not change how they did your tabs. It's a gorgeous ring!

(I also would think the ring was cast in two pieces, so there should be no issue just changing out the head. It's not like it's cast in one piece. In any event, Caysie's bench is excellent, so I wouldn't worry about it. Change it if you think you love it more the other way!)

Thanks @diamondseeker2006 your asscher was a big inspiration! I think maybe your tabs blend a little better because they are a white metal on a bright stone? But generally yes I agree, these close up pics make things look way bulkier than in real life.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Time for photoshop frankensteins! I just magnetic lassoed the center stone and fllipped it. Not my best work! But I think it looks better N/S! Thoughts?

Edited to add: I think E/W the stone looks more out of round, whereas N/S it looks cushion-y..

In each picture the left side of the picture is N/S and the right side is E/W.
5B4FFA05-3DA4-42B0-B9D9-D65FB3331621.JPG 32C2FEE5-F27B-42A7-8753-1C16E5085852.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4686.jpg
    IMG_4686.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4687.jpg
    IMG_4687.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree...I prefer it N/S!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's so weird because in the N-S picture the stone looks elongated and in the E-W picture it looks more square! It does look larger N-S in this comparison!

That is true that YG prongs are going to show more, period, regardless of what the metal is. Did you ever consider a platinum head and yg shank? Many rings are set that way. However, I think the yg tabs look fine, too.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's so weird because in the N-S picture the stone looks elongated and in the E-W picture it looks more square! It does look larger N-S in this comparison!

That is true that YG prongs are going to show more, period, regardless of what the metal is. Did you ever consider a platinum head and yg shank? Many rings are set that way. However, I think the yg tabs look fine, too.

it really is so weird how different it looks set two different ways! Someday I want a small round stone in a platinum/yg crown type setting but when this stone had a platinum setting before it would sometimes go kinda grey/green in some lights so I opted for yg.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and setting. I prefer N/S too and the tab prongs are divine. They are secure and smooth, I would leave them as is. Love your ring!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Time for photoshop frankensteins! I just magnetic lassoed the center stone and fllipped it. Not my best work! But I think it looks better N/S! Thoughts?

Edited to add: I think E/W the stone looks more out of round, whereas N/S it looks cushion-y..

5B4FFA05-3DA4-42B0-B9D9-D65FB3331621.JPG 32C2FEE5-F27B-42A7-8753-1C16E5085852.JPG

These pictures are such a great comparison! It makes a huge difference - N/S is definitely much more appealing and makes your stone look significantly larger, to me anyway.

I love the tab prongs!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and setting. I prefer N/S too and the tab prongs are divine. They are secure and smooth, I would leave them as is. Love your ring!

thank you :) went through a lot of different stones and setting ideas but it's almost there!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
These pictures are such a great comparison! It makes a huge difference - N/S is definitely much more appealing and makes your stone look significantly larger, to me anyway.

I love the tab prongs!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it! I was surprised too since the stone's l x w measurements aren't that different.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DEFINITELY n/s in my opinion!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
Yeaaaaa! N/S makes SUCH a huge difference, don't you think? IMHO, the N/S orientation shows your diamond off as it was meant to be! And, I am so jealous. Your Antique Cushion Cut diamond is gorgeous. The setting is beautiful, too. I do think the largish tab prongs on @diamondseeker2006 Asscher Ring look more proportionate due to the metal color and the SQUARE-ness of the Asscher.

I still think slightly refined prongs will give you the antique look you seek, yet de-empasize the irregular shape of the stone (versus the larger prongs). I think the bulk and squareness of the tabs emphasizes the irregularity of your stone, which is okay if it doesn't bother you...that's the beauty of old cuts, Mine Cuts and Cushions, right??

Folks who cannot live with the low color and irregularity of old diamonds go with the AVC or AV European Cuts, right? And yes, these macro-shots are frightening at times and definitely not the way anyone will ever view your beautiful ring (except for a jeweler, or you if you use a loupe-smile).

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yeaaaaa! N/S makes SUCH a huge difference, don't you think? IMHO, the N/S orientation shows your diamond off as it was meant to be! And, I am so jealous. Your Antique Cushion Cut diamond is gorgeous. The setting is beautiful, too. I do think the largish tab prongs on @diamondseeker2006 Asscher Ring look more proportionate due to the metal color and the SQUARE-ness of the Asscher.

I still think slightly refined prongs will give you the antique look you seek, yet de-empasize the irregular shape of the stone (versus the larger prongs). I think the bulk and squareness of the tabs emphasizes the irregularity of your stone, which is okay if it doesn't bother you...that's the beauty of old cuts, Mine Cuts and Cushions, right??

Folks who cannot live with the low color and irregularity of old diamonds go with the AVC or AV European Cuts, right? And yes, these macro-shots are frightening at times and definitely not the way anyone will ever view your beautiful ring (except for a jeweler, or you if you use a loupe-smile).

Definitely!
Going n/s for sure and asking for flatter prongs. And thank you for the diamond compliments, I'm excited to see the stone in person again soon!

Thanks all for your input, I will certainly be back with updates.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I much prefer the N/S orientation! The stone looks far more symmetrical in that position and larger, as well! Your new CVB setting is gorgeous and I do love the tab prongs! I would have the setting adjusted and then I think your ring will be perfect in every way! No need to recut the stone at all! :)

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@acv123 what happened in the end with your ring? I’m keen to see how it turned out

Hii and happy almost New Year!
It was remade so the orientation would be N/S as originally planned. The remake took about 5 weeks I think, but once I have it in hand I'll share lots of pics and the timeline etc. I have seen it in person and its beaaauutiful, but I haven't been proposed to yet! ;-) Mostly my fault, wanted to get past the holidays and been preoccupied with work. I want to be able to really enjoy receiving and wearing it so I asked for a temporary delay if that makes sense.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hii and happy almost New Year!
It was remade so the orientation would be N/S as originally planned. The remake took about 5 weeks I think, but once I have it in hand I'll share lots of pics and the timeline etc. I have seen it in person and its beaaauutiful, but I haven't been proposed to yet! ;-) Mostly my fault, wanted to get past the holidays and been preoccupied with work. I want to be able to really enjoy receiving and wearing it so I asked for a temporary delay if that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense and ooh I bet you’ll be excited to get it. We’re all looking forward to seeing it on your hand :lol-2: Happy New Year!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results