shape
carat
color
clarity

CutWise, DiamCalc, light properties software

holyrock

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello, wondering if any of you have experience with diboxjd pro/ cutwise live, i think it could be a great addition to my office as itd make it way easier to explain light performance of a stone to clients. I build on the fact that when someone orders a ring, i look and find the best possible stone in their budget, focused on light performance.
I had few people point out how a stone they found elsewhere was better color and a little larger for the same price. It can be quite insulting, and its not always easy to explain to those people how diamond brilliance works, how ideal cut isnt always an ideal cut, how slightest change in %'s can completely change how the diamond looks in the end. Giving them an ASET scope or ideal scope can make them pretend they understand but thats about it, this thing however has white leds, uv, office lighting, ASET, diffuse enviroment, H&A and its a cute tabletop ball with a lens sticking from the top, so its not intimidating to client like maybe just aset scope could be.

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hello, wondering if any of you have experience with diboxjd pro/ cutwise live, i think it could be a great addition to my office as itd make it way easier to explain light performance of a stone to clients.

In my experience it depends on the client.

The entry level tool I've found most useful is a set of comparison stones which appear to be the same size under bright lights but - when the consumer moves them into indirect or low light - the well-cut stone appears bigger because it remains bright, edge to edge, while the average cut stone goes dead at the edges. Credit to @Garry H (Cut Nut) for this.

1628005252860.png

Seen in context: https://www.pricescope.com/education/diamond-carat#visual-spread

This 10-second 'elevator' grabs the viewer's attention, with very few exceptions. In most cases it opens the door for further dialogue, frequently an introduction to Ideal-Scope or ASET. CutWise Live would be extremely useful in those cases.

For the most curious (often architects, CPAs, musicians or artists) we might graduate to using DiamCalc after the scopes. As an entry-level education tool it's extremely useful in showing how a dozen diamonds all weighing (X) carat weight and all having (Y) cut grade can have notably different geometries and brightness potential.

The goal is to keep the "aha" moments coming. That comparison stone set above has had most success, for me.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For the most curious (often architects, CPAs, musicians or artists) we might graduate to using DiamCalc after the scopes. As an entry-level education tool it's extremely useful in showing how a dozen diamonds all weighing (X) carat weight and all having (Y) cut grade can have notably different geometries and brightness potential.

The goal is to keep the "aha" moments coming. That comparison stone set above has had most success, for me.

How do you know the guy or gal who wrote the DiamCalc computer program got it right? :mrgreen2:

holyrock

Rough_Rock
Trade
How do you know the guy or gal who wrote the DiamCalc computer program got it right? :mrgreen2:

DiamCalc isn't 100% accurate when virtually creating an image of a stone, like 3d realistic one. But it is as far as i know flawless in calculating exactly how light moves through a stone if its properties are input right. The calculation part of the team are like top of the top university of mathematics in Russia students and professors, it is a really really cool software. Sadly they are done with supporting it, atleast that what iv been told when inquiring about it week ago.

Im gonna buy CutWise Live pro and all the extra lens for it and ill review it for you friends. If i dont use it much in the end i probably wont even mind, i really like how it looks... Expensive cute ball paperweight in the worst case scenario.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Im gonna buy CutWise Live pro and all the extra lens for it and ill review it for you friends. If i dont use it much in the end i probably wont even mind, i really like how it looks... Expensive cute ball paperweight in the worst case scenario.

a CutwiseLive video sample

Screenshot 2021-08-04 at 13.32.48.png

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, I decided to stop sales of DiamCalc because for a few hundred dollars the support people seem to believe they have a right to every time they buy a new computer was driving me nuts.
Yes DiamCalc is without a doubt the best rendering diamond software full stop.
The light performance measures are not fool proof and trying to use them will confuse and clients (and probably you too).
The problem with all cut grading systems that work on an idividual diamond (HCA and GIA systems are look up tables and give the same results for black diamonds).
DiamCalc and AGS will also give the same scores for black diamonds too.
All the pixel counters that make videos and photos are also not reliable.
We do not know what diamond beauty is.
Cutwise.com is the most advanced thus far, but is still not a fool proof diamond cut grading system. Imagine matching all sorts of human opinions from millions of diamond shoppers and new owners to build a data base.

If you really want to learn why then you need to understand human vision first - and that hurts your brain.

I think you have had a look at it already Holyrock?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results