shape
carat
color
clarity

Cutting & Polishing Natural Diamond Video

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I posted this 13 minute video in Rocky Talky showing every step in the modern process of polishing a natural diamond.
I am posting it here because it is worth noting that many of the most costly parts of diamond planning, precision sawing and constant rechecking are not required in polishing grown diamonds.
Certainly getting everything right is as important, but maximizing yield, avoiding inclusions, cutting many stones from a single rough etc are not part of the process for grown diamonds.
I helped develop some of the tools and equipment you will see and have visited this factory several times.
This company had CSR before the term was invented. Puts paid to the idea that Indian diamond cutters are all impoverished, abused and underpaid.
Their staff bonus system is based on making the best decisions, from value created from an individual rough diamond, to matching or exceeding GIA's call on the 4C's. It starts with how workers arrive. Walking or riding a bike gets bonus points. Arriving by car by yourself gets a penalty. This started system in the early 90's.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, great fun to watch how complex it is to get a rough diamond to its final polished perfection. Thank you for posting! I don't know how those guys can do this day, after day, after day... very tedious. Also think about the added stress from management looking down on these individual cutters and polishers on every little detail/error that could be made!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, great fun to watch how complex it is to get a rough diamond to its final polished perfection. Thank you for posting! I don't know how those guys can do this day, after day, after day... very tedious. Also think about the added stress from management looking down on these individual cutters and polishers on every little detail/error that could be made!

I guess part of the fun aspect is the challenge to get a better result which pushes people and teams to grow and develop.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Do they have a policy against hiring women?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Great question. I have been in cutting factories were all the people on an area are women. And all are men ( more common).
Outside of Asia such as Botswana mixed working environments are more common.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been thinking about this Glitterata and discussing with my wife who worked with a lot of Indian developers. She found many of the Indian women to be exceptionally smart.
But the main reason is only 19% of women in India actually work (that is for money, but I bet they work their butts off keeping house with fewer mod cons than in the rich world!).elopers.
There is a lot happening in India toward the advancement of women in what has been a man's world.
For example they have just announced an Indian professional womens cricket league. The mens league, IPL, is now 15 years old and is the 2nd highest grossing sport in the world. So they have high expectations for the WPL.
I have asked Venus for comment via their Best Practices manager, and also note in their best practices statement that they:
"Contribution for promoting Education including financial assistance to schools, including encouragement to female Education."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results