shape
carat
color
clarity

cutting from white to color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now we all know that D-J and beyond are cut for white light return, refraction etc. And we know that fancy dark yellows etc are cut for maximum stone color return. At what point or range do they stop cutting for white light return? M? Q? How low in color could you possibly get an ideal cut diamond?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you could obviously cut an ideal stone at any color but what is the market for it? that is going to determine the cutoff.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 11:59:32 AM
Author: belle
you could obviously cut an ideal stone at any color but what is the market for it? that is going to determine the cutoff.
right - exactly.... I know I''ve seen ideal cut K stones and I think I''ve heard of ideal Ls?? and I know by the time you get to xyz stones they''re being cut for color.... so I''m wondering all of the m-w or so are they just cut for size, color and light return be damned? I''m asking because I like light yellow stones - not fond of fancy dark yellows.... but I would rather have it cut for refraction/light return than color saturation. I just think the m-p colors are nice but was wondering if that range is cut for one way or the other or if that zone is just strictly for size and cut is horrible either way?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 1:34:01 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

I know by the time you get to xyz stones they''re being cut for color.... so I''m wondering all of the m-w or so are they just cut for size, color and light return be damned? I''m asking because I like light yellow stones - not fond of fancy dark yellows.... but I would rather have it cut for refraction/light return than color saturation. I just think the m-p colors are nice but was wondering if that range is cut for one way or the other or if that zone is just strictly for size and cut is horrible either way?
i don''t think the cutoff is that low. as you said, there are a lot of stones in between there! i think you probably start looking to maximize color around that low l range. if you can trap the body color of an ''m'' color stone and make it face up with more yellow (colored stones are graded face up) then you are better off than you would be cutting it ideal and losing some color (as a benefit) and missing your market.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 1:52:42 PM

I know by the time you get to xyz stones they''re being cut for color.... so I''m wondering all of the m-w or so are they just cut for size, color and light return be damned? I''m asking because I like light yellow stones - not fond of fancy dark yellows.... but I would rather have it cut for refraction/light return than color saturation. I just think the m-p colors are nice but was wondering if that range is cut for one way or the other or if that zone is just strictly for size and cut is horrible either way?
i don''t think the cutoff is that low. as you said, there are a lot of stones in between there! i think you probably start looking to maximize color around that low l range. if you can trap the body color of an ''m'' color stone and make it face up with more yellow (colored stones are graded face up) then you are better off than you would be cutting it ideal and losing some color (as a benefit) and missing your market.
This is unrelated...sorry for the thread jack, but anyone know of a place to purchase well-cut XYZ stones?? I''m not in the market now, but maybe someday. I''ve seen some in person and I like the lemon color of them.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 1:59:07 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Date: 2/1/2007 1:52:42 PM

This is unrelated...sorry for the thread jack, but anyone know of a place to purchase well-cut XYZ stones?? I''m not in the market now, but maybe someday. I''ve seen some in person and I like the lemon color of them.
Try Diamonds by Lauren.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We have cut some stones to our standards, that were down to N-colour.

Many cutters will cut O-P and lower colour like fancy colours, hoping that the stone can be passed off as a light fancy colour.

Live long,

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 2:15:00 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
We have cut some stones to our standards, that were down to N-colour.

Many cutters will cut O-P and lower colour like fancy colours, hoping that the stone can be passed off as a light fancy colour.

Live long,
oooh this is very good to know!!!
36.gif
thanks paul!!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/1/2007 11:34:53 AM
Author:Cehrabehra
Now we all know that D-J and beyond are cut for white light return, refraction etc. And we know that fancy dark yellows etc are cut for maximum stone color return. At what point or range do they stop cutting for white light return? M? Q? How low in color could you possibly get an ideal cut diamond?
K-L and some M''s will get an added value from being cut to ex/ex proportions (they would probably face-up whiter!!!)

In fancy colors the value is measured a bit different "Color before all"!
So you find most low body colored diamond cut in so many variation to keep the body color in the diamond. And there are barely any laws on cutting these types of diamonds.

But make no mistake!!!..., the higher the saturation of the ''desired'' color and the better the cut of the diamond possessing this color the more value it has!!!

And that value is measured in doubles..., for example a gorgeous cut Round Brilliant in a vivid shade can easily be valued double and more than a vivid modified round shape cut to hold that color.

Thats why beautifuly cut step-cuts and Ex/Ex round brilliants possessing top color intensity are a different league from the rest.

Basicaly, if you want a great GEM, it still needs to possess a great CUT....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results