shape
carat
color
clarity

Cutting and polishing diamond

nishantacharya

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,
Iam nishant from Nepal, am new to this forum. I hope you will help me.

Iam planning to start my own manufacturing lab to cut and polish diamonds. Iam searching for the best institutes that offers diamond manufacturing course in India and can't decide the best one . Can anyone suggest me..?

And also what are the tools and equipments needed for cutting and polishing diamonds. Iam doing a research on my own from internet and am clueless .

Please help me

Thank you

nishantacharya

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the reply and link .

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello Nishant. There are a number of ways to approach education and training.

Suggest you start with the short, 6-day rough diamond course offered by IGI in Mumbai or Surat. This is a unique curriculum, highly recommended. If you want to chase full credentials before cutting, continue with IGI's polished grading course, or shift over to GIA and pursue a Graduate Diamonds and/or Graduate Gemologist diploma.

Look into IDI Surat's rough planning & manufacturing course. This takes about 6 months. When you have finished you'll find hands-on cutting/polishing is everywhere in Surat and Mumbai, but it's primarily in established cutting houses, where you may spend a lot of time in a single position. If you're not planning on a long-term job or internship with an existing producer, the people at IDI may be able to recommend a local polishing school.

An alternate path would be HRD Antwerp. In about 4 months you could complete rough and polished diamond assessment, and a hands-on polishing course. That would require relocation to Belgium, which is nice if you like great food, drinks and chocolate.

Q: Are you planning to establish an autonomous operation? Or do you have ties to an established sightholder or manufacturer?

nishantacharya

Rough_Rock
John thank you so much for the reply.

As you mentioned about IDI , yes Iam planning to join professional diamond manufacturer course of 6 months . Is it different from the one u suggested i.e rough planner ?

I don't have any plans to relocate to Belgium I want to do something here in my country.

Iam planning to pursue my career in this field for long term.

And iam planning to operate this on my own I have no contacts with any organizations and manufacturers.

Can you please say what would be the investment for the tools and equipments..?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
John thank you so much for the reply.

As you mentioned about IDI , yes Iam planning to join professional diamond manufacturer course of 6 months . Is it different from the one u suggested i.e rough planner ?

I don't have any plans to relocate to Belgium I want to do something here in my country.

Iam planning to pursue my career in this field for long term.

And iam planning to operate this on my own I have no contacts with any organizations and manufacturers.

Can you please say what would be the investment for the tools and equipments..?
You're welcome. Yes, the IDI course you named is correct.

Afterwards, you will need to find a hands-on polishing school. I know they exist, but my work in India has all been with established cutting-houses.

RE investment: This depends on your final goals. It's a notable investment, regardless, but being competitive with others in India will require solid technology for planning and assessment. Examples:

Rough analysis, such as Galaxy or Helium Rough
Planning software, such as RDA or Oxygen
Plug-ins, like PGS and Facetware
Polished analysis, such as Axiom or Helium Polished

For actual execution, you need a laser solution for sawing (possible to outsource) or standard sawing blades. Bruting wheel, blocking machinery (unless you do it by hand) a first-class skaife and polishing mill, and the array of pots, dops and tangs corresponding to the different sizes, shapes and applications you're working. Examples here. You'll also need boiling facilities, but that can be outsourced too.

For the solutions you pursue I would recommend Lexus India. They used me as a consultant, so I've been on premises and visited some of their clients. Lexus is connected with top operations and has earned a great reputation. They are also terrific people.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nishant

Welcome to the forum.

I have to say, you have been so lucky coming on here today and finding John Pollard. He is one of the people here who can tell you the most and an educator too.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nishant,
you need firstly clarify rough( polished) size, color , clarity that you are planing to cut then you may select most effective tools for this rough type .
Melee size, 1ct, 10 ct polished diamonds demands a different technologies, tools, business process
there are different technologies for round and fancy cuts, for colorless and fancy colors, for 0.01 ct and 1ct diamonds, to produce 1 diamond per day or 100 diamonds per day

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have to say, you have been so lucky coming on here today and finding John Pollard. He is one of the people here who can tell you the most and an educator too.
Thank you Pyramid. Tip of the hat - it's nice to see you posting.

Serg could be a valuable resource/contact for you Nishant. You might note that I linked to several solutions innovated by his company in the examples above.

nishantacharya

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for ur reply to my querry
Is it worth to take this course and pursue my career in this sector..?
By how much margin does the value changes after the rough diamond is cut and polished?

nishantacharya

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much john.

Can you please give me your email Id or anything so that I can communicate with you more often and put my queries to you. Is that possible?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results