shape
carat
color
clarity

CutAdvisor: How do I read the results? TIC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemfire

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am new at selecting diamonds, but I am in the market for a diamond engagement ring. I have found a possible signature-ideal diamond on BlueNile.com. Did an analysis on CutAdvisor (https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp), and the resulting "Total Visual Performance" scored above 1.0, but below 1.5. How do I read this? Is lower better or otherwise?

Does anyone have comments about BlueNile.com? BBB shows them as reputable and I have read good comments on ePinion.com.

Thanks a bunch!

New guy... gemfire

smaggard

Rough_Rock
If you get a score below 2, that is the important thing (ruled out known losers). I wouldn't put too much direct emphasis on the numbers below that to say 1.0 is better than 1.5 or anything like that. Due to the slight variances or errors in different machines, the numbers can change ever so slightly. For instance for the SuperbCert I recently purchased, I have the original OGI Megascope report, as well as a Sarin report, to get the angles and values from. So on one report the average crown angle is 34.3, while the other is 34.4, and some of the other numbers have similar variances. So using different combinations, I get an HCA score of between 0.9-1.4....and this is the same stone.
Hope that didn't confuse you, just wanted to point out not to get too engulfed into thinkinhg you need .3 lower on HCA. If the highest you got was 1.5, that's enough to know you weeded out the losers and probably have a nice stone. Of course to take it one step further you can have it sent to an independant appraiser and have everything checked out. there are many listed under "appraisers" here, and all have good reputations, but that's your choice, whether you want to pay an appraiser to verify it and all.
Good luck!
10.gif
10.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Gemfire, welcome.

Blue Nile has good reputation here as well.

PS: Smaggard was faster
1.gif
[/u]

Smooth

Rough_Rock
Hi gemfire, maybe this page will help. https://www.pricescope.com/article/23_bicfic.asp

Basically, once you get under a score of 2.0 it starts to come down to personal preference.

As for Blue Nile, generally what you will hear is that they are a good, reputable company with lots of selection. However, they are very large and as such you may not get the level of service or as much information on individual diamonds as you would with some smaller vendors.
Additionally, their prices are typically higher than smaller internet vendors as well, although they do not gouge you like many mall stores.

I've read many posts from people who were very satisfied with their Blue Nile purchases, but you should investigate other stores to see what your options are. Search the forum for lots of opinions on BN.

gemfire

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your replies. This site is very informative, but I still have some ways to go before I make a purchase. I am looking more for a FIC than a BIC, but a TIC leaning towards a FIC would be tolerable.
rolleyes.gif

Smooth: Any store recommendations where I should start researching my options? Any personal favorites? Thanks.

Cheers!
gemfire

Smooth

Rough_Rock
Well, there are many vendors that have great reputations here.

Some the ones you see mentioned the most would be Diamond Brokers of Florida, Good Old Gold, Whiteflash, Dirt Cheap Diamonds, Nice Ice, SuperbCert, Abazias, USA Certed, and others. Browse the forums and you'll see lots of opinions and recommendations regarding different vendors.

I would say a good idea would be to e-mail different vendors and tell them what you're looking for.

gemfire

Rough_Rock
Thanks.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that in my opinion it's hard to 'search out' a BIC or FIC. Most of the well cut stones will be TIC's or similar as they are all going to have elements of a BIC and a FIC but in a more 'moderate' manner. A BIC may display more white light. A FIC may display more colored light. A TIC will have a blend of both BIC and FIC in a well proportioned manner (in an ideal way). So just keep in mind that TIC is not an undesirable trait...it just means it's more mainstream for a well-cut stone.

Chances are a BIC stone will have a larger table and slightly shallower depth, lending it that white light brilliance. A FIC will most likely have a slightly smaller table and a little more of a steeper depth, giving it more fire inside the stone. From what I have seen, FIC's and BIC's are not necessarily considered by the 'masses' as well-cut stones (e.g. something like a 62% table on a BIC and a 63.5% depth on a FIC make both of those stones out of the AGS0 range)...so if you are going to be searching for 'signature' stones or 'ideal' stones, you will most likely not find a BIC or FIC. There may be one out there, but I just wanted to give you a heads up that it may be hard to 'search one out'....most of the time you find out you have a BIC or FIC by plugging the #'s of a stone you liked into the HCA and then being surprised.

Also--if you are looking for something slightly more fiery...check out GOG's site because Jonathan does have some stones that seem to score much higher on the FIRE side of the BrillianceScope (not everyone has this tool). I would think if you found a really well cut stone that scored off the charts on the Fire aspect of Bscope with slightly lower on Brilliance, you'd have a very fiery stone. As opposed to looking for a stone with a balance of all three.

My two cents
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results