shape
carat
color
clarity

cut vs clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Newbie99

Rough_Rock
Hi all,I'm having difficulty choosing one of the two diamonds that I'm consider buying. My idea of an engagement ring WAS "a flawless diamond" because I'm buying it to keep. However, after reading many posts in this forum I begin to realize that many experts focus on Cut rather than Clarity. Please give me as much info about these 2 diamonds and which one you would buy. The pros and cons of each one. Many thanksFirst diamond:
Weight 1.06
Color: F
Clarity: IF
Depth: 61.5
Table: 56
Polish: Very good
Sym: Ex
Price: 8900Second diamond:
weight: 1.06
Color: F
Clarity: VVS2
Cut: A Cut Above H&A
Price: 9200

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Newbie99
smile.gif
You are right, we speak a lot about cut probably because it is the most complex factor responsible for the beauty of a diamond.However, you have to decide for yourself what is more important for you - clarity or cut. It is very much a matter of taste.Some will say, "Why pay for IF or VVS if you won't see inclusions with naked eye even in good SI1".Other will say, "Why pay for premium cut if the difference in light return is only a few percents".Best answer you will find if you'd be able to compare several different diamonds with each other and tell what is more important for you.This ACA diamond has very good proportions (crown angle=34.6°, pavilion depth =43.2%) and scores 1.7 (Excellent) on the Cut Adviser.Since we don't know crown and pavilion data for the first stone it is difficult to say but it also could be very nice stone. Its total depth is not deep.

Newbie99

Rough_Rock
Leonid,Thank you for quick reply. I'll try to obtain crown and pavilion info of the first diamond then I'll let you test it out on your Cut Advisor.
Your post suggests that regardless of which diamond I chose, there won't be any different to the eyes? If so, can I just compromise these 2 qualities for Carat weight and get a bigger diamond for the same price?
Hmmm this diamond business is getting more more headache for me as I learn more
smile.gif

Many thanks and wait to hear from you soon.Regards,
Kevin

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Newbie99,Garry is right. I was trying to say that you have to decide for yourself what qualities you can bear. It is all very personal.Definitely you won't see the difference between IF and VVS without a loupe. Many people wouldn't even care about such a high clarity. However, for you it might be extremely important...Cut is different. Many people see the difference between well-cut and ordinary stones. Besides, deep stones can cost more because of the weight while look bad.But, again, only you can decide.Good luck
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Great score indeed! Could you post crown and pavilion angles? I guess this stone is from the Internet as well?The price is right for both diamonds. It looks like you won't make an error with any of them.A Cut Above diamonds are very precisely cut but the first one has higher clarity and $300 less expensive... Sorry mate
smile.gif
I cannot tell you witch one to chooseleonid

Newbie99

Rough_Rock
Leonid & Garry,Thanks so much for the info. I think I need more research and really shop around more. True, choosing a diamond is all up to the buyer's taste, but your expert opinions defintely count
smile.gif

one more question. What's the different between GIA and AGS reports in term of value. I've seen almost identical stones with different lab report, more than often, the GIA stone always cost more. However, I feel that many experts in here lean toward AGS. Is there a catch?
Many thanks
Kevin

Newbie99

Rough_Rock
Leonid,I got more information on the first diamond and scored .6 ex,ex,ex,vg on the Cut Advisor. So, $8,900 for 1.06 F/IF sounds reasonable? Please I need as much advises as I can, since this is my whole saving account. Thanks so much.
Kevin

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Both AGS and GIA reports are very much respected in the trade. AGS has an advantage that they report more data on the cut. Besides, since they have the cut grading system, cutters used to send their stones to AGS only if they expect to get "ideal" cut grade. Diamonds with AGS0 grade usually cost more than similar stones with GIA report.If you have checked the tutorial on this site, you probably have read that current AGS cut grading system is not perfect and quite a few AGS0 diamonds can be worse than some AGS1-6.You can use Holloway Cut Adviser as preliminary filter when assessing the cut quality for the diamonds you cannot examine alive.leonid

Newbie99

Rough_Rock
Leonid,Here's the info of the first diamond:Depth: 61.5%
Table: 56%
Crown: 15.5%
Pavilion: 42.5%I got .6 ex,ex,ex,vg for this stone! a lot higher than the A Cut Above H&AI found this in Santa Ana, California. There's this mall that has about 50 stores one next to another! They even allow me 7 days to decide whether I should keep the diamond. They also ask me to stop by GIA Carlsbad to have everything verified (Carlsbad is half way between San Diego and Santa Ana) I am thinking about buying this one instead of the A Cut Above. What do you think? should I shop some more? I don't need this stone until July though. Any suggestion? Please your input will be very very appreciated.
Kevin

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Newbie99, 0.6 is an excellent score and the stone should look great. If it is really as represented it should be a great find. To make sure you might want to check it with independent expert like Pamela White, Vista, CA or Steven Policastro, San Diego, CA (see www.pricescope.com/appr_list.asp )I guess you've had an opportunity to see the stone and compare it with others, right? Do you see the difference?HCA Scores: Please keep in mind that this is a preliminary filter and cannot substitute life examination of the diamonds.If the score is below 2 one should take other beauty factors into account such as symmetry, polish and H&A pattern. Obviously current version of HCA doesn't take them into account.Please don't get me wrong. You ask tough question
smile.gif
Both diamonds sounds great. If I would recommend one vs another without seeing them, It will be at least unprofessional and might sound impartial
frown.gif
It is pity that you cannot see and compare these two diamonds. You might want to call Whiteflash and ask whether they can help you in this situation. They are very friendly and professional fokls
smile.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
You can order the A Cut Above stone and compare it to the local stone in order to decide. Whiteflash does have a return policy. You could even have the independent appraiser look at both.

Newbie99

Rough_Rock
Leonid & Lawmax,Thank you so much for your help.
Leonid, I spent almost a day looking at stones, and to be honest, most of the stones look pretty much the same. I only notice the differences in 2 stones if there's a big different in the table size. However, this stone really stands out, it seems to have more color.
I will contact Whiteflash.com to see what I can do in this situation. There might be a problem because I don't have the money to order from both places at the same time
frown.gif

Back to the question "buy Now or not to buy Now
smile.gif
" Leonid, I won't need the stone until July, so I don't know whether or not I should wait and keep shopping. Assuming everything about the stone represented is correct, in your expert opinion, what is the likeliness of me finding a better deal here on the internet?
Leonid, Lawmax once again I appreciate your help.
Kevin

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Kevin, if the stone is as represented it looks like a good find. Price is comparable to lowest prices you could find in the web for the similar stones. Besides, you have an advantage to see the diamond and compare it to others, which is a big plus. Checking it with independent appraiser is always a good idea since you might want to insure the diamond and will need an appraisal anyway.

Newbie99

Rough_Rock
Leonid,Thanks very very very much. I'll let you know the ultimate result this July
smile.gif

You know, this is a great site, you guys have done an excellent job.Kevin

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
My pleasure, Kevin
smile.gif
Good luck and keep us updated

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results