shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut, Symmetry & HCA (comparing stones)

Cartaf03

Rough_Rock
I just bought two LG diamonds on the internet. These stones are almost identical.
Both GIA triple-x, VS2 E-color.
Stone 1 (2.09ct) - HCA .9 and 57% table with 60.9% depth, girdle is3.5, 8.29x8.26x5.04mm

Stone 2 (2.07ct) - HCA 1.1 & 58% table with 60.5% depth, girdle is 3, 8.24x8.28x5mm.

Stone 1 has the lower HCA. Under Hearts/Arrows scope it looks better and has culet centered under table. It's arrows are more defined and hearts are cleaner with almost recognizable chevron. Still not likely a true H&A Stone.

Stone 2 has a culet just slightly off center, has messier Arrows, and it's Hearts have no gap between chevron and are way sloppily.

They look extremely similar under ASET Scope, it's crazy.

While the symmetry and cut on Stone 1 appears better Stone 2 performs better in light. It has a deeper contrast, and has way more scimlntilation, fire, and brilliance. Both stones are gorgeous, but after asking 3 people to identify prettier Stone, each selected Stone 2. Additionally, when side by side, stone 2 consistently looks bigger than Stone 1.

Does anyone have any ideas why stone 2 just seems to out perform Stone 1? Do these images look off or am I reading them wrong? Is it probably just the other facets that arent represented by H&A and HCA? I know H&A, HCA, and other metrics are predictors, I'm just curious about feedback from images and other thoughts from experts and enthusiasts...

2023-06-01-22-13-55-314.jpg 2023-06-01-22-16-53-912.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! There is a lab grown subforum here on PS that will probably garner more information for you on these stones. You can ask the moderator to move the thread over there.

Cartaf03

Rough_Rock
How do I contact moderator to have post moved?

Cartaf03

Rough_Rock
Stone 1

Screenshot_20230531_122440_PDF Extra.jpg

Stone 2

Screenshot_20230602_103348_PDF Extra.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can hit Report concern and have them move it.

Having a lower HCA than another stone doesnt mean the stone is bette. You want stones to score under 2. Under 2 means they
are worth a further look (to get the images, which you did...yeah).

Stone 2 ASET and idealscope images are tilted. From these images, I dont believe you can conclude that the Culet is off-centered.

I agree Stone 1 has a better H&A view than Stone 2.

Stone 2 has the better Crown/Pavilion angle numbers. 34.5/40.8 is right on the sweet spot. 34/40.8 is not bad but 34 paired with
41 would be better I believe.

Lets see what @Karl_K has to say.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
When you have very similar diamonds there are a ton of variables not directly related to the diamonds proportions and images that can create a preference.
My take on it is that a double blind and scientifically fair comparisons would yield different results as would long term real world wear both testing.
That said if in their own environment one speaks to them more then go for it.
Just be careful to view them in as many lighting conditions as possible.
However it would not be valid to apply that to someone else even with the same diamonds.

edit: key words similar diamonds, the more different the diamonds the more differences.

Last edited:

Cartaf03

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Full disclosure, these stones were purchased for personal use. And, I took the ASET & Ideal scope images myself under the exact same lighting conditions. The Stone 2 never provided better H&A imaging (under my makeshift home environments).

Additionally, I was extremely biased in favor of Stone 1. I purchased it from a company I really like and prefer to work with. That company gave me a significant discount off their normal markup and has treated me well with regards to customer service. They've been more flexible. Company 2, I was unfamiliar with and their sales staff are a bit aggressive and business-only oriented. They're not rude, but they dont me you feel comfortable.
Likewise, Stone 1 had the lower HCA score and better H&A images, and slightly larger size and weight. Combined, all this had me predisposed to love stone 1.

It's the surprise that stone 2 looks bigger and clearly has better performance across the varied light environments we've tested. I did 2 more additional blind tests (not scientific) but when answering the questions:
1) which is bigger
2) which is more sparkly
3) which is prettier

Respondants each stated stone 2.

I was just curious if there was anything above that might be proposed for a hypothesis or something to delve into and consider when evaluating specs or images. I love the nuances and have followed PS for years though I seldom have cause to engage.

@Karl_K and @tyty333 , Thanks for the thoughts and any additional input is always welcome...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results