shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut Question: Go for calibrated size, or largest yield?

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I have been talking with Doug at Bespoke Gems about cutting a cushion garnet for me and he's given me a difficult choice. He says the rough will yield between a 7 and 8 mm stone, probably close to 7.5 to 7.8, and he like to know if I wanted it rounded down to an even 7mm. I'm inclined to ask for the largest yield possible, but then I think I'm forced to have to go custom with the setting vs. off the shelf. Is that assumption right?
What would you do?
As always, thank you so much for reading and input. I am amazed at your collective knowledge and willingness to help others.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Paula :wavey:

Oooh, you're going to love Doug's cutting!

My experience has been that if it is very close to a calibrated size, say within 1-2 mm, a skilled jeweler can work with a commercial setting. My experience is working with prong settings only. I am sure others, who have much more experience, will chime in and guide you further though. Best of luck and how exciting! What type of garnet, may I ask?

~ faegrace

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might still fit a calibrated setting since commercial settings have a give of 0.5 mm either way. If the stone ends up 7.8 mm, go for the next setting size up to 8 mm. For a 7.5 mm setting, you probably should go with the 8 mm setting as well due to depths of coloured stones being deeper than diamonds, which is what most settings are made for.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both very much for your responses! I spoke with Doug and we decided to go for the largest yield. I figured that if it were to shake out to be around 7.8 mm and he rounded down to 7, that would be quite a shame. I will probably go with a customized ebay setting or completely custom so size really won't matter. I appreciate your advice on the setting size as well!
Fae, it is an umbalite garnet. He has an oval posted that another PSer is interested in and I wanted a cushion so I asked him about this rough. We are going for the Nigerian Cushion and I'm hoping it turns out as beautiful as I think it will! Here's the rough if you're interested:

r155a_large.jpg

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
and the facet pattern:

nigeriancushion.png

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Paula ~

That is going to be INCREDIBLE!!! I am so glad you are working with Doug and that umbalite rough is no longer waiting for its purpose. :bigsmile: I am a huge fan of cushion cuts, so I cannot wait to admire the finished gem. Congrats, Paula :appl:

~ faegrace

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see that you've decided but my advice would have been to allow Doug to choose. As it's not an issue for you with setting that I think Doug having the freedom would mean you'd get the best possible cut. I am really looking forward to seeing the final stone.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That is going to be fabulous! Glad you made the decision to go for the best the rough will produce re: size. You can't go wrong with Doug & it's worth it to get as much stone as possible, even if it means going custom on a setting. At least, if I were the lucky one making that decision. Can't wait to see the result!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results