shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut Quality Between Brands [Question/Discussion]

stesy

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, I'm new here and am shopping for an engagement ring. I've learned a lot from Pricescope regarding the 4C's and the forum member's enthusiasm towards ACA, BGD, & CBI diamonds.

The question I have is if ACA, BGD, or CBI diamond cuts are superior to the diamonds cut by companies like Graff, Harry Winston, or Van Cleef & Arpel?

I noticed the latter's prices are at least 50% higher than what I would get from the online vendors and was wondering if this is because their cut is superior or if it's a marketing/brand name premium.

Thank you!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
You are definitely paying a premium for the brand name from companies like Graff, Tiffany's, Harry Winston, etc.

That is not to say they don't have beautiful pieces/diamonds, but the same quality (or better) can be found elsewhere for far less.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Having a Graff ring & a Harry Winston of my own , I can say their cut quality is incredible. Each piece is a true treasure.
But since I don't have the other brands, I can't compare them.

stesy

Rough_Rock
Having a Graff ring & a Harry Winston of my own , I can say their cut quality is incredible. Each piece is a true treasure.
But since I don't have the other brands, I can't compare them.

Hi Polabowla, thank you for your reply. If you happen to own a ring with a round brilliant diamond from them, would you be so kind to post a picture? Thank you!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry @stesy my rings are not round.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My answer is yes, but just based on my personal observations. I do think their diamonds are beautiful but I am confident I find my CBI as beautiful as any of their stones. Because it is cheaper at least by half, I am ahead. Knowing leakage is minimized gives me comfort that in all environments brightness will be maximized, which I really do NOT feel Confident about with the other brands. Again, my opinion based on what my eyes see and my review of AGS GIA certed and matching to actual stones. Not sure what you would need to do to get to that point. Or if you will or want to.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
in my personal, first hand experience, i have found that the world renowned brands such as graff, tiffany, cartier, harry winston, van cleef & arpels, etc ... place significant focus and emphasis on their lengthy and established heritage, craftsmanship of their respective ateliers, after care service and maintenance on a jewelry piece, long after purchase, the in store purchase experience, brand recognition and prestige ...

it's more on the jewelry piece, as a whole, rather than the ideal cut precision of diamond(s) within the jewelry piece.

some adore and embrace a jewelry piece, such as a diamond ring(s) from these established maisons and are willing to furnish the premium. others would much prefer to source each component of their rings to their desired specifications and then have the ring built. and in doing so, not only not pay that much of a premium. although, the branded agsl 000 super ideal round brilliants, old europrean, antique cushion/old mine, do still carry a premium, just a smaller premium, in comparison to the graff, cartier, tiffany, harry winston, vca, etc...

at this time, agsl 000 super ideal/ideal are limited to round brilliants, old european and antique cushion/old mine

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results