shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut of coloured stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Point me in the right direction if this has been asked before, but I can''t find a thread. How do you evaluate cut on coloured stones? Are the guidelines the same as for diamonds? Are different parameters in use for different colours/grades etc? I presume you can''t use IdealScope or ASET?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m not really sure what the rules are in comparison to diamonds. I''m sure that someone here will have some knowledge to share. I just look for a nice even cut, good proportions, no window, a pleasing color, not a lot of extinction, those types of things. I''m pretty sure Pricescope has some colored stone info on this site. I''ll check for you.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Here it is!
https://www.pricescope.com/colorgems_intro.asp

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Innerkitten!
35.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome. I noticed there was some info being discussed in this post as well today. It''s the one titled tilt window.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/window-when-stone-is-tilted.109957/

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Porridge,
I don''t think that the cut of coloured stones can be evaluated along the same lines as that of diamonds. They have different optical properties, for one. I look for symmetry and the lack of windows. Other than that, it''s colour first for me!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Good advice Harriet. I guess I just need to get out there and look at many, many stones! Ah, life is hard...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah colored stones are an entirely different world from diamonds in cut. There is well cut without windows, extinction, bowties, etc and there are not so well cut that may have any of those flaws that the well cut stones don''t have.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 4:10:20 PM
Author: Porridge
Good advice Harriet. I guess I just need to get out there and look at many, many stones! Ah, life is hard...
Yes! Try to go to as many gems shows as you can. You''ll quickly learn to suss out the good, the bad, and the ugly. Where are you located, if you don''t mind my asking?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Hi Porridge,

I evaluate colored stones based on their best face up view. I start with color and brilliance, and then I look for windowing, extinction, and symmetry. I also look at the stone in profile to assess pavilion bulge, if any, and check to see if the girdle is thin enough for the stone to be set into jewelry.

There are many custom cutters on this board who can take some of the cut guess work out for you, but there is a lot of pleasure to be derived in the hunt.

Have fun playing with gems!
1.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Freke!

Harriet I''m in Ireland at the moment. Not much in the way of gem shows going on here. I''m moving over to California in July (for a few years, cos of FI''s job), so I should be well based there I think?!?

Coati you''re a mine of info, thanks a million
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, especially if you''ll be in LA.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome Porridge! You''ll be my neighbor soon.
35.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 10:46:00 AM
Author: Harriet
Hi Porridge,
I don''t think that the cut of coloured stones can be evaluated along the same lines as that of diamonds. They have different optical properties, for one. I look for symmetry and the lack of windows. Other than that, it''s colour first for me!
+1000

mz

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 8:29:34 PM
Author: coatimundi
35.gif
Sweet! We''ll have a Porridge Comes to Cali GTG and you can educate my wee blank canvas of a brain!
Seriously can''t wait to get out of this friggin rain and into the sun
10.gif
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And even with colour, there''s so many nuances within it.
1. Saturation
2. Tone
3. Hue

I would like at least decent cutting, something that won''t detract from the beauty of the stone. The best way is to just get a lot of exposure to gemstones. Browse gem shows, read good gemmology books, check out the free course at www.acstones.com and visit some high quality coloured gemstone jewellers/stores.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 8:59:25 PM
Author: Porridge
Date: 3/16/2009 8:29:34 PM

Author: coatimundi

35.gif

Sweet! We''ll have a Porridge Comes to Cali GTG and you can educate my wee blank canvas of a brain!

Seriously can''t wait to get out of this friggin rain and into the sun
10.gif
36.gif

hehe--We should!

Get outta the rain indeed! Let''s see, today it was sunny clear and cool--around 65 degrees. It should be warming up pretty soon!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results