shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut Grading in regards to Sym/Polish

AussieUser

Rough_Rock
I read somewhere in order to get an excellent Cut rating the sym/polish needs to be VG to EX, and i know GIA doesnt grade cut on Princess cut diamonds

But in theory Is this true?

Also when i compared a Princess cut VVS2/F 1.00 and a E/VS2 1.06
the E/VS2 has EX Polish and EX Symmetry

The F/VVS2 has VG Polish and VG Symmetry.

I looked at the 2 stones side by side and in different lighting, even under the table in the darker lights.

What popped to me was the F/VVS2 was just more brilliant overall.
It sparkled under the table, outside in the natural light and inside better than the E/VS2

Would that mean that in theory the F/VVS2 may have been slightly better cut than the E/VS2

Thanks

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. If it sparkled more, it is better cut. Polish and symmetry matter with RBs for cut *grading* but they have little impact on actual appearance and cut *quality* until you get down to the Good range. The same is likely true for princess cuts wrt the effect of polish and symmetry on diamond appearance.

druidtime

Rough_Rock
I agree with Dreamer.

Since you have the opportunity to see the stones with your own eyes, I would go with what your heart and eyes told you which one was better.

Symmetry in RB's is the determining factor for the H&A pattern, but is not determining how much sparkle you get, as Dreamer said. VG/EX sym/polish are beautiful stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results