shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut Critical For What Size Accent Stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
We all know that cut is king around here, at least I believe it has a significant impact on the appearance of a diamond. Given the popularity of settings with pave and accent stones, how concerned should one be with the cut of the small diamonds?

At what size do the diamonds get so small that it becomes diminishing returns to seek out ideal cut stones, 2 points, 1 point , 1/2 point? All of the magnified pictures of the arrows on the ACA melee rings look impressive, but can you really see a practical difference when the diamond is that small as say micro pave in the Ritani endless love ring?

I was curious since many settings are sold pre-made with accent stones and many designers and ring manufacturers will only make rings with their own accent stones. How much effort is it it worth to find ideal cut melee or to spec it out with the jeweler?

P.S. I know that Whiteflash sells ACA melee and makes rings, but I was wondering how important it was with all of the rings and settings that I''m seeing around here.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/17/2004 10:42:51 AM noobie wrote:

How much effort is it it worth to find ideal cut melee or to spec it out with the jeweler?

P.S. I know that Whiteflash sells ACA melee and makes rings, but I was wondering how important it was with all of the rings and settings that I'm seeing around here.

----------------

I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to cut. I tried on a 7-stone band this past weekend next to my e-ring, and though it was nice, the diamonds certainly didn't pop the way mine do.

I see the difference, and I'm willing to have a ring custom made through WF to get that discernable difference. Whether that's important to you (or anyone else) really depends on how sensitive you are to cut.

bling

Shiny_Rock
I aslo opted for ideal cut stones for my wedding band. they are about 0.12ct each, 5 of them, so they are not as small as the ones you are describing, but just the same..i wanted them to look at least as nice as my center. but its up to you, and your sensitivity to cut, especially in smaller stones. many will say that once they get that small, it is very hard to notice a difference.
appl.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. What size are the stones on your band Al?

Would any the jewelers that see a lot of rings have any comment? Robin and Tod and Wink, you guys always have interesting and insightful views.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
imho cut is important even in smaller stones.
My ideal cut diamond in my PS pin is a lot better looking than some other melee diamonds I have or have seen.

Im talking to diamondexpert aka Gary @ www.diamondexpert.com about some h&a melee that is a lot less expensive than the aca melee.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/17/2004 2:41:59 PM noobie wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. What size are the stones on your band Al?----------------
They are 5-pointers, noobie.

Dadof4

Rough_Rock
I thought that labs generally don't do certs on small stones (less than .40) since it is not cost effective. If that is the case, how do you get ideal cut sidestones?

bockee

Rough_Rock
I asked the same question in a post today--- did you learn the answer?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think it matters even at a small size, I can see the diffrence between the ACAs in my ring and the stones I saw at Facets, is it huge....depends on how sensitive you are, is it there, YES.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results