shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut Cornered Square Step Cut

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I purchased the lens kit that @elle_71125 recommended in one of her posts. Thank you for the recommendation. The diamond is in diffuse light with no additional lighting and nothing adjusted on my cellphone except zoom to focus the pics.

d2pt+dFZQUCZqvWVgpQYVg.jpg
oKXC0wbuRO6AvE3FopRjmA.jpg
IB4B54jyT6y5GiXO6NxMgA.jpg
The lens kit is the xenovopro, I believe. you can find it on amazon for a very reasonable price. We should start a thread of macro photos of our diamonds. Is anybody in?

I'm glad you found a way to photograph this beauty. It really is stunning. I think more photos are needed now that you have the kit though. :lol:

The whole question on how to construct a 3 stone ring with the right side stone shapes and proportions is part of my dilemma with my new asscher. A lot of the amazing designs on instagram seem to feature much larger asschers and its hard to tell how these designs would look scaled down for a more modest centre stone. :think:

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondhoarder, I agree with you on the difficulty in finding a setting for a smaller asscher. It makes me wonder if I should return this diamond and save up longer for a larger diamond or a different shape. It has taken so long to find this diamond though and I am not young. Decisions to make.
Have you found a setting that you like? You have received some incredible advice on your thread and I have enjoyed reading the suggestions.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondhoarder, I agree with you on the difficulty in finding a setting for a smaller asscher. It makes me wonder if I should return this diamond and save up longer for a larger diamond or a different shape. It has taken so long to find this diamond though and I am not young. Decisions to make.
Have you found a setting that you like? You have received some incredible advice on your thread and I have enjoyed reading the suggestions.

No, I haven't found a setting yet. I'm also wondering whether to keep mine because of setting qualms whilst also feeling lucky to have found it after a long search and not wanting to let it go :roll If I didn't already have a haloed step cut (see my avatar) I would halo this in a heartbeat because I think that halos work really well with smaller asschers. But I dont want another halo ring in my collection.

Its one thing to find a lovely asscher, especially when good ones are hard to find, but its another to end up with the perfect ring which ticks all my boxes in terms of design, proportions, side stone cut and shape etc etc. After all, we dont wear a loose stone, we wear a finished piece of jewellery.

Everyone who has seen my stone so far thinks I would be mad not to keep it. And I feel as though I might have massive regrets if I return it. I'm never likely to find another I like as much within my budget with these specs.

I also have it in the back of my mind how asscher owners all say that their stones suffer a lot more than other cuts when dirty. So I keep thinking: will my asscher ring look sub-optimal more easily and drive me mad with the constant need for daily cleaning.

Then I keep looking at the photos and videos I took of my stone and thinking WOW - its amazing. But then I wont be wearing a macro photo on my finger.......:wall:

Arghhhh - analysis paralysis :shock: :lol-2:

Last edited:

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I hope my deliberations about my my stone and setting are not making you waver about yours. I do think yours is an amazing find and that you should keep it! :mrgreen: You seem to have managed to to find a stone with Royal Asscher specs without paying the premium for the brand. If you do really want an asscher I think you would regret returning it, because as you say, it takes forever to find a really nice one. Plus if its from JA there is an option of upgrading if you ever do find a larger one to beat this one.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@OcnGypZ that setting is gorgeous! I have been shying away from halos since I am divorced and feel that they are more of an engagement design. Though, do unmarried women really need diamonds? I would like to think so.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
@OcnGypZ that setting is gorgeous! I have been shying away from halos since I am divorced and feel that they are more of an engagement design. Though, do unmarried women really need diamonds? I would like to think so.

It is two baguettes per side - placed vertically and horizontally. Of course we need diamonds! :love::love:

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondhoarder, no, your deliberations are not influencing me. I have purchased and returned more diamonds than I care to admit due to my reluctance to spend the money. I am always paranoid about unforeseen expenses, also, I have a custom prosthetic eye which must be replaced every three to five years. I could use the money for that instead of a diamond. Hence the question, do I really need a diamond or money set aside?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a small comment about the daily cleaning - I brush my OEC with a soft toothbrush morning and night with dish soap and water, rinse well then dry with a soft towel. It takes about 20 seconds to do usually after I’ve brushed my teeth. Daily cleaning doesn’t need to be an onerous process. Once a week I’ll do a deeper clean but the daily one does a good job of keeping the stone sparkly. If your setting is open underneath that’ll make things even easier

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondhoarder, no, your deliberations are not influencing me. I have purchased and returned more diamonds than I care to admit due to my reluctance to spend the money. I am always paranoid about unforeseen expenses, also, I have a custom prosthetic eye which must be replaced every three to five years. I could use the money for that instead of a diamond. Hence the question, do I really need a diamond or money set aside?

Princessandthepear I understand your dilemma. I always second guess myself endlessly with jewellery purchases because they are not necessities (although sometimes they feel like it :lol:).

The good thing about a diamond is that is has intrinsic value which can be enjoyed on your finger instead of festering in the bank (this is how I like to justify my purchases ;)2). And if down the line you suddenly find you need to access the funds then at least you can sell your stone and hope to get back a decent proportion of what you spent. Particularly if you have bought a high performing stone from an online vendor with lower mark-ups.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results