shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut-Cornered Square Step Asscher vs Square Emerald Asscher...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nzguy

Rough_Rock

Hi all,

First up, big thanks to the people on here who have seriously helped my understanding of my particular interest – the Asscher shape. I’ve been reading this site for a short while now while researching them and it has been invaluable.
36.gif

This forum led me to Whiteflash after all your great recommendations and Bob has very kindly suggested two Asschers I might want to have bought in for them to check.
One is a Cut-Cornered Square Step Cut vs the Square Emerald Cut of the other. My understanding is the first is more of an “original Asscher”, and the GIA drawing shows the greater number of steps in the pavilion and slightly deeper cut corners. I’ve posted the GIA details below and would like a quick thought or two from the Asscher-massive on here that have given so much helpful advice in the past to others. I believe that the deeper-cut corners and higher number of steps would be more of the look I am after, but wanted to know if you could all see massive advantages in the other rock instead (for example the H colour of the CCSSC is a grade lower than I was originally going to go).
Want to get this right too because I’m living in London (and from New Zealand!) so if I can hit the right diamond 1st time before getting it sent over would be of great benefit. Understanding of course that Bob will do a great job in checking it for me first but no point in wasting anyones time! Here they are then:

Shape/Cutting Style CCSSC
Carat 1.03
Colour H
Clarity VS1
Depth 68.8
Table 63
Measurements 5.62*5.48*3.77 (1.03 L:W)
Girdle m-stk
Culet no
Symmetry ex
Polish ex
Fluor ft

Shape/Cutting Style SEC
Carat 1.01
Colour G
Clarity VS2
Depth 68.8
Table 58
Measurements 5.59*5.52*3.80 (1.01 L:W)
Girdle m-stkf
Culet no
Symmetry vg
Polish vg
Fluor no

Cheers all, like I said, leaning to the first and this is only to have it scoped, photo''d etc... Not super picky because I''m not informed enough to be but obviously want the e-ring to be the best!
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
either one could be good either one could be a dog by the numbers.
The second has slightly better numbers.
Id get pictures for both then decide.
The numbers just give you 20% of the info you need for an asscher.

nzguy

Rough_Rock
Yup, agreed - I''ve got Bob to bring in the first one and we''ll see what it shapes up like - big question is the difference between the two cut styles. The plot shows deeper cut corners on the Cut-Cornered Square Step cut as well as a greater number of steps in the pavilion.

Could one of the asscher experts perhaps let me know of the differences between this cut and the Square Emerald? Have got the CCSSC in for imaging etc but would like to know why GIA rate them as a different cut style.

Thanks all.

* I am REALLY not an expert in diamonds =] *

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/10/2005 12:50:52 PM
Author: nzguy

Yup, agreed - I've got Bob to bring in the first one and we'll see what it shapes up like - big question is the difference between the two cut styles?
GIA calls every step cut that is not strictly an EC by some different name...

In this case, all it says is that the thing is square, has the corners clipped and is step cut. With recipe any numbers of looks is feasible. However, if the corners were extremely deep cut the stone would be called "octagonal step cut" - which is not the case.

A Royal Asscher (or copycat) or an old Asscher might be called that way - and if this is the case, lucky you. The larger table does suggest this is not the case... but the number is not huge and another cut characteristics may still yield the coveted look.

Honestly, I'd rather see this unusual one than yet another square EC.
2.gif

Oh... and the plot may be quite far from reality. More often than not they are no closer to the look of the real item than a subway map is to the shape of the real subway network... and that is never veru close. The clarity plots are just "maps" to help locate inclusions for anyone that might want to reality check the clarity grade.

nzguy

Rough_Rock
*Oh... and the plot may be quite far from reality. More often than not they are no closer to the look of the real item than a subway map is to the shape of the real subway network... and that is never veru close. The clarity plots are just "maps" to help locate inclusions for anyone that might want to reality check the clarity grade*

Excellent - I thought that was the case but wasn''t too sure, and I like the subway analogy - especially living in London!
1.gif
This one has nothing on the plot and "cloud" listed in the plot comments bit underneath. Thanks Ana

Now, Bob has sent me through Sarin, picture and idealscope... I think it looks great, just the shape I wanted - as Bob put it, beautiful. Guess I should post them up here, huh! Worried that suddenly I''ll find out you all think its awful though... Odd given I haven''t met you all but you obviously know your stuff
3.gif

Here the images are them, by the way, crown height is 14.1%. Sarin shows different dimensions to the GIA which I found interesting - 5.52*5.63 (Sarin) vs 5.62*5.48 (GIA).

Attached them as the insert image was having trouble (or more accurately I was...)

IS_GIA14265236.jpg

nzguy

Rough_Rock
Nope, seemed to show up fine! Here''s the picture...

DI40X_GIA14265236.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2005 3:55:14 AM

I like the subway analogy - especially living in London!
OMG ! I was indeed thinking of the London subway...

That diamond got trully lucky finding just the right cuter. No wonder you like it - ''guess anyone would go for that charmer.
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2005 3:55:54 AM
Nope, seemed to show up fine! Here''s the picture...

Big tilt in the photo.

Overall pretty good.
Pattern symmetry is a little off but Iv seen a lot worse.

kimmbe

Rough_Rock
Wow -- I''ve just started looking for asschers myself and think this is a stunner! Would you be offended if I asked you the prices for these? The size is the largest I think I would go, and would love to know if it''s in our price range . . . good luck and I think it''s going to be a fantastically gorgeous ring!

nzguy

Rough_Rock
Hi Kimmbe,

I went to Whiteflash with a budget of USD5,000 for the loose diamond after seeing one on their list slightly under that. Both the diamonds I listed here were well within that budget - to Bob''s credit there was no "hey, here''s a nice one for $5,800" type malarky...

And sorry but the one in the photo is now taken
2.gif
Strongly recommend dropping Bob or anyone there an email to get an idea of what''s around for the moneys (obviously with some specifics around the key measurements you''re looking at and letting them know if it''s just at research stage, but I almost guarantee they will still help out). I was lucky enough to want the first one I saw from them (although have seen many others elsewhere) and went from first email to purchase of diamond and then setting in about a week! So careful, its dangerous!
3.gif
Also go through their Expert Selection photos (and goodoldgold.com''s asschers) to see which style etc you like - as the folks here will say, there''s a huge range in looks on these things.

Will attempt to "add to the knowledge" and post other photos etc once it gets back with the setting.

Good luck with finding a good one - they''re out there and more reasonable than I initally expected

10.gif

kimmbe

Rough_Rock
Nzguy,

Thanks so much for the info- that''s perfect -- that''s the range I was looking for -- I wonder if I can tell them I "want a stone like nzguy got?" :) Good luck on the setting and can''t wait to see the final pics after it''s done!

Kimberley

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
PERSONALLY I THINK THE FIRST STONE WILL HAVE MORE OVERALL APPEAL--THE SECOND MAY HAVE SLIGHTLY BETTER NUMBERS BUT CUT CORNERS WILL GIVE YOU A MUCH MORE ANTIQUE ASSCHER-Y LOOK EVEN W/O THE DEPTH. ALSO THE SECOND WILL LOOK VERY SMALL FOR ITS WEIGHT AS IT IS NOT ONLY DEEPER BUT IT HAS SUCH A SMALL TABLE.......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results