shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut, Clarity, Carat, or Color?... HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mishamish

Rough_Rock
Hello,

What is most important: Cut, Clarity, Carat, or Color? I want to go as big as my budget can handle without giving up other important factors. The only way my untrained eye can differentiate one diamond vs another is through size. But, i don''t want to completely ignore the other C''s and then end up regretting it in the future.

In regards to clarity, cut, and color.. Is there a certain low point that one should never cross? I.e. J-L, SI3-I3, Premium Cut...

Of course if money wasn''t a factor i''d splurge in all categories.. But since I’m limited w/funds ($10k max), i was wondering if to the naked untrained eye, certain imperfections could be unnoticed. Also, do any of the C''s help retain the value more than other C''s?

Thanks you all in advance!

MaxPow3r

Rough_Rock
Of all the diamonds I''ve looked at in person, obviously the size is the first thing that jumps out at me, but second is definitely cut. I can definitely tell a well cut diamond from one that is just so, so.

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there, and welcome to Pricescope!

By far the most important C is cut. Without a good cut, it doesn''t matter how big it is, it will just sit there and won''t sparkle at all. It will be dull and lifeless. So cut is the most important. After that, its a personal preference. Some like very high color and clarity with a smaller size while others enjoy lower colors and clarity for larger sizes. Its really up to you at that point, but cut is king!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, it would be a good idea to get some sense of what your lady likes, just to be safe: over the past few months, we''ve had a score of posters trying to come to terms with the fact that their intendeds ... misunderstood ... their priorities: people who wanted two carats, but forgot to specify that they didn''t like anything below near-colorless, or people who got small rings from big-brand stores who would have preferred less "prestigious" but larger stones, etc., etc. Personally speaking, I love warmth, but your lady might not: if you can''t find out her preference, you should be safe in the G-H range or above. Clarity, likewise: there are posters on here with *gorgeous* SI rings, but there are also those who want to stay in the VS range or above for mind-clean issues (and each stone should definitely be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, as even some SI1 and even VS2 stones can have eye visible inclusions). I wouldn''t go to I1 or below for an e-ring, but that''s just me. As for cut? Cut is paramount. Of all the C''s, that''s the one you don''t want to skimp on. Your budget is generous and fantastic - you''ll find a beauty!

mishamish

Rough_Rock

Thanks all for the responses... much appreciated!!

So it seems like cut is the clear favorite for what not to skimp on. Isn''t cut the only one of the C''s that doesn''t have a clear rating system? All the other C''s have numbers, levels, letters, and ratings, yet cut only has Ideal or Premium.

What method is best to truly finding a nice cut? Are there certain measurements such as depth, crown, table, that i should look for? Is florescence and symmetry and indication of the cut as well, or is that something totally different?

This is getting a bit overwhelming...

23.gif

p.s. This forum/site is amazing, very glad that i stumbled upon it!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2008 9:59:17 AM
Author: mishamish

Thanks all for the responses... much appreciated!!

So it seems like cut is the clear favorite for what not to skimp on. Isn't cut the only one of the C's that doesn't have a clear rating system? All the other C's have numbers, levels, letters, and ratings, yet cut only has Ideal or Premium.

What method is best to truly finding a nice cut? Are there certain measurements such as depth, crown, table, that i should look for? Is florescence and symmetry and indication of the cut as well, or is that something totally different?

This is getting a bit overwhelming...

23.gif

p.s. This forum/site is amazing, very glad that i stumbled upon it!!

Firstly, don't go by labels such as Ideal Cut, Premium Cut etc, these are no guarantee of a well cut diamond! AGS and GIA grade for cut, AGS0 or AGS1 can be great choices, GIA Excellent or GIA Very Good cut grade can also be lovely diamonds, but with these especially evaluate each diamond on it's own proportions to find the best ones. As to what to buy, I would consider the best cut diamonds you can find and if you want size on a budget, look at perhaps GIA or AGS graded G to J colour and VS2 to SI2 clarity, the SI clarity grades can offer good value for money if eyeclean. See if you can look at some GIA or AGS graded G to J colour diamonds in person so you can see what appeals to you.

Here is a cheat sheet we use which you can use as a guide to help you find a well cut round diamond.

depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate.

Fluorescence has nothing to do with cut, in some instances it can make a diamond take on a blue glow under blacklight and in some sunlight, some of us are huge fans! It is a matter of preference whether you want it in your diamond, also it is said that it can help a lower colour grade face up whiter. I will post a link so you can read more.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fluor.asp

No need to be overwhelmed, we will help you!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mishamish,
I think that cut, then clarity are the most important. With a good cut and descent clarity, your stone should be sparkly and clear no matter the size (duh) or color. Color is a personal preference. Many people like and even prefer the warmer color stones, while others don''t like any warmth in the stone. (Example- I love icy white as well as warmer colors. My husband doesn''t like color at all, so he insisted on buying me a D color stone, but even into g-h still looks pretty darn white!) Search for well cut and good clarity (I wouldn''t go lower than SI1 unless you can look at it in person and be sure that it''s eye clean) and then worry about the size and color. Good luck!
35.gif

mishamish

Rough_Rock
Wow... that was a lot of info Lorelei. Thank you!!!

I''ll definitely use your guidance and specs as my search continues...
thanks again

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2008 10:56:24 AM
Author: mishamish

Wow... that was a lot of info Lorelei. Thank you!!!

I''ll definitely use your guidance and specs as my search continues...

thanks again
Glad to help and you are very welcome! If you have any more questions, just shout!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results