shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut and price

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chase26

Rough_Rock
Hi,
First of all i''d like to say that this is a great site. Very informative! I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the current deal i''m looking at is a good one or not. I''m looking to fill a platinum engagement ring with this diamond. It is a .60CT, Round brilliant, Measurements-5.42-5.35x3.39mm, Depth-62.80%, Table-56.00%, Crown-15.20%, Pavilion-43.70%, Girdle-Med.to Sl.thick, Culet-None, Polish-VG, Symmetry-Good, Clarity-VS1, Color-E, fluoreascence-Faint. It is EGL certified and the price i''m being offered for this diamond is $2400. If you could please tell me if this is a fair price for this diamond it would be a huge help. Thanks for all the help!

Chase

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good Morning Chase, Welcome to the forum,

I will answer your question this way: If you go to the home page and click in Search by Cut Quality you will find a couple of GIA graded E VS1 diamonds with excellent cut grade for the same $$ or less. I might add that they are not ours but our competitors. You will probably end up with a much prettier diamond for the same or less price.

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
I totally agree with Bob. You can get a better cut diamond for that price. I'd pass on that one.
1.gif
Oh and EGL isn't know for their accuracy either.

Heather

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
Yep, I think that you should do a little more research and try to stay with g.i.a they are known to be the strictest in grading.
"shop and compare" before you decide!!

good luck

Chase26

Rough_Rock
Bob,
Thanks for the feedback. I am looking at a few on this site and realizing that there are better quality diamonds out there. My concern is this; Buying a diamond from the net that i can't see with my own two eyes (getting ripped off) and also the dealer made a statement about apprasing the diamond and setting for more than double the cost. They said that not a lot of other dealers do this. They claim to be having a sale on their diamonds and settings. We found a setting there that we love, but their sticker prices on their diamonds are already marked down. Makes me think they do this all the time and just jack the price up to show what a bargain we're getting. I have seen more brilliant diamonds in other stores, but usually with bigger $ tags. How do i ensure that buying a diamond via the net is going to be legit and what about the appraisal price?

Thanks again for the lessons,
Chase

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Chase~

My sister did the same thing you are thinking of doing. She shopped stores looking at sets and rings to find what she liked. She is a stickler for how the ring feels on her finger. She found a ring she loved the look and feel of in a store, but did not like their diamond, and did not want to pay their price. She shopped the internet, but was not comfortable buying without seeing the diamond first. She found an internet dealer that shipped the diamond she selected online to an approved location in her area. She went to view the diamond, loved it, had it verified by an independent source, and bought it. Then she took her internet purchased diamond back to the store with the ring she liked and had it mounted. She saved over $1,000 compared to what the store was asking for the same half carat ring, got the look and feel she wanted, and a much nicer diamond than the store was offering.

Of course, the store slammed her diamond when she went to pick up her finished ring. She immediately went to a certified appraiser who confirmed the deal she had gotten. He wholesaled the stone at several hundred dollars more than she paid, and appraised the ring at double the price the store was asking for the set-up ring she originally tried on.
2.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi again Chase,

Buying on the internet. The vendors you find here on pricescope have been around for several years. If one of us rips someone off just once...we are done...dead! We depend on "word of mouth" or in this case "word of internet"
for our business. If we mess up, everyone will know very soon. You are very safe buying a diamond here. You can also be quite sure that the cut of the diamonds that I guided you to are "most excellent" :)

Sales in B&M stores. Many stores do exactly what a store just down the street from my house does. You go in and look at diamonds. The salesperson showes you several diamonds. You ask the price, they look at the tag and say, the ticket price is $5000 but today you can buy this diamond for $2500. We will also give you an appraisal with the real value of the diamond of $5000. This half-off deal takes place every day of the year. They just change the name of the excuse for the sale several times a year. The sale price of $2500 is still way higher than you can buy a diamond here with vendors here on pricescope.
Do yourself a huge favor and get a better diamond for less price. Count yourself lucky that you found pricescope...tell your friends about the internet when your lady showes off her diamond.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chase,

I am by no means an experienced person when it comes to diamonds. I am a newbie like you. I just posted today regarding my purchase, and saw your post from yesterday... I just wanted to share with you the stats on the diamond I am buying off the internet today, perhaps it will give you a perspective on the difference between stores an online wholesalers. I am actually wiring the money tonight. I have found a lot of good info on online companies to buy from right here on this website; other customers experiences that you can trust. I don't think I could ever find the diamond I am buying today for the price I am paying at any local Jeweler. I know you are looking for a higher color than I purchased, but it might be a good comparison for you:
Round Cut
0.86, I color, VS1, 62.4 depth, 57 table, 6.07 x 6.1 x 3.8 mm, girdle: TN-MED, Cutlet: No, Polish: VG, Symmetry: good, Fluorescence: Faint blue
GIA certed and laser inscribed.
$2416.00

PS. I have heard that you should always stay with a GIA cert. EGL and others are said to be off sometimes especially with color and clarity.. at least this is what I have heard on this website and that other forum...

GOOD LUCK!!!
JIM
appl.gif
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI Chase--be wary of a vendor that guarantees their stones and/or rings will appraise at 2ce the value you paid. It is great if a stone and ring DOES appraise at 2ce or even 1.5 but appraisals are often inflated for retail purposes AND to make you feel like you got a great deal. Your diamond and stone is worth technically what you paid for them, as that is the amount of money you could replace them for tomorrow if you had to. Think of it that way and the appraisal is more of an insurance piece to know that you got the right deal.

Buying online is tricky as you cannot see the stone beforehand. But many people on the forum have come here confused and/or ready to buy from a B&M and found great deals online at some of the many Pscope vendors who are more than happy to deal with you and give you all the details and/or info you need. Alot of these same vendors also have amazing tools like the Bscope and IdealScope and/or DiamCalc which are all ways of virtually helping you view the stone and its light return and/or performance without seeing the 'real thing'. It is very rare that someone buys an ideal or excellently cut stone in the true sense of the word and is unhappy when it arrives. But should this be the case, a good return policy will fix that right up.

One other option is that once you have settled on a stone, have the vendor send it to an independent appraiser in your area. before payment. If you are local to that appraiser, you can go and look at the stone when it arrives. They will run their tests, and let you know if its as it says. Then the stone is shipped back to the vendor and you complete the transaction if all is to your liking. This is a great way to not have to buy the stone without seeing it IF you have a good independent appraiser in your area. A few people have done this and been really happy.

As the others note, EGL certs can be tricky. I would focus more on GIA and AGS certs...if you do find a stone with an EGL cert, make sure its a US branch lab and not Antwerp or London as they are more lenient with their grading.

Just for fun I passed the stone you were considering through the HCA with the %'s and it came up as a 3.1 which is 'worth buying if the price is right'. If this stone were under 2.0 it would be in the top 5%. As the others noted, that same $$ can get you a very similar spec'd stone BUT it will be excellently cut, with an HCA score under 2.0 most likely. I would continue to look.

Good luck!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results