shape
carat
color
clarity

Customs and Loose Polished Diamonds

novellevon

Rough_Rock
I'm considering purchasing some loose polished diamonds GIA certified from a dealer in a country in Africa. It will be for commercial purposes. From what I am reading, it would be duty free to bring them into the US. I am debating on if I should have them shipped to the US or to fly out there and bring them back on a plane. Reason for going out there on the plane would be meet the dealer and build the relationship (the dealer is well established with other jewelers in the US), not have to go through the importation process and customs brokers, surety companies, etc. Reasons to ship, lower risk of being robbed, loosing the stones, or limitations on the number of diamonds I would be able to bring over.

Questions:
1. What is the volume and value limit on how many loose polished diamonds can be brought on your person on a plane? Is there a difference if the diamonds are for commercial purposes (i.e., resale) vs. personal?
2. Is there any license that is needed to bring loose polished diamonds into the US on your person via plane?
3. Is the invoice statement that the diamonds " have been purchased from legitimate sources not involved in funding conflict and in compliance with United Nations resolutions...etc" sufficient for the Kimberly process or are other documents needed?
4. Does anyone have any experience on shipping diamonds from an African Country to the US for commercial purposes and could give some tips and guidance?

This is just one factor I'm considering, still assessing this opportunity.

novellevon

Rough_Rock
any help or point in the right direction? Reading other blogs sites that state it being duty free and not being duty free.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
novellevon|1454475438|3986030 said:
I'm considering purchasing some loose polished diamonds GIA certified from a dealer in a country in Africa. It will be for commercial purposes. From what I am reading, it would be duty free to bring them into the US. I am debating on if I should have them shipped to the US or to fly out there and bring them back on a plane. Reason for going out there on the plane would be meet the dealer and build the relationship (the dealer is well established with other jewelers in the US), not have to go through the importation process and customs brokers, surety companies, etc. Reasons to ship, lower risk of being robbed, loosing the stones, or limitations on the number of diamonds I would be able to bring over.

Questions:
1. What is the volume and value limit on how many loose polished diamonds can be brought on your person on a plane? Is there a difference if the diamonds are for commercial purposes (i.e., resale) vs. personal?
2. Is there any license that is needed to bring loose polished diamonds into the US on your person via plane?
3. Is the invoice statement that the diamonds " have been purchased from legitimate sources not involved in funding conflict and in compliance with United Nations resolutions...etc" sufficient for the Kimberly process or are other documents needed?
4. Does anyone have any experience on shipping diamonds from an African Country to the US for commercial purposes and could give some tips and guidance?

This is just one factor I'm considering, still assessing this opportunity.

Hey mate - you're asking on a forum filled with first time private buyers (that won't know), hobbiests (that likely won't know), and members of the trade (that are looking at this post and thinking 'WTF is this guy getting himself into!?" :D )...try contacting US customs for the information you're looking for.
Good luck mate...you're gonna need it ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results