shape
carat
color
clarity

custom vs. modifiying a pre-made band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

velogrrrrl

Rough_Rock
hi pricescopers,

i am in the process of looking for a wedding band to fit with my sapphire engagement ring.

it needs to be palladium, have a notch to fit next to my engagement ring, and have some small blue and green diamonds gypsy set on the top half.

1.) the jeweler who did my engagement ring can do this fully custom for $650.

2.) another jeweler can take a pre-made band and cut the notch into it, and set the stones into it for $200. i buy the little diamonds on my own ($200) and bring them in for him to set.

can you think of any reasons not to go with option #2?

i like my jeweler and want to be loyal, but $250 is a significant amout to save by going elsewhere.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Personally, I would go with your first jeweler. Not only do you know the quality of his work already, but cutting into an existing band to make a notch, then setting stones in to the band may be asking for trouble, IMO.

It is mostly preferable to start from scratch than it is to work on an existing piece.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with the jeweler you have already worked with...

I think modifying an existing piece can work if they are small modifications...once you start cutting and soldering and adding stones, especially if this is a jeweler you have never worked with, might be asking for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results