shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Tension Set Ring--Where?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
For those in-the-know for tension set rings...I''m looking for a way to get a custom piece designed with our own diamond (preferably ACA!) for my fiance for our wedding. We were originally thinking titanium & yellow gold, but I can do platinum & yellow gold if that is our only real choice.

I surfed around the web a bit but could not find contact information for Gelin/Abaci and/or Steven Kretchmer other than jewelers who sell their stuff ready made. Any recommendations or email addresses I can use for going direct? Please let me know...

Thanks!

Mara

pjblack

Rough_Rock
We recently purchased a tension set ring from Absolutetitanium.com. We love it. It is so unique. We purchased my diamond online and then shipped it to the Absolute Titanium company. It did take almost 9 weeks to get the ring back but now that I have it, and see how gorgeous it is, it was well worth the wait.

I went with a design that was offered by Absolute Titanium so I do not know if they will custom make a ring for you. I haven't seen anything anywhere about having a tension ring custom designed. Gook Luck to you though.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
PJ that is exactly what we want to do, buy our own diamond and then have it set into titanium which my fiance loves. Did you have any issues with shipping your new stone over to the company--will they take responsibility for it at that point or what? Please let me know how your experience was. The 9 weeks is not an issue, our wedding is in May but I do want to get things started now in case of long timelines like this one!

Thanks!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I thought about this too, and I even corresponded with Boone Rings (I think their name was)--he seemed happy to customize--but I read about people having trouble with stones falling out of tension rings when they bought from places other than the biggest, most experienced manufacturers, so in the end I chickened out.

pjblack

Rough_Rock
Mara, once we had our diamond, I shipped it Registered US mail to Absolute Titanium in NY. It cost us around $13 to ship and insure the diamond through the mail. From there, Absolute Titanium takes responsibility for the diamond. They then courrier the diamond to thier designer in Montreal PQ, in Canada. I am originally from Canada so I felt comfortable with this whole process.

I was then put in contact directly with the designer of the rings and we went over the size, width, and positioning of the stone in the setting. My stone is an emerald cut so I had to decide if I wanted it to sit east-west or the more traditional way. I chose east west which is how they have it set in thier displays on thier website. I went with the Excentris Inlay design in titanium and platnium.

Everyone I spoke with at the company was very professional. The day after I sent my diamond to the company, they raised thier prices. Of course they only charged me for the original price that was posted. Plus, when I had originally placed the order, I had told them I wanted the width of the band to be 5mm. The designer called me back and strongly suggested I increase the size to 6mm as at the 5mm size with consideration of the width of my diamond, she felt that she wouldn't be able to finish and detail the ring as carefully as she liked. Usually a 6mm width band would cost more than the 5mm width and I was not charged for that increase as well.

I spoke with many jewelers before deciding on going with the tension setting. Everyone I spoke with said they do not take responsibility for damage to the diamond during the setting process. Having your diamond set in a tension setting is no exception. I guess it the chance you have to take to get your own diamond set.

Overall I was extremely satisfied with the company. I absolutely love my ring. I have had it only 2 months and have had no problems. The I feel the stone is completely secure. Of course I never want anything to happen to my E-ring but it is insured just in case.

I had spoken with someone at Micky-Roof in regards to a Gelin and Abaci setting before we decided to go with Absolute Titanium. Micky Roof also said I could ship my own diamond to then to be set in a tension setting. I went with Absolute Titanium as I prefered the understated styles that Absolute Titanium designed over the Gelin and Abaci styles.

Before I shipped my diamond off I had it aparaised. The place I had it appraised said that once it was set, I could bring it back for a second appraisal to insure I received the same stone I sent. They were not going to charge for the second apraisal. I do not know if this is how all appraisals work or not. Unfortunately we ended up moving out of state before I got the ring back so I had to pay for a second appraisal anyways. Oh well, at least I know I got my stone back.

I hope this helps.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Mara,
I was just looking at this website, Devlinjewelry.com and came across and tension set diamond ring that looks pretty masculine.
The website says they do custom work.

Here's the link:

http://devlinjewelry.com/images/R159-4.5pt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results