shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Setting Prices

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

Just a general question if anyone has followed the jewelry industry for awhile... does custom setting prices tend to go up over time? Is it just general inflation or perhaps it matches the price in metal such as platinum? Or perhaps as LM, SK, VC etc get more and more well known, the prices change?

Did anyone else start a project earlier than the intended anniversary date to avoid these type of fees or is a minor thing to be concerned about? The custom price is what it is and just be done with it?

Thanks in advance!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think when jewelers get popular here on PS their prices rise dramatically. Of course in general prices rise for inflation and price of diamonds and metal, but I know certain vendors who are WAY more expensive now than they were a few years ago that can't be justified by inflation or material cost. I think a few of them have honestly priced themselves out a large chunk of the market.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's pretty common for prices to go up when demand increases. Although some of the vendors may have priced themselves out of the reach of some potential customers, they do have more than enough to keep them busy. I would expect rising prices. Personally. I would start a custom setting project when I am certain of my setting choice, regardless of pricing. And if the cost is too high for what I want, I skip it. And wait until I change my mind...again. :lol:

Regarding pricing. I won't ask one vendor to recrate something Created by another vendor simply bcause I will never be satisfied until I have it exactly the way the original vendor made it. And asking another vendor to copy will never get me that. I will just pick at it until I can't stand it anymore and get the iriginal setting anyway and spend twice the money! That is just me.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1468872460|4056801 said:
I think when jewelers get popular here on PS their prices rise dramatically. Of course in general prices rise for inflation and price of diamonds and metal, but I know certain vendors who are WAY more expensive now than they were a few years ago that can't be justified by inflation or material cost. I think a few of them have honestly priced themselves out a large chunk of the market.

Agree!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

I agree 100%! It's a real shame too. Personally, I would rather turn over more pieces for a modest profit than only a few for maximum profit...but what do I know, I'm in medicine.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
poshmommy|1468884253|4056872 said:

I agree 100%! It's a real shame too. Personally, I would rather turn over more pieces for a modest profit than only a few for maximum profit...but what do I know, I'm in medicine.

The thing is with the top ringmakers, they can only make so many a year. Victor is a good example. He has to give priority to the people who buy diamonds from him, and then he fits in others if he can. It's not a matter of charging less and making more. His shop makes as many as they have time to make. I am relatively sure that is true of Steven Kirsch, and I think it is true of Caysie van Bebber. Their benches can only make a limited number, and if the demand is there, they can charge what the market will bring for top quality. You have some jewelers like David Klass who may have access to more benches and who turns out a lot more rings and jewelry pieces at moderate prices.

As painful as it is, I appreciate heirloom quality, so I am willing to pay for it on the rare occasion that I have something custom made.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1468898330|4056984 said:
poshmommy|1468884253|4056872 said:

The thing is with the top ringmakers, they can only make so many a year. Victor is a good example. He has to give priority to the people who buy diamonds from him, and then he fits in others if he can. It's not a matter of charging less and making more. His shop makes as many as they have time to make. I am relatively sure that is true of Steven Kirsch, and I think it is true of Caysie van Bebber. Their benches can only make a limited number, and if the demand is there, they can charge what the market will bring for top quality. You have some jewelers like David Klass who may have access to more benches and who turns out a lot more rings and jewelry pieces at moderate prices.

As painful as it is, I appreciate heirloom quality, so I am willing to pay for it on the rare occasion that I have something custom made.

I totally agree... but it does burn a little when prices jump SO dramatically. I do think there are vendors who are charging outrageous amounts that have dramatically increased over the years that aren't just due to demand - just their inflated reputation. Those are the vendors I won't use or recommend.

P

PierreBear

Thank you for the comments. I hate to be specific but wonder if it also applies even more so to certain settings that make them well known? For instance VC's Emilia halo or LM reproducing the Boston Jeff look for cushions or LM and some of his emerald cut settings with french sides?

When planning for an upgrade do you consider the pricing of setting changes? Husband gave me the green light to potentially start the upgrade a bit sooner than discussed but I don't mind waiting for a bigger anniversary. Will this be costly to wait? Or we are just talking immaterial amounts of increase? Thanks in advance.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1468953110|4057241 said:
Thank you for the comments. I hate to be specific but wonder if it also applies even more so to certain settings that make them well known? For instance VC's Emilia halo or LM reproducing the Boston Jeff look for cushions or LM and some of his emerald cut settings with french sides?

When planning for an upgrade do you consider the pricing of setting changes? Husband gave me the green light to potentially start the upgrade a bit sooner than discussed but I don't mind waiting for a bigger anniversary. Will this be costly to wait? Or we are just talking immaterial amounts of increase? Thanks in advance.

I think you have to decide if you're willing to pay for exactly what you want even if it's more expensive. You never know how prices will change over the years, so you're always running a gamble to wait. Sometimes it's the same, it might be less... but... I coveted a SS setting for years and got a quote planning an eventual reset, and 2 years later it was several thousand dollars more. You can't really plan either way. I understand the Emilya has increased in price quite a bit in my years here FWIW.

P

PierreBear

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I've inquired with SS before and similar to yourself and they generally provided that they can't estimate prices but with the trends that it only goes higher. Wow, 2 years later and several thousands more?! Sorry that you weren't able to get that particular setting you were hoping off. I would think that a ceiling of pricing must be reached as people wouldn't want to allocate so much of their budget into the setting and take away from the actual stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results