shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom setting for my sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
So, I went to the LA jewelry district this weekend to see if a) there was a sapphire I liked more or b) how much a setting would cost if I kept the current one. We are now going with b) because I decided to keep the stone! I just couldn''t find a sapphire in that color that I liked as much....and I looked. The lavender color just really "gets" me!

I also decided I want a 3-stone setting. While I think halos are beautiful, I want a ring I can wear more on a regular basis and I think the halo might be too blingy for my office -- but it is definitely something to consider for my next project!

Below are the quotes I got -- can you guys let me know what you think?
a) WG, .5ctw (2 RBs, .25 each, VS clarity F/G color) $1,500
b)WG, .4ctw (2 RBs, .2 each, VS clarity F/G color) $1,400
c)WG, .4ctw (2 RBs, .2 each, SI clarity F/G color) $1,100
d)WG, .4ctw (2 RBs, .2 each, SI clarity G color) $738 (random)
e)WG, .4ctw (2 RBs, .2 each, SI clarity G color) $700-750

I think I am leaning towards going with e) because he is more local to me (not in the downtown district) and I just get a better feeling from the guy. There is still the option of the online vendor doing it, but I have to talk to them this week. Are these reasonable quotes? Should I be worried that two of them are much lower (a,b,c are from one guy, d is from a second guy and e is from my local guy)?

Thanks!!

RZ

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely go with the smaller diamonds. I think that the .50ctw would be too much for the center and over power it

My center is nearly 10x7.5 and the jeweler chose .07 side stones with 1 point diamond halos :)

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds pretty MustangFan...do you have a picture?

I think I am going to go with the smaller ones too..the jeweler is on vacation though and he won''t be back until thursday...I guess I''ll have to wait!

RZ

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I really wish I had a picture of it, I''m not engaged yet, but I definitely know the ring is done by now. We went to give the ok to make it and final alternations on December 3! With the halos around the side stones it will definitely give it a bigger look, but no smaller than .2 cts on each side.
I also have include a surprise sapphire bezel set in a heart
36.gif
36.gif
I''m getting excited just thinking about it!!
115U13.jpg
This is where I got the idea Scott Kay inspired...

sg_lp1683.jpg
but also very Simon G. inspired with my own twist, no millgrain though, it gave it to much of a chucky look for me

riogems

Shiny_Rock
There was a thread here on 3-stone rings. I''m not sure if anyone has a link to it -- but it had diagrams and is useful. I don''t know what size center you are putting in (or shape), but you can probably save some money by going with 0.17ct each. You don''t want the side stones to make the center stone appear small, so be sure to draw it out so you can visualize the 3 stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results