shape
carat
color
clarity

custom setting doubts, keeps flipping?

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, I am seeking advice on a .77 carat halo pendant necklace project I've been working on for a while that I've just received and I'm a little concerned about. Below is a walk through of the process, stone, setting, and final product, which I'd like feedback on.

Background --- Unlike most projects where I directly steer the process with the jeweler, I let a friend who works in the jewelry business (on the fashion / design side) handle it for me with her jeweler and I had minimal involvement throughout. This was great because something that I have been talking and researching and wanting to do for over 6-9 months now happened rather quickly, from diamond sourcing to setting etc (and FWIW she got me an incredible deal at wholesale pricing and is taking no commission / profit on it, just did it as a favor). The downside, though, is that I haven't had much control over it and now am trying to figure out how to fix the flipping issue before bringing it to her (I want to have solutions in mind first).

The diamond is on the left:

necklace_raw.jpg

GIA cert

necklace_cert.jpg

Wanting to keep the budget down but still wanting the impact of a larger diamond, I started hunting for flush-set halo pendants, that give more impact than simple bezels. I was originally inspired by this necklace on LoupeTroop from Snow White.

Here's the diamond in its setting, it's actually an earring jacket.

necklace_floater.jpg
necklace_hand2.jpg

the back

necklace_back.jpg

The main issue is that it flips a lot while on. I'm not sure if chain length is really a factor, it's more the fact that its flat on the front (I wanted it flush set and not raised up but I think the shape is making it flip a lot? Or maybe the way it's strung? I originally wanted it to move on the chain but now wonder if having the chain fixed would cure it a bit? I think I want to make the chain longer either way.

necklace4.jpg

here it is on me:

necklace5.jpg

Thanks in advance for any thoughts here!

PS–-- Shout out to my PriceScope fairy godmother Niel who was very helpful in discussing this project a while back on Pinterest. Dying for your thoughts on the update here!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no help with the flipping problem but just wanted to say how pretty it is!!!

I wonder if 2 thin chains hooked offset by one gallery bar might help? It's worth a try if you have another small chain laying around.

Does it flip with a longer chain on it?

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, TyTy! I'm really happy with how delicate it looks in person, while still being so noticeable and sparkly.

I don't care for the double chain look, but it might be worth a test! I can't add a chain as the back doesn't allow swapping, but I'm off to google gallery bars. Appreciate the recommendation so much.

I haven't tried it with a longer chain, and I'm hoping that it won't flip as much if it were an inch longer? I'm pretending to myself that there's physics at play here that I understand, but theoretically it seems like it would flip less, the more 'slack' there was in hanging down.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I'm just trying to think of things you can try and when you find out what works then try to implement something you like.

By gallery bars, I just mean the little bars on the back that go from the center of the pendant to the outside of the pendant
(the gallery).

I would try playing with different ideas to see what might stabilize it.

I think this setting is known not to flip. It has 3 bars in the back that go across the stone (in a triangle shape). Just FYI.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-pendants/the-barbara-pendant-18k-white-gold-5352w18

I'm sure Neil can advise when she comes on (or any others who have dealt with the flipping issue).

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
Oh that's a great idea! Thanks so much for the visual. I can't see why something like that couldn't be added to it! So helpful.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
update: so i've done a few tests with extenders and I think adding an inch may fix the flipping (when it's not pulled taut). So I'm going to give that a try first. If not, I might see about having it strung in a fixed way -- but I still continue to question the 'hack' of using an earring jacket for a pendant, regardless of how pretty it is.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting is absolutely beautiful! Have you tried wearing it on a slightly longer chain? I think the clavicle is a fairly "flippy" area because anatomically there's quite a bit going on there.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
long overdue update.... i made the chain an inch longer and it's not as big of an issue anymore!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chatbandit|1480148960|4102706 said:
long overdue update.... i made the chain an inch longer and it's not as big of an issue anymore!

Thats great! Simple fixes are usually the best/easiest!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results