shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom semi mount advice.

adstark

Rough_Rock
Hi all I am looking to have a custom antique setting made. I stumbled across Ilya Kunin of diamond zone and really like his designs, but am skeptical as to his prices. Has anyone used him before? Weights in grams he list for his pieces are about half of what similar items weigh. are his pieces hollow? notice most of his shanks taper down to nothing. Can anyone recommend him or another designer similar in style? My budget on ring is no more then 1k (Center stone is already purchased and not included in that price btw.)

While on the topic are there any threads on high quality vs low quality jewelry and what to look for? (I cant find any) I am new to this, and there is tons of info on buying a diamond and other jewels but nothing on the "metal work"

Thanks for any help in advance

nicoleanne

Shiny_Rock
Wink Jones of HPD had a document that I downloaded on jewelry/metalwork quality. I'll see if I can find it.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
What kind of setting are you looking for? It will helpful for people if we know what style, the shape of the stone, type of metal etc. is there a particular reason you want a custom setting? Different vendors have expertise in different types of settings. 1k might be tight for a custom setting.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Are we talking about diamond zone on ebay? If so I would avoid ebay rings for erings as I just don't think they hold up well for everyday wear. LOGR is another ebay vendor. I have several rings by them and while they are nice, I wouldn't want my ering from them.

An idea might be to buy a simple solitare for around $300 and then save up for an anniversary gift for the antique ring. That style is usual more expensive then others, so pending what you want want done 1k is probably not enough. But once again it is hard to say unless you post exactly what you are looking for.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Ilya has a store front in Chicago and also a bench in his store. His rings are made in house.

Another good value option is David Klass.

adstark

Rough_Rock
Sorry as I said new to this looking for decent antique style setting. Contacted Ilya through another site before seeing his ebay store. That's what made me question quality. Seeing as he has a bench in house makes me a bit less worried.
So back to details antique setting, round sapphire. Want ring to incorporate a celtic cross with some vine like carving one or two small side stones haven't found anything like it really looking at stores and online. This is closest I can find but want a more "defined cross" and just one stone at center instead of at points.and some vine like carving

_mg_6254.jpeg

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Not an expert but it seems like you're asking for a lot of design and fine metal work for $1k. Have you tried looking on Etsy to see what people are charging for Celtic inspired designs? Then you need to add to the amount for custom design.

I think the designs here look quite lovely:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/AdagioCustomDesigns?ref=seller_info_count

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results