Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Ring Settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GemLovers!

Rough_Rock
Hi,I am looking to get a custom setting made. I'm not near a major centre so I have limited options with regards to traditional jewellers to deal with but they have all quoted around $375 for 18K gold and $1200 for platinum. The setting will be a bypass style so it has a little more metal than a simple tiffany ring and will be a custom made by goldsmith (i.e. not just chosen from a catalog) as the options I've seen in catalogs for by pass styles were very limited. Hence I created my own sketches of what I wanted.I have all the diamonds (including the acent stones) which consist of 7 stones - 6 accents ranging from 2.5 to 3.5mm and a center 5x8 oval. All need to be claw set.Am I getting hosed? Are there any internet jewellers who create custom settings which work in platinum?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gemlovers,Here are some US jewelers who do custom work in platinum:Steve Livingston, www.demsjewelers.com
Joe Bacon, www.intellex.com~bacon www.tradeshop.com These guys are all very reputable and do beautiful work. Give them a call to compare prices, services, etc.In Canada, there is Michael Drechsler, www.3djeweler.com His site is very cool.
lawmax

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Hello,
A fair price for labor would roughly be $300 for an incredible model maker. The Platinum should cost you no more than $60 per pennyweight (as a reference, 20 pennyweights equals one ounce; or 32 grams = 1 ounce )
Depending on the thickness of the ring you desire, you should be looking at $600. So $900 should be fair..
Thank you.
[email protected] (model maker/JQ Magazine award designer)
JQ Magazine is a trade publication....

moediamond

Rough_Rock
As a frame of reference, Platinum is normally sold for $100+ per pennyweight at the retail level. For those of you who think Platinum is high $625/ounce, it's due to extraction costs of about $400/ounce. The $200+ goes to somebody- I don't know who??
18 months ago, extraction costs were $85/ounce - that's when Platinum was $350...
Nobody can "move" Platinum prices- not Gates not even Soros (who moved Gold 4 years ago )
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.