shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Ring Settings... question...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kzx87

Rough_Rock
I went to the local B&M to inquire about a custom ring setting because my girlfriend really likes the antique style that no one carries in stock, think faycullen.com. I took a bunch of pictures of styles she liked in with me and I found something that incorporated most of the things she likes and I want to purchase it, BUT... I want to make sure I'm not getting screwed on the setting because I was looking at stones to get a general sense of size etc.... They wanted to sell me a .74 G-SI1 for $5950 and I entertained his notion, but I knew it was way overpriced. I've since purchased a BN Sig-Ideal .80 F-VS2 for $4400 (that I have to pickup today since i missed the fedex man by 12 minutes) and I'm worried they will be insulted I didn't buy it from them. To their credit, the gentlemen did take me outside the store into the parking lot to show me the diamond in direct sunlight, which is usually not even close to standard operating procedure.

Now the ring setting. The ring setting is going to be a custom job and it entails channel set princess cut sapphires down the band (i can't remember if its 8 total or 16 total stones). The sides of the band have very detailed scroll/millework(sp?) and there are 8 small ideal cut diamonds total on the sides. It's a beautiful setting, but they quoted me $2100 for 14k white gold, $600 of that is labor. I would really love to get it in platinum and I think platinum is a possibility in my range, but I know if I ask for a quote in platinum they will quote me like $3k.

Are those price figures pretty close? (with obvious B&M markup though)
I don't want to get screwed like I would have been if I had actually bought that diamond they showed me.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
HOw much is Fay Cluuen charging for the setting your GF likes?

kzx87

Rough_Rock
they charge about 1500'ish, but they say they are a wholesale site and their return policy is incredibly strict to non-existant. buying the diamond sight-unseen is one thing, but the setting is another and I'd rather buy it locally with an understandable markup and to be able to have a place to get it serviced, cleaned, etc.

plus this ring is gonna have .60 TCW in diamonds and .75 TCW in sapphires.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2007 12:09:16 PM
Author: gail013
HOw much is Fay Cluuen charging for the setting your GF likes?
there have been issues with FC settings in the past.... do a search :)

kzx87

Rough_Rock
well i''m not gonna buy from FC regardless, just like their styles.

this is more about am I getting screwed on the setting at my local B&M

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen examples of other custom rings made by this jeweler? It would be far too risky to do it without that advantage. I''d want to look at them closely with a loupe to see how well they finish the ring, too. Then, assuming you know they do outstanding work, I''d want a drawing of the design and then possibly the opportunity to approve the wax before proceeding.
Oh, and I''d absolutely want 18k white gold over 14 because it is more durable and has more gold content. Whether it is worth it to pay the additional for the platinum would depend on the prices and your preferences. My ring was double in platinum, so I chose 18k and am happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results