shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom ring made into new ring?

ballandbiscuit

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure what the protocol is on this, so I thought I'd ask the peanut gallery. I previously purchased a custom platinum ring from a jeweler, but now would like a different ring. I could simply sell the ring and buy a new one, but since I'm planning on using the same jeweler I was wondering if it's common or acceptable to use the old ring's raw material to create the new one? Would it even be beneficial from a financial standpoint?

I wanted to check before asking the jeweler because I don't want to offend anyone! It seems like a practical request, but being a photographer, I know if someone asked me to destroy a piece I had sold them in order to reuse the frame or something I would be a little off put.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I doubt of they would be put off, but the best that you can expect as far as a financial return from this is about 15% to 20% of the initial cost to be put towards the new ring. If the existing ring is in good shape you may be able to get more for it by reselling it, than it's value as casting scrap. The other problem that often comes up is that an existing ring may have been soldered in places and this solder is incompatible with recasting the metal as it can make it brittle or porous. Most jewelers who use old rings for casting will just use a small portion of them and use fresh metal for the rest in order to get a good casting.

Offending them is not a worry as I'm sure that they would prefer you to return and have them make the new ring as opposed to you going elsewhere to avoid offending them. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask and see what they'll do for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results