shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom ring Idea? will it work?

123Lukie

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone this is my first post and I am so thankful to have found this site as it is exactly what I have been looking for...Ok here it goes. I have a plan to ask a girl to marry me here in the next few months. I have been working on this for a while. Right now I am currently in Alaska for the summer because well its something I always wanted to do and figure might as well do it before settling down. Plus while up here I also figured I could do a little gold panning to try and get enough gold for the ring. So far I have been a lucky in finding it. I was told that the actual amount in an engagement ring is only 1/10 of an ounce? I think I could get this and even more. My understanding is that the ring will not be entirely made from gold but will have other metals added to it. My question is can I pay someone to take my gold and make it into a ring? Also I will be using stones from my grandmothers ring as well. Not because I am cheap but I want it to be special, My grandmother was a very special lady so I want to see that another special girl has it too. I will be in the Dallas area for about 3 weeks (late August-mid Sept) before heading back to her. Would it be possible to have the ring made in this short amount of time? Also does anyone know of a person I could contact who does good work in the Dallas area. And lastly how much would something like this cost? Haha cause I have to find out how many of my things I have to sell to get it done : )

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your idea is intriguing and very thoughtful... I do not know any sources in Dallas but there is an Etsy vendor -- RavensRefuge -- who possibly could do the work for you. One of their listings expressly says a wedding band/stacking ring can be made from your own gold (here's the link: http://www.etsy.com/listing/74698819/wedding-band-stacking-ring-using-your -- and if a stacking ring could be made, I'd think an engagement ring could also be made (though the cost and amount of gold required would probably increase).

I had them make a three-stone ring for me and I sent in my own gemstones, so I know they will accept customer-owned stones... and Dan is a goldsmith and craftsman with an eye for detail and perfectionist tendencies who does beautiful work, and customer relations is handled online expertly and expeditiously by Laura (his wife). The process for my ring took 4-5 weeks but I had no time urgency and my ring is basically a one-of-a-kind -- I was always kept current on the status as it progressed along and was in no hurry. I do know they do plenty of work for brides and grooms -- if you're interested in working with them I'd contact them through their Etsy site and provide your date parameters and ring ideas and see what they come back with.

Hopefully others with contacts in the Dallas area will chime in with recommendations for brick-and-mortar establishments for you as well. Good luck with your project (and your gold-panning)!

luckky

Shiny_Rock
That's such a thoughtful sweet idea! :appl: Good luck and please keep us posted and sharing some picture if it complete. Good luck!

123Lukie

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mary, I have just sent an email to him, Actually if he can do it, it may work out perfect because we will be driving through portland on our way back from Alaska. Luckky I will be sure to keep you guys updated with pics : )

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I have no advice other than to say I love the sentiment behind your idea! I hope you are able to find a jeweler who ACTUALLY uses the gold, not just one who tells you they will in order to earn your business.

Best of luck!

123Lukie

Rough_Rock
Hey Mary just wondering how much did your ring cost to have done? Im just curious, thanks Luke

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results