shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Platinum Wedding Band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bueroj

Rough_Rock
I purchased a nice three diamond ring (oval shaped diamonds) mounted on platinum for my bride-to-be''s engagement ring and I am now looking to get a custom fitting platinum band for the wedding band.

I have received mixed advice from two local jewelers. One advised me to have them simply order a platinum band of the desired width and they will modify it to go around the diamonds and have a flush mount to the engagement band. The other jeweler advised me to get a custom mold of the engagement band and have a platinum band made to fit it perfectly.

My question is, will having a pre-made band modified cause any issues? The second jeweler said that the modified band would crack after only a few months and that they would have to use solder to fill in the band to make it match perfectly.

Please help!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to PS
35.gif

If it were me I would want one I know was custom made for my piece. I would be worried about modifying a stock piece for durablity issues. Plus I think a custom band would probably end up looking more "finished". Were you planning on soldering them together anyway?

bueroj

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback! I still welcome more though!

Yes, once we are married we intend on soldering the two pieces together. Does that change your advice?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'm going the custom w-band route as well as I need a curved band with channel-setting.

I've spoken to about 5 different jewellers so far and all of them have said that it needs to be made specifically for my e-ring.

I would be very wary of trying to bend one to fit.
23.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2008 7:02:41 AM
Author: bueroj
Thanks for the feedback! I still welcome more though!

Yes, once we are married we intend on soldering the two pieces together. Does that change your advice?
No not really. Just that if you are soldering them the wedding band may be less likely to crack or bend if it''s forced to fit (for example going the non-custom route). Given this will most likely be a lifetime piece I would go custom, since it will get a lot of wear and tear. I also think it will look better, like it was made to go with the ering (since it was) and not forced to fit. If you can afford to go custom I would I feel lilke it would not only look better, but also be more durable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results