shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom-made earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
What''s he like to work with?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They should not be difficult to make, but you ought to see where and how they dangle and hinge. I have a feeling that they are flexible at the top of the pear shaped outline. THey probably swing back and forth where they seem to join the diamond below the upper stone. Also, do they flex or dangle from below the upper stone, too, or are they more or less rigid?

These are finer points, but will help to get them made in an elegant way and not a faulty copy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 12:47:11 PM
Author: Harriet
What''s he like to work with?
He was a pleasure to work with. He just made a RHR for me.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 4:58:37 PM
Author: oldminer
They should not be difficult to make, but you ought to see where and how they dangle and hinge. I have a feeling that they are flexible at the top of the pear shaped outline. THey probably swing back and forth where they seem to join the diamond below the upper stone. Also, do they flex or dangle from below the upper stone, too, or are they more or less rigid?

These are finer points, but will help to get them made in an elegant way and not a faulty copy.
Good questions. I will do some due diligence.

Incidentally, for something so small (1.5 cwt), what are the lowest-graded stones I can use? Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For something with small melee, I''d personally go with G-H and VS since they won''t be all that expensive compared to large stones. Anything made by Leon is destined to become an heirloom, so I''d go as high quality as I could.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I just had a pendant made and they put ten ideal cut diamonds totalling .75 carats around my center stone. I went with F/G VS diamonds because as Diamond Seeker stated the cost isn't that much greater when you are using smaller stones. That is also what Whiteflash used for the stones on my shared prong bangle bracelet.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a .41 Lucida (my original e-ring). Will it be too big as the top stone for this pair of earrings? Also, would I have to buy a matching Lucida, or is there a very similar cut?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My feeling is that it would be hard to match up another diamond to pair with your Lucida. But that is a terrific idea to use the Lucida for the top part of a pendant that has a drop. Not sure I am explaining that well enough, but it would make good use of the Lucida. Maybe I can find a picture of what I mean. I''d make the earrings like the picture with rounds.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet, please consider not breaking up your original ering - the Lucida is a cut only Tiffs does - the real value in it is that it is original and people who know the Lucida cut/setting know it is a Lucida when they see it - if you break it up people will not recognize it. Would you consider holding onto it for posterity, maybe to pass on to a child? Another option would be to sell it to signed pieces, but it would be great if you kept it!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
That might be the best option. Signed Pieces offered me a mere 1/3 of what we paid, so that's a no. Another altermative would be to do a trade up at Tiffany, but then we'd have to pay their markup (unless they have something unique that we can't find elsewhere).

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 10:50:10 PM
That''s what we may end up doing. Signed Pieces offered me a mere 1/3 of what we paid, so that''s a no.
bet you could get more than that on ebay.... look at what it SELLS for on signed pieces and undercut that a bit...

but I''d keep it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know Tiffany''s trade-up policy?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2007 10:50:10 PM
That might be the best option. Signed Pieces offered me a mere 1/3 of what we paid, so that''s a no. Another altermative would be to do a trade up at Tiffany, but then we''d have to pay their markup (unless they have something unique that we can''t find elsewhere).
What about just resizing it to a pinky ring?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, not appealing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would they applu the ''trade up'' to a wedding band and a gift card? You can use a wedding band... and the gift card would just be good to have.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure. I do know that the trade-up has to be for a diamond that costs at least twice as much.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have any emotional attachment to the ring?

Have you considered having the stone incorporated into a pendant?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tiff''s allows one trade up, but know of others that have done it more than once.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 4:44:23 PM
Author: dtnyc

Sounds terrible, but not really.
Any design ideas?

Brilliant_Rock
For a restocking fee (I think 10%?), Tiffs takes returns on ER - that may be your best option if you are not attached. OR, you could keep it for when you wanted to have some little bling to wear! (like if you volunteer in a soup kitchen or something, then you wouldn''t need to wear your bigger ring)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's no time limit? Btw, I just called them -- you have to trade up for a diamond e-ring that is twice the price. I really don't want to buy another diamond ring from them again.

Brilliant_Rock
No time limit that I am aware of - I have friends who were engaged for several months, she called off the engagement, missed the ''return deadline'' because it had been several months (haha, now they are back together, a case of the cold feet involving her moving back to Minnesota with cold feet, and then back to LA when she realized Minnesota wasn''t what she remembered and that she really missed him, but that is another story!) - maybe it was because he told them that the engagement was called off? They did take it back, with the 10% restocking fee (I am pretty positive he said it was 10%). If you really do want to return it, maybe your fiancee can tell them that you dumped him!
2.gif

I did think it was really good customer service that they took it back, bc it would make the guy more likely to purchase when the time came around again.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s been 5 years.

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! LOL! Gee, that is longer than I was thinking. Maybe your fiancee could call and test the waters? "we never made it to the altar", etc?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tsk, tsk -- that would be unethical.

Brilliant_Rock
But you haven''t made it to the altar yet, have you? I still would rec keeping it, although the ebay idea was good too - you could require it be a local purchase and meet at a prearranged location.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 8:41:14 PM
Date: 1/16/2007 4:44:23 PM

Author: dtnyc

Sounds terrible, but not really.

Any design ideas?

It's not terrible at all that you aren't attached to the stone- I wouldn't be either- at the same time, it's a gorgeous stone, so if you have it you might as well wear it.

It's a .41 right?

Your new e-ring stone is much larger correct? I would suggest doing a halo of some sort- maybe a halo of baguettes or baguettes along the side w/ a small round in the corners?

ETA- Just looked on the Tiff website- what about doing something like this but w/ the lucida as the center stone?

18315424_xl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results