shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
For those of you that opted to design your own ering. How long did the process take and how many CAD images did you all have to go through to get what you wanted. Im on my third and I hate feeling like im a bother
40.gif
What was the process like for you? TIA!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 1:35:56 PM
Author:Officers girl
For those of you that opted to design your own ering. How long did the process take and how many CAD images did you all have to go through to get what you wanted. Im on my third and I hate feeling like im a bother
40.gif
I totally know what you mean and I''m nervous about that as well... I don''t want to come off as to anal or too picky, but I really don''t want to wear the ring that would result if I wasn''t LOL

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It varies, depending on the person and how detail oriented they are. Many of our clients just say, make it something like this. Others want to see every detail.

Trust me, it is okay to be detail oriented. Much better to say, "no that is not what I meant" and to be picky during the CAD process than to say, "No, that is not what I meant" after the piece is finished.

If your vendor gets the sense that he will not be able to make you happy, then he will tell you that you need to find another vendor. Do not comprimise and allow the piece top be built until you are satisfied that it is what you are going to want. Usually after you approve the CAD you will be liable for paying for the piece even if you now do not like the design since it is what you approved. (DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DO NOT APPROVE IF YOU DO NOT LIKE!)

Wink

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
40.gif
I didn''t use CAD images, but I know I exasperated my jeweler with how detailed I was.
4.gif
I came in at various stages in the process to approve things, and the whole process took 14 weeks. In the end, I was very happy with the ring. Definitely better to get things tweaked and changed during the creation process than after the ring is completed.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/5/2007 1:49:59 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

40.gif
I totally know what you mean and I''m nervous about that as well... I don''t want to come off as to anal or too picky, but I really don''t want to wear the ring that would result if I wasn''t LOL
Cehra answered while I was typing. This is a lady who knows what she wants. I have a folder with twelve pictures in it from her so far to work up a design from. She, Ocean Pearlman, the designer, and I will all be on a "one to many" presentation this afternoon at 4PM EST to talk through much of the very process that you are asking about. It might be valuable for you to attend if you are able to.

At this point in time I do not even know if I will be allowed to do the piece, this is just the exploratory session to see if Cehra and Ocean can communicate at the level necessary to ensure a good result. Either of us can tell the other NO at this stage and walk away from the project.
Our project will be compounded by the complexity of the work that Cehra wants done and the attention to detail that she has, which ironically actually makes it easier for everyone to know if we can meet each others needs, and most importantly that she is one place, Ocean is in another, and I am in still another location. It is amazing what the internet can allow us to do.

Wink

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
Just curious but you ladies know that the CAD design in 3D rendered format is not always exactly how the ring finishes after set and polished, right? For example when they design it the prongs look thicker and perhaps squared and very long, the channels that hold the diamonds look thicker, maybe it doesn''t have a rounded edge exactly like you thought, etc. This is because when it''s cast it''s cast with a little extra material so it can be shaped/polished like you intended later. Or it could look all flat because there are no holes for the pave work, etc. so the diamond setter can make it as tight as possible. So you just have to have a little faith :)

PearNut

Rough_Rock
I just started the process on Friday - he estimated 4 weeks, we''ll see - I told him how apprehensive I was about the whole process and he said that he would show it to me at several steps along the way and I can make any changes I want to the wax.

He seems to know what I want more than I do. See my comments under the subject Pear w/side stones - I had a question on price and if it seems adequate.

Any suggestions for the journey would be great!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 2:49:53 PM
Author: Adylon
Just curious but you ladies know that the CAD design in 3D rendered format is not always exactly how the ring finishes after set and polished, right? For example when they design it the prongs look thicker and perhaps squared and very long, the channels that hold the diamonds look thicker, maybe it doesn''t have a rounded edge exactly like you thought, etc. This is because when it''s cast it''s cast with a little extra material so it can be shaped/polished like you intended later. Or it could look all flat because there are no holes for the pave work, etc. so the diamond setter can make it as tight as possible. So you just have to have a little faith :)
I think more than faith you have to have good communication. When you see the cad and then the wax and there are (in my case) 8 square beams sticking straight up, I need more than faith to get me through it - I need to KNOW that the jeweler KNOWS that I want 8 curvy swoops and she needs to EXPLAIN that yes, it will be 8 curvy swoops and that this is not a communication breakdown.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 4:37:43 PM
Author: PearNut
I just started the process on Friday - he estimated 4 weeks, we''ll see - I told him how apprehensive I was about the whole process and he said that he would show it to me at several steps along the way and I can make any changes I want to the wax.

He seems to know what I want more than I do. See my comments under the subject Pear w/side stones - I had a question on price and if it seems adequate.

Any suggestions for the journey would be great!
If I had suggestions.... LOL I wish I had suggestions!! I guess - just don''t hesitate to say "wait a second, I''m not sure about...." I did that today during the session.... at one point, actually at two points, the designer questioned and even disagreed with a design element and I felt kinda uncomfortable, especially since there was an audience haha, saying that I wanted it anyway.... but after discussing it some more she was able to see what I was talking about and then agreed it could be done. If I''d just kept my mouth shut I might have agreed to something I really didn''t want just because I hadn''t made my ideas clear enough for her to understand how I thought it could work.

It is awesome when you share an intuitive moment, but sometimes it takes explaining not only a few times, but a few different ways.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve had 2 custom peices done. neither had cads for me to see. The first was an eternity band so it was pretty straight forward. The second was a ring that was made by Quest. They usually do cads then cast but the design of the ring I wanted them to make was a little tricky and do to my small finger size (3.5) they had to make the whole thing by hand so I was left blinded. It was very nervewracking for me and they actually remade the ring 2x before they let me see the finished one because they were not happy with the results. The final product ended out to be exactly like I had hoped but was still a difficult process to have to just wait and not be sure of the final outcome. I still haven''t decided on a new setting for my upgrade but really do want to find something that I can try on and order knowing ahead of time exactly how it will look. (of course some of the custom projects going on around here now sure do look tempting
32.gif
2.gif
)

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
I''m in the midst of a custom job too, and I have wondered the same things! I have just received the first rendering and already had a bunch of changes...so its is good to know that these changes don''t mean i''m being too picky or difficult!!

Good luck...you''re almost there!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results