shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Design Pave Settings-NYC Designers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fasinateme

Rough_Rock
Hello, I''ve been reading these postings for some time however this is my first entry. I''ve been with my boyfriend for almost two years and I think a ring is coming.

Although he wants everything to be a surprise, I''ve gotten involved in the process (and help give that added push!) I am in love with Michael B settings, micro pave three sided with the pave going up the setting. I really hope I''m explaining this correctly.

If I wanted a similiar ring custom made (without paying the $10,000+ Michael B charges) where and who in NYC would you recommend? I''ve seen postings for Leon Mege. However every shop in the diamond district recommends using their own "designer" and they will give us "a discount" if we buy both the diamond and the setting from them.

I''ve worked in the jewelry industry before, and I know something about castings, ect. However, there seems to be a lot to ask and look for when contacting a designer. Does anyone have a designer they would recommend and if so what are the questions I should be asking?

Will we have to accept a ring if the final product is not perfect or what we expected?
Any input or guidance would be appreciated. I just love this forum, and since I want everyone to be surprised there isn''t anyone else I can discuss this with.

Looking forward to your responses,

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have any new recommendations, but Leon Mege''s work is top notch. With pave, I really think you get what you pay for so I would be hesitant to go with the lowest bid without seeing actual sample work. Leon has a great reputation...contact him for a quote.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hello fasinateme
35.gif
welcome to ps!

if you want a michael b, i would highly recommend getting the original. his settings are so intricate and well made (and expensive!) but as you already mentioned, the next best would be leon. i wouldn''t just trust anyone to make 3sided pave'' you need to have it done by one of these craftsmen that excel at it. if you don''t want to pay the designer price but want a quality product, call leon.

best of luck in whatever you decide!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Leon Mege’s pave work is exquisite. If you love the micro pave look, he can do it. But you also have to like his style. Between his website and the Leon Mege postings here if you see what you like, that’s the place to get it done.

I got my stone from WhiteFlash and sent it to Leon to set. WF also does beautiful custom settings with and without pave and there are a bunch of examples posted on PS. GoodOldGold is another in NY that gets rave reviews for their stone selection as well as custom settings. There are so many great designers its hard to pick from all of them. But if you see a lot of great photos, great recommendations and happy customers, you can base your selection on that.

What’s important is finding a custom designer that you can work well and communicate with. And everyone has different styles of communication. Some will show you pictures of wax models or CAD representations. Leon does not. So when you are looking for someone to work with ask those sorts of questions.

fasinateme

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for responding to me. I have been reading these forums for quite sometime and just today decided I needed some "support".

Leon Mege is someone who we need to contact, and I look forward to working with him. What worries me is the entire process. How long does it typically take for custom work? Do we need to have the same person who makes the ring also set the stone?

I apologize for being clueless, I truly never thought this day would come. Now, it seems like there are so many questions, and I''m afraid of paying such substaintial money and then not absolutely loving the final design. To me the Michael B 3 sided pave, does not look all that complicated, however I know that things could go wrong.

Every diamond dealer on 47th street "claims" they could make something similiar with "no problem". That worries me.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2006 12:32:44 PM
Author: belle
hello fasinateme
35.gif
welcome to ps!

if you want a michael b, i would highly recommend getting the original. his settings are so intricate and well made (and expensive!) but as you already mentioned, the next best would be leon. i wouldn''t just trust anyone to make 3sided pave'' you need to have it done by one of these craftsmen that excel at it. if you don''t want to pay the designer price but want a quality product, call leon.

best of luck in whatever you decide!

i agree with belle. You also might want to check out Pearlmans deals section. He''s got a a couple of michael b princess rings in there for a great price that includes top notch center stones. also, the MB pave rings don''t look complicated b/c he''s a master at making them. there are plenty of others who have tried and the pave doesn''t look smooth, the beads aren''t as perfect..etc. stick with the real deal or someone you know has the art of pave mastered like Leon.

fasinateme

Rough_Rock
Hi, Thank you again for your help. Yes I have been on the Pearlmans site. We are looking at a 2.5 carat princess cut diamond to set in the 3 sided micro pave setting.

After reading the comments and forums on Leon, I am not sure if he is someone we want to work with. I know we have to be careful about getting a quality craftesman to do the piece, however I am curious if anyone else could recommend designers in the NYC area that are reliable and a pleasure to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results