shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom band do-over - help me get it right, please!

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, everyone! Hoping you all can offer some advice on my band design do-over.

Last week I received the new eternity band that I had finally decided on, after nearly a year of trying so many different styles. I wanted a new band to go with my DK 6-prong knife edge solitaire - you would think it would be so easy! But it just wasn't. I think my solitaire wants to be with a daintier band, but I have really been wanting to make a band with larger stones happen. So eventually it turned out that a single prong style (aka floating / bubble band) that I tried on in a local shop was the one! I was surprised as I hadn't been drawn to them before, but on the finger and next to my solitaire, it instantly made me light up.

The tag said .70 ct and it had 11 stones, so .06 each, right? I went home and studied more pictures online, searched for similar styles and momentarily considered another similar option (Blue Nile), tried to figure out how to make the prongs different, etc, over several weeks ! just to make certain. I found that Ring Concierge has one with the same size stones as the jewelry store, .06 or 2.5mm, and it was listed as 2mm high, just what I needed for my profile height/depth so it was good to know it was possible.

While this is a very common style, I decided to ask DK to make it for me, so I could be sure to get it right - mainly to be sure to get that low 2mm profile I needed to pair well with my e ring. I gave him the stone size and measurements from the jewelry store band and RC inspo band and my pictures of them.

Well... now that I have the custom band on my hand, it's not quite right. It's painful to be so darn picky and particular sometimes.

Comparing photos of mine with the one I tried in the store and the other inspiration photos I sent - it’s not the same. The diamonds are a little closer together in my band. I'm sure many people wouldn't notice as we're talking probably a couple tenths of a mm ?? But I do see the difference, and in person it’s more noticeable to me than in my photos.

The stones being slightly closer together somehow makes the band have a totally different look and feel to me, almost a bulky feel. Again, not so much in photos, but in person, the round stones look almost hexagonal or something, the roundness appears cut off. And I think another illusion that's happening from the stones being closer together is that the stones look slightly smaller than the jewelry store one ?

I hoped to stop fretting about such a minuscule difference and fall in love with my beautiful new eternity band. But it's been a week and it hasn't grown on me, and I haven't stopped thinking if it only had that extra bit of space it would have a much different feel, more light and airy and floaty like the one in the store.

So I'm going to try again. I've requested slightly more spacing, and DK said that would require removing a stone in order to keep the same ring size - and he added he hopes that I don't think it's going to be too much metal between the stones - eek. I had figured there may be a possibility of losing a stone to get more spacing, but not that "too much metal" could be something to consider. What do you all think? Go for it - or better to go up a little in ring size to stretch just a smidge and keep the same number of stones? Am I missing anything else I should ask for in the next one - like, try to get the depth even lower as well ? TIA!

IMG_0784.jpg
IMG_0783.jpg
Below: profile view of jewelry store band on top, new DK band on bottom - how much wider is that space between the stones?
IMG_0842.JPG
this comparison below was the inspo band compared to my 2nd CAD before the ring was made - I was so focused on getting to a 2mm profile that I didn't notice the spacing difference that I clearly see now
IMG_0463.JPG

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
not the best photos, but I had a 7 stone band made by DK several years ago with a similar setting. My stones are .17 ct each so take that into consideration, but I do think if I had my stones farther apart there would be too much metal as mentioned. But it also has a very low profile like yours. Did you ask how much ring size you would need to go up to do what you want? That would be how I would decide. Because the comment of "too much metal" makes me think that removing a stone might be too much space. And just remember all .06 stones are not necessarily the exact same size since it's weight, not a measurement of actual mm size.So your stones and the stones at the jewelry store may be the same carat weight but not be the same size in measurements.
IMG_5087.jpg
IMG_5085.jpg

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
not the best photos, but I had a 7 stone band made by DK several years ago with a similar setting. My stones are .17 ct each so take that into consideration, but I do think if I had my stones farther apart there would be too much metal as mentioned. But it also has a very low profile like yours. Did you ask how much ring size you would need to go up to do what you want? That would be how I would decide. Because the comment of "too much metal" makes me think that removing a stone might be too much space. And just remember all .06 stones are not necessarily the exact same size since it's weight, not a measurement of actual mm size.So your stones and the stones at the jewelry store may be the same carat weight but not be the same size in measurements.
IMG_5087.jpg
IMG_5085.jpg

Thanks! Ooh I love yours so much! I really want one with larger stones too, for a stand alone band.

I mentioned that I could go up a little over my ring size, but he didn’t say if that would help, so I’m assuming not. I guess it would have to be a tiny amount like a hundredth of a mm between each stone to not add too much to the size. I asked if he could show me a drawing with one less stone. I suppose I might have to forget about the extra spacing I would like if I want to stick with a full eternity.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
514BDBC4-C4E7-45AE-BE3A-9FC193DD34C4.jpeg

Super unscientific and hard to tell with the angle - but I agree that it’s not adjusting spacing issue/metal issue to get the look you want.
It’s the difference in diameter of the diamonds.

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
514BDBC4-C4E7-45AE-BE3A-9FC193DD34C4.jpeg

Super unscientific and hard to tell with the angle - but I agree that it’s not adjusting spacing issue/metal issue to get the look you want.
It’s the difference in diameter of the diamonds.

Ok thank you, I’ve been thinking that could likely be it. Pooh. I tried another one in the store that calculated to 10 pointers but the smaller one looked better with my e ring. Like Lookinagain said there’s a range of measurements in the same carat weight but I’m wondering now if 2.7mm would have been better for the look I want

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results