shape
carat
color
clarity

cushions- square or rectangle- any advantages??

littleB

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm currently looking at cushion cuts, in the 1.5 range, but have noticed that they definitely face up much smaller.
I understand that a lot of the carat weight is in the depth. I was just wondering if this is any less on an issue in rectangular/elongated cushions?

Thanks in advance

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every cushion is different, although in general, they are deeper and can face up smaller than less deep stones due to that. It doesn't matter if they are more square or rectangular. The key is to look at diameter measurements instead of weight. You could have a 1 ct cushion that is smaller in diameter than a .80, for example.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To add to DS's sound advice, a rectangular diamond can help elongate a short / stubby finger, making the stone look larger than it really is. It is an illusion that fools the eye. That said, I am drawn to perfectly square shapes and do not like rectangular shapes.

sharonyanddave

Rough_Rock
littleB|1447977305|3951895 said:
Hi, I'm currently looking at cushion cuts, in the 1.5 range, but have noticed that they definitely face up much smaller.
I understand that a lot of the carat weight is in the depth. I was just wondering if this is any less on an issue in rectangular/elongated cushions?

Thanks in advance

Cushion cuts face up smaller than what a 'round brilliant'?

Some are less spready and some are more. In general most cushion cuts are not cut as deep as round brilliants.

Does a square with the same surface area look smaller than a circle? Does a rectangle look bigger than a square? These are perceptual questions and not always easy to answer.

You will lose symmetry which will often affect brilliance going from a square to a rectangular cushion.

But these are general trends it would be better to compare actual examples.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results